It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U. S. to establish normal relations with Cuba

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
(Reuters) - President Barack Obama announced the United States would restore diplomatic relations it severed with Cuba more than 50 years ago, drawing resistance from lawmakers opposed to reconciling with the communist-run island.

After 18 months of secret talks facilitated by the Vatican and Canada, Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro agreed by phone on Tuesday on a prisoner exchange and the opening of embassies in each other's countries.

So here it begins, the normalization of relations between the two countries. Lets all go vacation in Havana. I want to take up the bongos, it s on my bucket list. Viva La Revolucion!!

www.reuters.com...
edit on 17-12-2014 by HUMBLEONE because: EMBRACE ABSURDITY NOW!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
It will be awhile before we're able to take vacations there. For now I've read that travel is limited to, family, educational, and military reasons.

But you can bring back $100 worth of Cuban cigars if you manage to get over there.

ETA: The media is making it seem as if a lot of Cuban Americans are not too pleased by this announcement. Aside from the obvious reasons, it would be nice to know what the average Cuban thinks about this news.
edit on 17-12-2014 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I can't believe Fidel Castro is still with us, he must be 173.

This little snippet was interesting to read.

Former Florida Governor - and potential 2016 Republican presidential candidate - Jeb Bush was cited by USA Today as saying, "I don't think we should be negotiating with a repressive regime to make changes in our relationship."

There you go, a Bush reverting to type, Cuba all part of the axis of evil.

edit on 17/12/14 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Like one of Custer's scouts said to him when asked what the proper course of action was…

"You go down there."

What amazes me is the response to "normalizing relations" is from some Americans. We go down there and lalala around town buying touristy things. They been getting pissed on by America for half a century, do you think they will just forget al about that, spread rose petals in your path and welcome you with open arms?

If I was a impoverished Cooban who's family had suffered under the yoke of American sanctions for decades and I saw an American Tourist bopping down the road in my town, I might be thinking of more than stealing his camera or wallet.

"You go down there."

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
All I can say is "it's about time!"

having normalized relations will only help IMO, I think 50 years is a long enough sample to say that the US plan to seek regime change has failed...

Time to try again, and this is a good first start.

Now if they would tackle the Korean War cease fire agreement, and end that Cold War relic...

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

I agree, it's about time. Countries have to start getting along and putting their differences aside. The only way change will happen in a communist country is when their people are free to travel to free and open democracies. Casual discussions and making friends with visiting tourists will only build a desire for change within their own country. When you seclude a country and create sanctions that only hurts the citizens, it only helps keep their government in control. Small bites of freedom creates a desire for more. Obama did the right thing.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Like one of Custer's scouts said to him when asked what the proper course of action was…

"You go down there."

What amazes me is the response to "normalizing relations" is from some Americans. We go down there and lalala around town buying touristy things. They been getting pissed on by America for half a century, do you think they will just forget al about that, spread rose petals in your path and welcome you with open arms?

If I was a impoverished Cooban who's family had suffered under the yoke of American sanctions for decades and I saw an American Tourist bopping down the road in my town, I might be thinking of more than stealing his camera or wallet.

"You go down there."

Oy! Mr. Negative over here! "You go down there" really? Dude I'm not touching that one! Thanks for our comment!

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

originally posted by: intrptr

"You go down there."

"You go down there."
Oy! Mr. Negative over here! "You go down there" really? Dude I'm not touching that one! Thanks for our comment!

Ever see "Little Big Man"? Older US movie…

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Does normalized relations mean that now we will send in the CIA to destabilize the county and start a fake counter revolution?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Was this move by the Pretender In Chief APPROVED by Congress ? If not , it is just another Example of how Obama is Breaking the RULE OF LAW yet Again for his own Selfish Political Reasons .......

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: majesticgent
ETA: The media is making it seem as if a lot of Cuban Americans are not too pleased by this announcement. Aside from the obvious reasons, it would be nice to know what the average Cuban thinks about this news.

We have a Cuban-American family friend back in Florida who's ecstatic about this. According to him, few Cuban-Americans are opposed to normalized relations because hey, if we can tolerate China & Vietnam, for example, why not Cuba, too?

I lived in FL my whole life, had many Cuban-American friends in those years. Not once have I ever heard someone say we'd be hated for visiting there. I'd always heard that they'd love to have us visit, because they DO like us citizens. It's the government that is a sore spot for some. The parents/grandparents of these 1st/2nd generation folks would love to go back and give us the grand tour if they could.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
All I can say is "it's about time!"

Ditto.

I'm still annoyed when we refused their help during Katrina. Sometimes our so-called leaders act like nothing but spoiled, petulant children.
edit on 12/17/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Welcome to the 21st century, my American neighbors. The sanctions against the Cuban People only worsen their way of life. Maybe the Cubans will be friends in the future instead of foes.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

, Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro agreed by phone on Tuesday on a prisoner exchange and the opening of embassies in each other's countries.

So here it begins, the normalization of relations between the two countries. Lets all go vacation in Havana. I want to take up the bongos, it s on my bucket list. Viva La Revolucion!!

Say good buy to cheap vacations. As a canadian that's what I love about Cuba. Damn...

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
already posted in same forum

li nk

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Was this move by the Pretender In Chief APPROVED by Congress ? If not , it is just another Example of how Obama is Breaking the RULE OF LAW yet Again for his own Selfish Political Reasons .......

The president can set the direction for foreign policy without the approval of congress.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

The president can set the direction for foreign policy without the approval of congress.

But much of that is useless unless Congress lifts the embargoes.

top topics

join