It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mountain Lion Killed in Kentucky

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
A mountain lion was killed by wildlife officials in Bourbon County, KY last night. Full story in the link. Found this interesting as I have always been told there are no big cats in Kentucky. Don't know if this is posted in the correct place or not, feel free to move it if is not. I know it is not an unknown creature, but it is an animal that is in an environment it is not supposed to be in.

Officials told WKYT’s Sam Smith that a woman walking her dog in Bourbon County spotted the mountain lion.The dog might have spooked the mountain lion, which went into a tree.

The woman called animal control, but officials there told her “that's more than what we can handle, you need to call fish and wildlife."

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife program coordinator Steven Dobey said officers had to shoot the mountain lion because they didn't have tranquilizers with them. He said it was nearly dark and if they waited for someone to bring them tranquilizers, the animal could have gotten away and posed a danger to the public.

Wildlife officials kill mountain lion in Bourbon County, KY

A Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife officer killed a mountain lion on a Bourbon County farm on Monday, marking the first confirmed sighting of a mountain lion in Kentucky since before the Civil War, said Mark Marraccini, a spokesman for the agency.

First Puma Found in Kentucky Since Civil War

edit on 12/16/2014 by misguided because: added picture, additional news source

edit on 12/16/2014 by misguided because: Can't spell

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I had no idea there were lions there!

Shame they shot it. I like big wild cats much.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Funny thing, lions have been on my mind for a week now and I even dreamed about them some days ago. Could be that it was relocated.

a reply to: misguided

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Sad to see that strong, majestic and powerful creature lying there dead on that table. First thought: Why kill it?!

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: misguided

They say there are no "resident" Mountain Lions in KY and this is the first one seen since the Civil War.

Then why are they the UK Wildcats?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I would think someone had kept it for a pet, and either it got too big and they could not afford to feed it, or it is possible that it got out of where it was being contained. My hope is that it did not die in vein, if there is a population of them in the state, the necropsy would provide details that the animal lived in the wild, possibly had kittens, what kind of diet it had been on. Although my gut still makes me think it was a "pet" that someone could not contain, and sadly it did not know how to act in the wild and died scared. Although I hope that isn't what happened.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Well we do have bobcats... I've saw quite a few of those both in the woods while hunting, and occasionally on the roads while driving.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
They're in NY state. One woman said she saw it at the crossroads in my town. A few kids ran into the house after seeing it. The reports started around 8 years ago. The authorities deny it, despite sightings still coming in about once a year. We have large tracts of uninterrupted wilderness, plenty of deer, rabbits, plus many other types of small game.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
At least they got it before it got somebody's baby... Those stupid cats prey on newborns. All you really have to do is run at it yelling they will shoo away, shooting them also works.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There are big cats in most states. I've seen tracks in Alabama, an actual big cat in Mississippi, and there are reports all over the US from places where they aren't "supposed" to be.

The issue is, if the Dept. of Wildlife acknowledges the claims, they then have to decide how to handle/protect the animals so it's a subject they prefer to ignore or deny without clear proof.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

This seems to be the case across the U.S. East of the Mississippi. Although the reports keep piling in about large cats, and the reports of the always infamous "black panthers", but as the old saying states, "Where there's smoke, there's fire!" A wolf was killed in Kentucky about a year and a half ago and it was also stated that it was likely someone's pet. Ether there is a large underground group on illegal pet owners releasing large animals into the wild or these animals are here and no one wants to admit it.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pitou
Sad to see that strong, majestic and powerful creature lying there dead on that table. First thought: Why kill it?!

It explains in the article that they didn't have tranquilizers and they were worried that it was a danger to the public.

Trust me, most Dept. of Wildlife officers pursue that career because they love animals. Most of them only kill an animal if, in their judgement, it's the best thing to do to protect people and other animals.

It's unfortunate, but sometimes killing the animal is the only safe way to remove it from an area.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: misguided
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

This seems to be the case across the U.S. East of the Mississippi. Although the reports keep piling in about large cats, and the reports of the always infamous "black panthers", but as the old saying states, "Where there's smoke, there's fire!" A wolf was killed in Kentucky about a year and a half ago and it was also stated that it was likely someone's pet. Ether there is a large underground group on illegal pet owners releasing large animals into the wild or these animals are here and no one wants to admit it.

My uncle has seen a wolf in Mississippi. I saw the tracks and unless there was a Great Dane running around his wooded property, it was the real deal.

You'd be surprised how many people keep illegal "pets." There's a massive black market for exotic animals in the US... it's mind boggling what you can get your hands on with the right classified ad. Want a Diamondback Rattlesnake, a crocodile, an African lion, or a chimpanzee? You can get one.
edit on 12/16/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

There are big cats in most states. I've seen tracks in Alabama, an actual big cat in Mississippi, and there are reports all over the US from places where they aren't "supposed" to be.

Hi Answer. Lots of them here in California. I've spent a lot of time in the woods here and seen sign, but never actually seen one. I bet they seen me lots of times, though.

They are the supreme stealth predator.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
A Black one was spotted near the Clinch River at Clinton Tennessee last month. It was feeding on a deer kill.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Six P's coulda have saved the big cat.

Unless of course it required some sort of special tranq.

Seems like they were quite happy about it tho, posed for a pic like hunter does after a kill.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Hi Answer. Lots of them here in California. I've spent a lot of time in the woods here and seen sign, but never actually seen one. I bet they seen me lots of times, though.

They are the supreme stealth predator.

They have to be pretty dense in an area before they're seen with any regularity.

If you've ever been hiking in a wooded area and your hair stands up on your neck with that overbearing "I'm being watched" feeling... there's a good chance a big cat was nearby. That feeling is your "6th sense" taking tiny details from the other 5 senses and saying "hey dude, something's not right."

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
"The woman called animal control, but officials there told her “that's more than what we can handle, you need to call fish and wildlife."

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife program coordinator Steven Dobey said officers had to shoot the mountain lion because they didn't have tranquilizers with them."

so fish and wildlife were called out about a mountain lion and set off without the necessary equipment, so they 'had' to shoot it ?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Six P's coulda have saved the big cat.

Unless of course it required some sort of special tranq.

Seems like they were quite happy about it tho, posed for a pic like hunter does after a kill.

True about the 6 P's. I think it's uncommon for Dept. of Wildlife officers to keep tranquilizers in their truck at all times.

The photo, I'm assuming, is more of a "here's proof of an actual mountain lion in KY" than a trophy pose. My experience with Fish and Game types would suggest so.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4
"The woman called animal control, but officials there told her “that's more than what we can handle, you need to call fish and wildlife."

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife program coordinator Steven Dobey said officers had to shoot the mountain lion because they didn't have tranquilizers with them."

so fish and wildlife were called out about a mountain lion and set off without the necessary equipment, so they 'had' to shoot it ?

Most likely they were the closest patrol to the area so they only had what was already in the truck with them.

Clearly, they saw a potential for this dangerous animal to become a problem for nearby residents or other animals. They don't just go in looking for a reason to kill something.

They were on-scene and made the call. Passing judgement based on little-to-no information is silly.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join