It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas prices tumble below $2 in Greenville, cheapest in Michigan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Hmm. So the murmurs today weren't BS.

Gas prices tumble below $2 in Greenville, cheapest in Michigan

GREENVILLE, MI — The average price a gallon of gas in West Michigan reached 2009 levels earlier this week, though several stations now are breaking through a new barrier.

Gas prices reportedly fell below the $2 mark early Tuesday afternoon at $1.99 in Greenville, according to user submitted reports from GasBuddy.com. The prices are the cheapest in Michigan.

So that's the chatter around MI today, gas dipped below $2 a gallon here. The last time anyone in my house saw gas that cheap, it was back around perhaps 2008 in FL. It appears that the price nosedive is not just Michigan, either:

'Gas war' breaks out when price falls below $2

When a new station in Oklahoma City just priced its gas at $1.99 a gallon, a rival down the street cut the price by a penny — to $1.98 a gallon. It had to, reports Bloomberg News: At $1.99, cars were lined up in droves at the OnCue station on Shields Boulevard.

As much as the OnCue station in "OK City" wanted to make an impact, it didn't last long. Bloomberg reports that in the evening, a station in the suburb of Moore beat them all with gas at $1.95 a gallon.

We've been out running around all day, and have ogled many gas station signs passing by. The rough average right now in W MI in general appears to be about $2.30, Greenville aside. What about the rest of you, coming close to that $2 mark in your area? Way off? Hopefully, unless someone gets a case of Buttmunchitis & completely derails the thread with politics or something, this thread can be useful in helping people narrow down areas for cheap gas if need be it.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
$2.49 at the 7-Eleven here in Melbourne, FL.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ninjadan9

Sounds about right for FL. Across the state around Tampa Bay, I'm told the price is anywhere from $2.30 to $2.45 in those counties right now.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Still over 3.00 in western New York, of course.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Representing close to Detroit here - In this area, gas prices are averaging about $2.35 - $2.50. I'm wary of the reasons why they are so cheap, but not complaining about the fact that it costs me less to go somewhere.

-foss

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ninjadan9

$2.52 in Rockledge, Florida at the Speedway.

Only 15 miles from Melbourne,FL.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

It's 2.75 in Ocala ; (

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
$2.20 in Bloomington,il

Only here for a few though

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Paid 2.24 in Holland MI but still in the 2.40 range near Lansing

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
That would be an hours drive for me, so unless I brought a few 5 gallon cans and filled the tank up to the cap, it wouldn't help me at all. I'll settle for the cheapest within 10 miles.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Jealous!
Here in the heavily taxed UK, at current exchange rates, and converting a £1.30 litre to US gallons, it is $7.71 per gallon at my local filling station.
For perspective, the UK minimum wage for adults is £6.50 per hour, or $10.20 at current exchange rates, so one would need to work 45 minutes to pay for a gallon here.
Interesting thread OP, cheers for posting.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA
It's 2.75 in Ocala ; (

Ouch
We topped off the tank off 75 in Silver Springs on the way out of FL. I don't remember what it cost us, though. My husband had choice words at the time, that I do remember.

originally posted by: grainofsand
Jealous!
Here in the heavily taxed UK, at current exchange rates, and converting a £1.30 litre to US gallons, it is $7.71 per gallon at my local filling station.
For perspective, the UK minimum wage for adults is £6.50 per hour, or $10.20 at current exchange rates, so one would need to work 45 minutes to pay for a gallon here.
Interesting thread OP, cheers for posting.

And then I hear from Europeans, and remember we really don't have it quite so bad this side of the pond. Makes me wonder sometimes why anyone bothers to have a car at all over there, especially where it's higher than what your filling station has it for. If the US saw gas at $7 (hell, even $6) the roads would be nearly deserted.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Slightly over $2.00 here in north Jersey.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
If the US saw gas at $7 (hell, even $6) the roads would be nearly deserted.

Or smaller engine vehicles would become more widespread as they are here in European countries?
We also tend to commute much shorter distances than I read in the US, certainly in the UK, I would consider 100 miles a long drive, and you can travel the length of Britain in less than 900 miles lol

new topics

top topics

join