It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Privilege Lesson (I saw on FB)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
9gag.com...

Hmm...

Real quick, the article tells of a teacher who demonstrated privilege through trashketball. (Did I just coin that? If yes, then I claim dibs, but there's no way that isn't already a used term, is there?) It's pretty short, so you should just read it, I guess.

While this story illustrates the teacher's point, it should be pointed out that it is only a metaphor for what the teacher believes. Subjective, not objective. I wonder if the seats were assigned. If they were, then that is the teacher giving privilege to who he sees fit. Did he seat only whites in the front? Again, HIS doing. By name, alphabetically? Then why make this about race? Did the kids seat themselves? Which kids sat in the front vs the back. The ones in front PROBABLY, IMO, want to succeed more, or at least have been taught more successful methods than the others, by their guardians, while I'm guessing the ones in back were more worried about sitting by friends who they could talk to, or where they could be on their phones w/o being caught as easily. If that's the case, THEY set themselves up for failure by not sitting in the front. Take this specific exercise out of the equation. Those who sit in front are more likely to succeed. They're more involved, just by proxy. They can see better. They can hear better. They probably have less distractions. "But what about the ones who WANTED to sit in the front, but couldn't?" They should have gotten there earlier. I know that there are exceptions to most rules, so yeah, SOME might be getting the SHAFT, but again, how is it about race, unless the teacher wants to admit to contributing to the problem due to his own practices vs prejudices? On a tangent, I wonder if any of the students asked for help getting their paper ball into the basket, from those sitting in front of them. Finally, I wonder how many (non-white) students' opinions were changed by this. How many of them now have an excuse to rely on, when otherwise, they would have believed you get out what you put in... What say you? (For the record, 35/white(ish) male/Seattle area)

(Mods, feel free to move to appropriate forum, if this isn't it)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
That was a really good, simple illustration.

Loved it. Spot on and true.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

there is no such thing as "white privilege ".

this thing you posted is about privilege of being born into money and having advantages that some people don't have.

This Teacher Taught His Class A Powerful Lesson About Privilege

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Wow, and there's an awful lot of non whites who are born closer to the recycling bin. Such a joke imo. If privilege is more opportunities, a better chance than it's not exclusive to whites.

What do they call all the minority quotas at colleges, scholarships and white guilt?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I've never bought into that mentality.

I've seen plenty of people come here to the US with nothing.

And eventually work hard and be successful.

Just because you're in the back of the class doesn't mean that you can't get ahead.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
I've never bought into that mentality.

I've seen plenty of people come here to the US with nothing.

And eventually work hard and be successful.

Just because you're in the back of the class doesn't mean that you can't get ahead.

Amen! It's a good lesson on equality and fairness but it has nothing to do with being white, black, brown, female, straight, Muslim, short, etc.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Cute, but oversimplified and misleading. Unless you're a Bush or a Kennedy, you're gonna have to put in the work in order to succeed regardless of your skin color. The kids willing to stay focused and achieve academically to the level necessary to get into university and then continue that level of performance will see results. That doesn't depend on race or social class does it?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I didn't see where the teacher made it about race so....why did you?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
How is this not race baiting?

Are rich people supposed to feel guilty for having kids if they are a certain color?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
This has Nothing to do with color! This has to do with Culture...Period.
Some are born and raised to think they are owed life and all that goes with it.
Some are born and raised to think they must work hard to get what they want out of life.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
LOL

You mean that you guys, don't see an advantage to being white...in America? It's an advantage. It shouldn't be, but it is. Not like it used to be..but there is still a small advantage to being white...and male and heterosexual...and Christian.

God forbid if you are born into a single parent family, are black, an atheist and Gay and female! You're going to have a really hard time rising up in the world. But, of course, it can be done. This thread isn't about how to take hold of opportunities, only that some of us or you or them are born into a better life than others and have more obstacles to overcome in getting ahead in life.

Why do you guys not get that? It's not racist to say that, just honest.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Fair enough, I guess... Without going back and checking first, I think I might have overstepped a little, but are you sure you're asking a question you don't know the answer to? Seems simple enough to me. I associated the term with a recent, hotly debated topic. I'll add more soon.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: thishereguy

K. Fair enough... I'm seeing that I misunderstood part of the message intended. After reading some of these replies, I'm going back to take a second look, and examine my OP. Makes me wonder why I mistook what I did, as I did.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

God forbid you're a hetero white boy born to a man and woman who are married, college educated, have good jobs that they've worked hard to get, and live in suburbia.

You'll have legions of people telling you how privileged you are, how easy you have it, and how you owe everything to others because of "guilt" and "privilege" because you had the audacity to be born by those people.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

One could just as easily argue that the teacher was referring to the privilege of education.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I've never bought into it either, I don't think. I think I would have had a rougher, less happy childhood, since I was from an "underprivileged" family, but I was raised with the "you can do anything" type message. I reacted to an article that I read, and somewhat misinterpreted.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

God forbid you're a hetero white boy born to a man and woman who are married, college educated, have good jobs that they've worked hard to get, and live in suburbia.

You'll have legions of people telling you how privileged you are, how easy you have it, and how you owe everything to others because of "guilt" and "privilege" because you had the audacity to be born by those people.

No you won't. That doesn't happen. Nice try though.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Lol white guilt doesn't happen?

Yea okay. Take the blinders off dude.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Lol white guilt doesn't happen?

Yea okay. Take the blinders off dude.

Not really. White guilt takes the form of victimization. You, of course, will get a few people that are white that feel victimized by minorities getting more rights, but those are usually people that are stuck in their ruts and don't know how to get out of their bad situations and don't even try really.

Just adding that I'm white and no body has ever tried to make me feel guilty about it. Never happened. I've lived in multiple states from Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Maryland, California, Georgia. all over really. so....
edit on 17-12-2014 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6
K. I have gone back, and reread. I DO see that I had misinterpreted the story. It was about education, not race. I have a few "excuses" for why I did this. Recent white privilege topics I've been hearing gave me word association conclusions, and such. The picture displayed showed the white guy closest. (I jumpt to a conclusion here.) FB likes to mess with people's psyches, they've admitted.
And there're more, but I digress... I wonder if I should pose a different question, or let this thread die....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join