It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mountain Lion Killed in Kentucky

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: 3u40r15m

Cats are not stupid! They prey on the weak,old and injured.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I'm from Bourbon County, there are three towns within. Millersburg, North Middletown, and Paris (the largest and the one the mountain lion was in). Paris is the most city-like and i grew up there playing in the woods all the time. I'm in my early twenties so really it wasn't that long ago. I've never seen a mountain lion in my life, the mountains in ky are no where near Bourbon so the cat must have migrated a long way. I didn't believe it when I saw someone post something on fb, but then I saw it on the news. Odd for sure.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I'm from Bourbon County, there are three towns within. Millersburg, North Middletown, and Paris (the largest and the one the mountain lion was in). Paris is the most city-like and i grew up there playing in the woods all the time. I'm in my early twenties so really it wasn't that long ago. I've never seen a mountain lion in my life, the mountains in ky are no where near Bourbon so the cat must have migrated a long way. I didn't believe it when I saw someone post something on fb, but then I saw it on the news. Odd for sure.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: misguided

That is so sad. That was a big cat. Looks almost like a real lion. Never have seen a mountain lion that big. I wish they wouldn't have killed it
I would have been scared to death had I came across him. Aw, it is a sad day.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

are you really saying a baby isnt an easy target?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
We have them in Southern Indiana too! They've recently been spotted near Deams Lake in Borden and also in Washington County, a few miles north. There's also a huge spike in the bobcat population. They are only twice the size of a house cat though.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Explain to me what kind of baby are you talking about...human or animal?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

IMO they are stupid. I across them once in a while ill throw stick at it and they don't want problems. As long as you're aware they are lurking they can't attack...They know when you know.

Unless its a beast that hasn't ate in 3 weeks.....

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: misguided
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

You'd be surprised how many people keep illegal "pets." There's a massive black market for exotic animals in the US... it's mind boggling what you can get your hands on with the right classified ad. Want a Diamondback Rattlesnake, a crocodile, an African lion, or a chimpanzee? You can get one.

I don't know if anyone else on here ever saw one or not. But I can remember in the early 70's having a catalog that you could by just about any animal in the world from. Maybe they still exist as I haven't done any research on it...but I doubt it.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
$%#@!& $%#@!*???!!!

Tragic, despicable, shortsighted, inhumane, unnecessary, criminal, egoist and evil.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

No worries!
There are a lot of them around where I live in Alberta, close to the rocky mountains. Every once in awhile you'll hear in the news of one having to be taken away, or shot, or an attack... Not often, but it does happen.
I find them to be fascinating animals. Their back legs are longer then the front, which gives them great abilities to leap far distances.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I grew up not far from this area and still live in KY. Last night I was thinking that I hadnt heard an update in a while and sure enough there was one on the news this morning. They are stating that the necropsy had been completed but the results would not be released to the public until the DNA analysis was in? This makes me think it was wild instead of an escaped/released captive cat, and they do not want to cause any type of hysteria. I could be overthinking this but that is my initial reaction. They do state they will be releasing this info after the investigation has been completed but that is not expected for some time. What could they have found that makes them want to wait?

Where I grew up there has been an abundance of black bear sightings in recent years due to the conservation efforts. I know people that say they have seen big cats in the area but who knows, after this they might have actually seen one. Once you go about 20-30 miles east of where this animal was killed there are a lot more remote living/hiding places for an animal such as this and a lot fewer people to see it. One could live in the area and never be noticed if it didnt want to be. My bet is they come back and say that it was wild, thats just a hunch. Its just as likely that it comes back that it had eaten its owner and escaped and thats why they arent releasing the info until they get a proper ID.

This is my first post and my first attempt at a link so I hope it works. The link has a little more information and details for those interested.

www.courier-journal.com... lion/22476777/

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: NormalisntNormal
Thanks so much for catching this update. Interesting development.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I saw a cougar here in Nova Scotia one morning as I was driving to work. Ran out on the road and shocked me. My first instinct was one had escaped from the wildlife park in the area, so I reported the sighting to our Lands and Forest department. They were shocked, as we aren't supposed to have Cougars here, either. I thought I was crazy, but they later told me that 2 others had reported cougar activity that same day, one with tracks, and one whose horse had been mutilated. I still get a call every once in awhile from researchers or documentarians.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

This was exactly my thought. They went out on a call without proper equipment? And I agree with another poster who stated they look quite proud of their "kill". Very sad.

We have mountain lions in my area, but I have never seen one, as I don't get up in that area often...

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
No.
Just. NO.
A pox on their families!
I may have some extreme views on taking a life,
but animals are INNOCENT!
They go about the world by their nature.
No! I do not agree!!!

Where's my carpet knife...?[

ETA:
Life either is, or is not.
There is no middle.
The most black and white thing ever.
Next time you kill a fly, or a ant or a bee,
Ask yorself, what did that living creature do to threaten your existence?
edit on 5-2-2015 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asynchrony
Funny thing, lions have been on my mind for a week now and I even dreamed about them some days ago. Could be that it was relocated.

well, way I see it is you have two possibilities
1. you're right
2. you're a complete whackjob
I'm not sure I'd go with those odds myself.
edit on 5/2/15 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
i bet that was an illegal pet that escaped.

Theres no way there are actual wild lions in Kentucky.

one single one shot dead? how do you think it got born if theres no lions to mate with? wed know this before now if there were prides in the US.
to

There are many areas that still have cougar populations. I live in New Mexico and we have them. These are not African lions.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
It is hard to believe that they did not have the resources to get those tranquilizers there stat. and stay, guarding the tree until they arrived. The cat would not come down as long as they were there. All effort to preserve that animal's right to live should have been exercised and it could have been relocated to a habitat that could support it.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: LionOfGOD
No.
Just. NO.
A pox on their families!
I may have some extreme views on taking a life,
but animals are INNOCENT!
They go about the world by their nature.
No! I do not agree!!!

Where's my carpet knife...?

While I agree with your sentiment about taking the life of the cat---what would you do if you were faced with the decision those guys faced that day?
In the news reports linked here there are interviews with people whose children play in the area the cat was treed.
You're a wildlife officer called to a "lion" sighting----something that hasn't been a real event in the county in over a hundred years? What are the chances this one is the real thing?
I agree with those who have said the responders should have been prepared. But, upon arrival, they see something they've never before seen in the wild. It is a lion!
Do you make the needed calls for tranquilizers and wait and hope that the cat stays put for the couple of hours it would take to get the gun and shooter on site? As darkness is falling. In a neighborhood---not the wilderness---a suburban neighborhood.
I'm not sure because I wasn't there but I'd just bet the folks in the neighborhood made those guys feel like heroes. Letting that cat escape into the darkness wasn't an option in their minds and I can see their point of view.
Don't put a pox on their families or them, please. Instead put your thoughts into writing to head of the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife in Frankfort, KY. Encourage him to obtain the equipment and training needed for his officers to handle situations such as this one.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join