It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaked: Hollywood's BRILLIANT Plan To Curb Piracy. Hint: THEY ARE IDIOTS.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

FYI: The .cr Pirate Bay is a honeypot.

ETA: It's also riddled with viruses.

edit on 12/16/14 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Thanks for the info. I will have to check it out.

P

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Not only is it complete overkill, it's completely pointless because there are free alternative DNS solutions like Comodo Secure DNS and OpenDNS which have a very small chance of being censored in this way. There are also more advanced P2P file sharing networks which don't rely on centralized trackers for peers to find each other. For example Tribler makes clever use of distributed hash tables to create a completely decentralized search and tracker system which cannot be destroyed.
edit on 16/12/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

The .CR was made by copycats, later taken over by observers. Stay away from .CR, its fake.

Google torrentfreak

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Just to be very clear: If we're discussing torrent sites in particular, we're doing so regarding the legal downloads of things like Linux disk images and free or abandonware.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I remember all the way back to the winmx days (anyone remember that?), never heard of anyone being caught using that software!
But I also remember when all the fuss about piracy started up. And I also remember what was being found out!

In the early days in an attempt to quell the piracy the music industry started putting download sytems into some of the universities and various other places. However, back in those days the kids still had fuctioning brain cells and they quickly worked out that it wasn't the loss of reveniews that concerned the industry, in fact there's much evidence that piracy leads to higher sales!! No, what was bothering the industry was that it could not control what the kids were listening too!
This became apparent when the kids realised what was missing from the systems that were instaled into the uni's etc.

To back this up consider what took place in the uk back in the 60's when the independent radio stations started broadcasting from ships anchored offshore.
The BBC (who are funded by license fee's and stood to loose nothing!) started broadcasting a signal that created a high pitch whistle on the radio of anyone tuned to the off shore stations. However! The off shore stations were playing music from all over the world, and for the first time we were hearing music from the (at that time) amazing american bands! With such quality music being played we all learnt to ignore the annoying whistle.
Realising their jamming of the signals wasn't working they set about changing the laws, but this took time and so they started sending out boats full of police in an attempt to arrest those who were broadcasting all this amazing music from america. They even blew some of the boats up!!!

The point is, back then nobody was losing money, in fact being able to hear music from all over the world created massive sales of albums and singles, and the BBC were funded by license money, so what was the problem?
The problem was
1. They couldnt control what people were listening too.
2. The British weren't recieving their daily dose of BBC propaganda!!!

And thats why they dont ike all this file sharing, because they cant control what people are listening too!

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Another Star and Flag Heff!

As a person who aspires to being a published author, I believe in copyrights, They prove ownership and ensure compensation for your work.
On the other hand I know that Piracy isn't going anywhere.
Piracy actually helps keep prices down because it helps prevent monopoly.
The Movie industry will never admit this but Piracy can also be good for business, people do buy the content after trying for free, yes I know some don't, but many do.
Also:

Piracy can be a useful source for market insight.

Napster is a good example of this Napster changes the way the music industry works dramatically.

The P2P file sharing service revealed the massive demand for online, digital music. It proved that there was a desire to have access to digital high quality recordings, a wide selection of music, and a service that was easy to use.

Piracy helps in creating new markets.
Napster not only was a valuable source to find out the desires of the music consumer, but the service also helped in establishing a new market for online music. This market that emerged did not only consist of comparable illegal services such as KaZaA, but also contained legal services that could use the insights that were provided and the market that was established by Napster. The most famous legal example of this probably was the iTunes Music Store that after its successful launch in 2003 proved that people were also willing to pay for music online.

www.hypebot.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedmoonMWC

The Movie industry will never admit this but Piracy can also be good for business, people do buy the content after trying for free, yes I know some don't, but many do.

Exactly!
A few years back several british bands managed to get onto the tv and told us that file sharing increased sales of their music because people wanted to own a copy of music they liked. And it gives people a chance to listen to bands they otherwise might never hear.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit
You've been watching Congress at play for a long time haven't you?
I agree completely with what you say -
First they throw out the ridiculous plan - then come back with the real plan they had all along, pulling off the great compromise of 2015 and look like heroes to Hollywood.
No doubt they'll trot out a few favorite stars to endorse the plan.
They could name it P.O.O.P Protection Of Our Products

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: RedmoonMWC
Another Star and Flag Heff!

As a person who aspires to being a published author, I believe in copyrights, They prove ownership and ensure compensation for your work.
On the other hand I know that Piracy isn't going anywhere

Have you been on a holiday on Venus the last years or what ?

So you believe in copyright? LOL - First of all, you are a remix between your mom and your dad!
You are a publisher? So you wrote everything without influence of others? yeah right!
Piracy is going nowhere.... haha hehe hoho

Lets have a look around...
Take Jocelyn Brown's record - Love is gonna get ya

Listen at 5:40
Now listen to

What record got the most out of he real message? The original or the remix?

I can post alot more if you want. Life is a remix, and essentially its pure old evolution!
You still believe in copy-right ?

edit on 17/12/2014 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: kloejen
Did you actually read what I wrote or just the first line?
Read the whole post before you reply, you'll look less the fool.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: RedmoonMWC

I am a published author. I would like to tell you a story.

The story comes from the good ole days before these pirates and their ships.

We were poor. But I loved Sci-fi, Fantasy and War novels. I read hundreds of books all for free.

It was a place called the local library.

When I started working years later, I bought copies of all my favorite books. And I bought the second and third installment of series.

But somehow that was not Piracy ...... um ..... can't work that one out. I read all those books for free but it was somehow OK.

If one of your future books ends up on a torrent site you can either cry over lost revenue or jump around at the free publicity and exposure.

Now then, those who pirate and never subsequently buy, were never ever going to buy in the first place. They would borrow a friends or go to a library.

Everyone else that likes your book will likely buy it knowing that doing so allows you to write more books.

The only thing that has changed over all of those decades is corporate greed and it has become an out of control world spanning monster.

P

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: kloejen

snap
so get off my back
or i will attack
and you dont want that

buncha lyrical maestros

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I totally agree nothing bad about free publicity even bad publicity keeps your name out there. I have made extensive use of the library and still do, some things are simply not on the internet.
I am 54 years old, I grew up before the internet and the world wide web. I read everything I can get my hands on, it has given me a broad knowledge base to draw from in my writing.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: RedmoonMWC

Yes i did read your post. How did i make a fool of myself?
Ohh yes, the library - i sad there for hours - lending books in the masses to LEARN, not to be entertained by time-wasting novels.

I guess there is a difference.

What if there was a (C) on the bible... only the folks paying for the story would know the "faith"*?
Isaac Newton did the same - this info is only for the elite?

Hope you see tha fallacies here

edit on 17/12/2014 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I cant agree with this enough. I believe that art speaks for itself.

If you're truly talented, people will support you. You can even put out your writing/drawing for free on the internet, and when people like it enough, they'll buy hard copies and memorabilia.

Hollywood and the music industry would have been far smarter to release their own version of torrent sites for cheap (and get rich off volume sales, like Netflix subscribers) or even to release it for free, knowing full well it was going to happen regardless, and thus gain consumer loyalty: people will adore their generosity, and buy related merchandise (like clothing, toys)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Since when did "duty of care" not become applicable in cases of loss or theft?
If people with digital material want to maintain their copyright- they must ensure the source cannot be copied in the first place.

Why should anyone care to pay you for your creation if it so worthless you dont even protect its free dissemination in the first place?

Digital items are seemingly exempt from this rationale as all I have to do is make something, copyright it then not bother to look after it; even though most of it's actual "real" value is derived from limited third party access to it ( see a movie, buy a movie, download a movie for e.g).

Aside from torrents there are hundreds of community sites linked to the "scene" that provide direct streaming and download links to movies in Divx, AVI , Flash or any format you care to think of.

Most of the leaks come from studio insiders, courier companies, infrastructure partners or even (historically) from staff members of academy members who were in receipt of screener copy DVD's.
Alot of the Cams/so called TS's come from Russian/Eastern Bloc cinemas where the staff have set up a HD cam FFS!

Get your own house in order, sort out security on your "valued" assets then we can talk about whether the creation is actually "worthy" of a purchase.

edit on 17-12-2014 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I read somewhere that netflix actually uses torrent site data to determine what movies and tv shows to put on there site.

I also read that a band(I think it was iron maiden) used download data to fugure out where the best place to tour would be.

They then went on a huge south american tour and made more money than they would have generated from album sales.

So as others have said it's not all bad news for the ig fish.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Block a DNS from entering your country..... Then simply proxy over to a country that the DNS has not been blocked.

Sure your download will be slower... but with global rising bandwidth increases that won't be a problem.

When will these corrupt organisations realize that Piracy does not harm their profits, there is plenty of third party research out there that actually proves it bolsters them!

Korg.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I think this is not only movie/recording industry move - it is general move to censoring stuff on inet. DNS is sole strictly hierarchical part of internet backbone. It is going against parallel, multypath nature of internet. The hierarchical nature of DNS is what psychopaths at higher ranks only understand and use on daily bases.
As mentioned earlier there exists alternatives to DNS but IMHO are not robust enough to entirely replace current form of DNS. What would be perfect is form of agregation: If normal DNS doesn't resolve name query, ask OpenDNS, if it doesn't resolve ask other service, etc. Even better: compare results from 2-n services and if there are discrepancies, report it to user.
As everywhere there are troubles namely with latency: As the web is working this day, simple loading http page can generate tens, even hundreds DNS subsequent queries. In this situation high DNS latency is user experience killer even on Gb connection - you simply do not want to use overseas DNS.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join