It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriotic movies get snubbed by Hollywood

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
patriotic-movies-get-snubbed

Is “Unbroken,’’ the much-anticipated film directed by Angelina Jolie, too unapologetically patriotic for Hollywood’s anti-American sensibilities?

Hollywood had an opportunity this year to honor two films that portray values dear to most American hearts and minds. But the nominations announced last week for the Screen Actors Guild Awards and Golden Globes laid bare the prejudice that rules a bizarro world in which nudity and rampant sexuality are promoted at the expense of monogamy and flag-waving.

It just seems par for the coarse that they would ignore films that seek to honor those that protect us while at the same time they will highlight such other films that seek to inflame our enemies.

One could say that they do not realize the implications of there actions but imo they know full well after yrs of study what reactions to events will be.

Also here is a link to the reaction of all this by the guy that killed ubl's body double.imo

video.foxnews.com... oneill-reacts-to-life-of-us-hero-snubbed-by-hollywood/
edit on 17-12-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
nypost.com... y-hollywoods-awards-shows/

Is “Unbroken,’’ the much-anticipated film directed by Angelina Jolie, too unapologetically patriotic for Hollywood’s anti-American sensibilities?

Hollywood had an opportunity this year to honor two films that portray values dear to most American hearts and minds. But the nominations announced last week for the Screen Actors Guild Awards and Golden Globes laid bare the prejudice that rules a bizarro world in which nudity and rampant sexuality are promoted at the expense of monogamy and flag-waving.

It just seems par for the coarse that they would ignore films that seek to honor those that protect us while at the same time they will highlight such other films that seek to inflame our enemies.

One could say that they do not realize the implications of there actions but imo they know full well after yrs of study what reactions to events will be.

Also here is a link to the reaction of all this by the guy that killed ubl's body double.imo

video.foxnews.com... oneill-reacts-to-life-of-us-hero-snubbed-by-hollywood/

What makes you think it deserved to be honored? Have you seen it? Films are supposed to be nominated based on the quality of film, direction, screenplay, individual performances, etc. in specific categories, not because of political content or lack of political content.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Of course there is an agenda for any awards show, especially Hollywood.

American Sniper should be amazing, but not get any awards.

Unbroken is an amazing novel and I hope the movie does it justice (Jolie, stop making it about the fact that you're directing and focus on the individual the movie is honoring!)

Lone Survivor was awesome, but it won an award for sound effects.

Give it up for Gravity! The movie with terrible physics and lots of loud breathing!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Maybe it was just a # movie. Besides, awards and honors don't make movies good or bad.
edit on 17-12-2014 by Cambot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

What is Patriotism in this day and age?

Considering that Homeland Security has already made a point to seek out those who believe in the Constitution and military veterans as "Domestic Terrorists" being patriotic has become nothing more than a buzzword for believing in anything the Washington puppets mandate as truth......

Patriotism has been another word that has been bastardized by politicians to mean absolutely nothing more than a tool to divide those who are willing to fight and those who are willing to do nothing.......

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

What makes you think it is beneficial to quote an entire op just below itself?

Did you bother to read the link?

It tells of a trend where such films never have a chance.

edit on 17-12-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Oddly enough a quick check of multiple review sites seems to give the movie a rating of 2.5-3 stars out of 5. So why should it have been nominated for awards when it's getting less than stellar reviews?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

oddly enough the op is refering to two movies not one

again it is highlighting a past of such movies being snubbed and shows how both of these movies are going down the same path while at the same time a film that has brought dangers to the us is being held up as a great movie.

Perhaps if the shat hits the fan then we can all sit around and watch rogan and company make us laugh while we lose our lives because the heros in this country decided they care as much for us as we do them

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Awards programs have been rigged since they were invented. They aren't a good calibur of the true quality and timelessness of good cinema. Did you know that Ci tizen Kane lost the best picture award to How Green Was My Valley at the Academy Awards? How many people have even HEARD of that second movie? Yet we all are at least somewhat knowledgeable about Citizen Kane, even if we haven't seen it.

I'm sure you've heard the term "Oscar Bait" before right? Well there is a reason such a phrase exists. There is a fricking formula to create these movies. But formulaic usually means that it isn't very good. In other words, I could care less what some award show determines is a quality film or not.
edit on 17-12-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Sweet! I was referring to one that has marginal at best reviews!

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

How....what......The Interview has been pulled from release, so any mention of it at this point is silly. It won't be shown anytime soon.

Now then, how many "Patriotic" movies released in the past ten years shall I point to in order to prove this entire op wrong?
Which awards qualify?
Do tv shows factor into it?

It takes anywhere from 1.5 to 3 years to make a modern movie. 2012 was rife with "Patriotic" contenders and quite a few won.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
A simple look at the Acadamy Award nominees for that last few years make this article wrong. Of course who everybody is going to have a different idea of what a patriotic movie is but, let us just go with things like Captain Phillips last year, Lincoln, Argo, and Zero Dark Thirty the year before that and in the last few years Warhorse, The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Bastards. Some of those won Best Picture even. What more would you want? If any Hollywood seems to over do the patriotic thing. How many movies have they thrown real history out the window and so they give us American heros? To many. Hollywood has one agenda making money and for that they will cater to any group.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Not to mention that the very article linked has Homeland, House of Cards and Veep with multiple nominations for Best Drama and Actors.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

To name two of my personal favorites: Saving Private Ryan cleaned house. Band of Brothers cleaned house even more so.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
A simple look at the Acadamy Award nominees for that last few years make this article wrong. Of course who everybody is going to have a different idea of what a patriotic movie is but, let us just go with things like Captain Phillips last year, Lincoln, Argo, and Zero Dark Thirty the year before that and in the last few years Warhorse, The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Bastards. Some of those won Best Picture even. What more would you want? If any Hollywood seems to over do the patriotic thing. How many movies have they thrown real history out the window and so they give us American heros? To many. Hollywood has one agenda making money and for that they will cater to any group.

Yep. It is very simple, good patriotic movies get nominated. Bad ones do not. Whatever makes money gets made.

edit on 17-12-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

maybe, just maybe it is because the movie sucks balls
that is possible

you would have to define patriotic first, but
argo won 3
apollo 13 won 2
black hawk down 2

not gonna run it all down

and krazyshot, citizen kane won an oscar. just not best picture

look for fury to win some awards this year
edit on 17-12-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood

How....what......The Interview has been pulled from release, so any mention of it at this point is silly. It won't be shown anytime soon.

Now then, how many "Patriotic" movies released in the past ten years shall I point to in order to prove this entire op wrong?

Which awards qualify?

Do tv shows factor into it?

It takes anywhere from 1.5 to 3 years to make a modern movie. 2012 was rife with "Patriotic" contenders and quite a few won.

It was not pulled to my knowledge when the op started.

For me personally i can admit i am biased to the op because of the puke ventura and his actions against a widow and that has some to do with my personal view.

On the other hand all this is realitive to the saftey of the U.S. and while i get your points we still can not get around the left leaning stance of the majority of hollywood undermining our values here.

As far as the rogan crew goes i am a big fan but i can also see how their films coincide with changes that have taken place in the U.S. in the last few years.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
inglorious bastards, pearl harbor, saving private ryan, the hurt locker, black hawk down, cold mountain, platoon, the english patient
all won awards

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

NEVER, we are better than that.
We will abide by the oath.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Hollywood has been left leaning for quite a while now. Gone are the days of making movies to drive war bond sales. Just isn't going to happen.

What I will say confuses me is me how stories that are "based on real" events many times don't fair very well. But, on the flip side, many times they do (ie Band of Brothers). For some reason Hollywood is hit or miss when it comes to telling true stories well.

I will whole heartedly agree with your sentiments about Ventura though. That guy sucks at life.

On a personal note, I'm still waiting for Hollywood to make a movie about REAL military life: sitting on a FOB, with the stony faced lead cleaning his weapon for the fourth time that day, complaining about how the chow hall got hit by a mortar so he's eating MREs again, and then he goes and stands in line to use a crapper, TP in hand....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join