It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about the classified payload on the NROL-35 Launch from Vandenberg AFB on 12-13-14

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Howdy folk.

So the other evening I'm standing outside and my girlfriend points off into the distance and says 'What's that babe?'

'A rocket...', is my immediate response, and I turn to come inside to start looking into it.

ATS was down for a couple of hours around the launch, awkward as that was for my psyche; I confirmed that it was in fact down to... everyone.

The launch is recorded to have happened at 2014-12-13, 03:19 GMT - which sounds about right.

The launch was designated NROL-35; presumably something like 'National Reconnaissance Office Launch 35', as it was stated to be their rocket.

What I couldn't figure out though, was - What 'classified' payload happened to be on this ATLAS-5 rocket? Anyone ( Zaphod? ) around have any idea? I'd be interested in whatever is so important that you have to launch it in the middle of a 'CATEGORY 555555' storm ( the one that just hit the whole of the west coast ) with 'tornadic' wind conditions.

All in all seeing the launch was pretty awesome; I got to see the first stage shut off, and second stage do - what I have to assume was breaking through the atmosphere - at night; which I assure you was a sight. Tried to record it but it didn't come out particularly well...

Hope someone can help me out - I'm really just curious what was on the thing.

** Mods: Skunkworks? Orr.....

edit on 16-12-2014 by DigitalJedi805 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-12-2014 by DigitalJedi805 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
If it was classified, how would any of us know?..

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bovah

Zaphod knows. Or knows someone who knows.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I'd be interested in what he had to say about it at the very least...never disappointed me lol.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

originally posted by: Bovah

Zaphod knows. Or knows someone who knows.

Or so he might say.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
The NRO manage the spy satilite program. There is a documentary called spys in the sky, I just saw about them.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Zaphod can't talk right now,
A couple FBI men are having an "interview" about classified payload.......lol
Nothing to see here, move along....

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
At a guess I'd say something like the X37B or 'Orbital test vehicle' was sent back up. It would be a really fast turn around time from the Oct landing but it might be a second new generation one. It was interesting that they launched despite pretty poor weather.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Most likely a new generation of Trumpet reconnaissance satellite. The Molniya orbit (highly elliptical with good polar coverage) and the SBIRS (Space-Based Infrared System) are good indicators.

Cool patch too.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

They've been working on replacing the early warning net. The ones up there are low on fuel and have older sensors on board. The newer ones are capable of doing more than just watching for launches.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DigitalJedi805

HA! Zaphod and cmdrkeenkid beat me to it, Yeah..SBIRS-HEO 3

Mission Poster

edit on 17-12-2014 by Imperium Americana because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Zaphod can't talk right now,
A couple FBI men are having an "interview" about classified payload.......lol
Nothing to see here, move along....

Lmao sounds about right...

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

They've been working on replacing the early warning net. The ones up there are low on fuel and have older sensors on board. The newer ones are capable of doing more than just watching for launches.

Lol you never fail us Zaphod - a good assessment; and probably what I would have come up with myself. I'm assuming on this comment that we're likely to see more similar launches in coming months.

Thanks for everyone else's input; all good stuff. Definitely provided me some insight at the least.

And in-case you missed it Bovah; the term 'Classified' means nothing to the dwellers of ATS.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

There should be a couple more next year.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky
At a guess I'd say something like the X37B or 'Orbital test vehicle' was sent back up. It would be a really fast turn around time from the Oct landing but it might be a second new generation one. It was interesting that they launched despite pretty poor weather.

Yeah I found that a little suspect myself...

First thought: "It's a nuke... They wouldn't fire anything else in this storm..."

Strangely enough too; it had a south-eastern trajectory - like it was headed for Mexico.

I generally expect stuff like this to head out over the ocean - as it seems like this is usually the path for geosynchronous orbit from Vandenberg .

Anyway,

Thanks gentlemen.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Not all of the early warning net is geosynchronous. The ICBM portion is, but there are a number in other orbits watching for theater class, and mobile system launches that the geosynchronous system might miss.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imperium Americana

HA! Zaphod and cmdrkeenkid beat me to it, Yeah..SBIRS-HEO 3

Mission Poster

Any significance to those 3 delta symbols on the poster?

They appear familiar put I can't place them.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: dezertdog

In the poster, these are alchemical symbols. The bottom triangle symbolizes fire, while the middle one is for Earth and the top one is air.

As for it's significance, I don't know.
edit on 17-12-2014 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

In the poster, these are alchemical symbols. The bottom triangle symbolizes fire, while the middle one is for Earth and the top one is air.

As for it's significance, I don't know.

Thanx Sam. Exclusion of water maybe a clue.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

i was also trying to find the significance of the lady, the purple hair (seen on the mission patch and the poster) and the trident.
So far I've only made a connection to Ursula (from The Little Mermaid), Nue Houjuu (a Japanese video game character that had the ability to hide an objects true identity), and Andromeda (from Marvels Guardian) that had the ability to see deep under water.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join