It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cops pull over drivers and hand out 100k from 'secret santa'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

Starred.

It would be an interesting case, none the less, because you would have the motive for the stop itself in question as soon as the police attempted to hand over the cash. Was the civil infraction that reason, or was giving the money the reason for the stop.

Good point.

Still:

edit on 1520141220141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

S&F for posting!

Kudos to the Secret Santa who made it possible for this to happen!

I'm sure this kind deed made quite a few people happy to be stopped!

edit on 15-12-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I totally agree. This is clearly PRopaganda aimed at making the cops look like good guys. Just like when they give my kid stickers or when park rangers give him a whistle. A thinly veiled ploy to create positive perception of the worst group of murderers, thieves, and kidnappers in our midst. Statists promoting statism. Child molesters give kids candy too. Wake up to the real marauders and criminals among us people! 2 million+ slaves and counting...

Text of 13th Amendment Section 1: Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Prisoners are SLAVES. Police collect (mostly non-violent drug related) slaves to serve their masters - the STATE.

This is a bribe in the subtle form of persuasive mind control. Don't buy it for a minute.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

When cops harm us, they are often defended with the phrase "They're only doing their job..."

To quote from Mark Passio on the moral culpability of cops for their actions against us:

"The order-follower always bears more moral culpability than the order-giver, because the order-follower is the one who actually performed the action, and in taking such action, actually brought the resultant harm into physical manifestation. Order-following is the pathway to every form of evil and chaos in our world. It should never be seen as a "virtue" by anyone who considers themselves a moral human being. Order-followers have ultimately been personally responsible and morally culpable for every form of Slavery and every single Totalitarian regime that has ever existed on the face of the Earth."

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Yeah.
"Here's a hundred bucks. Merry Christmas. Is that marijuana I smell..."

It would be nice if they gave you $60,000 so you could afford a decent lawyer.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Some people would bitch if they were hung with a new rope.. Lol

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Old rope is more malleable. Chafes less too.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Does this happen every year, or is this in light of recent tension?

We can look at this two ways really, it's very kind and thoughtful, and it's also a bit of a bribe...

I'm sure some of them are really genuinely happy to do this...

As sure as I am of that, I think it's fair to say a few will be looking at what they can gain from this in terms of public support!
edit on 15-12-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Are you implying that, by looking for run down cars, that minorities (who tend to be more likely poor) are being targeted for "bribery" as part of some sort of scheme to placate them for the Ferguson debacle?

I'm not saying such an idea is impossible, but you would need proof. Like, the identity of the Secret Santa if he exists, and strong links to the police department. But if he turned out to be legit, you would be invading the privacy of someone likely to be well meaning.

Personally, I don't see any reason to doubt this is genuinely someone donating money, though his method of delivery is rather odd. Personally, I would have instead hired someone to pass the 100 dollar bills at food banks, unemployment job search centers, or other places where the needy or those down on their luck are going to be in large numbers, but that's just me. Maybe this guy just likes the idea of cops doing it.

Without some sort of evidence, however, I am not going to reject small acts of generosity and kindness during times when those things become more and more rare. At least without some sort of proof.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ZzurvanN

Text of 13th Amendment Section 1: Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Ironically, for the die hard far right Constitutionalists, that's also how it works in Shariah Law.

Little fact I thought I'd share with the group.
edit on 15-12-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

A secret santa, hiring the police to perform economic profiling, and tasking them with pulling over motorists with no probable cause...yup, no problem there (sarcasm).

Those who would trade their rights for $100 deserve neither.
edit on 15-12-2014 by Ettenurb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Ettenurb

Who else could have stopped them?

Don't think they would have willingly pulled over or stopped by Joe Shmoe! They probably would have called the cops for assistance thinking there was some crazy loon after them.

It turned out well for someone(s). Maybe that $100 got them a new tire or two.

It was a kind gesture from a Secret Santa & those who were able to deliver it. I'm sure those that received it were appreciative.

edit on 15-12-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MrLimpet

The "stop" is illegal if they have no probable cause.

If they wanted to give to the truly needy, they would walk the beat on their feet and hand out their "secret santa" stash to those who cannot afford transportation because their need is probably for food, not for tires.

I'm not trying to be snarky or mean, but this is not a good development in my mind. It creates the idea that the police can stop you for any reason, anytime and that is monumentally bad for everyone...unless you like a true police state.

And to reiterate, they were pulled over because they looked in need a.k.a. poor, welcome to the normalization of economic profiling.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Ettenurb

If they wanted to give to the truly needy, they would walk the beat on their feet and hand out their "secret santa" stash to those who cannot afford transportation because their need is probably for food, not for tires.

I agree with that. I think there are much better ways to help. Randomly picking crappy cars isn't going to find you the most needy. Some people just don't give a crap what they drive, and I'm more worried about the families living in their cars or people that are starving/freezing.

The "stop" is illegal if they have no probable cause.

It's pretty easy to drum up probable cause, especially on certain vehicles. I'm also not sure if it is illegal to stop a car if you have no intent on issuing a citation or searching the vehicle. It's not illegal to drive with your gas door open, but I don't think it would be illegal for cop to pull you over and say "Hey, your gas door is open".

I'm not trying to be snarky or mean, but this is not a good development in my mind. It creates the idea that the police can stop you for any reason, anytime and that is monumentally bad for everyone...unless you like a true police state.

I get you. I don't really think that's at all what this was about. Worst case scenario I think it was some rich guy who wanted to improve police relations with the public and spread some love.

Anyway, you're brand new here! Welcome! Even if we don't agree, I have a feeling you're going to be well respected after reading that well measured response. Tenth star is on me. Have fun!

Edit. Well crap, I guess 11th star.

edit on 1520141220141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Thank you for the welcome and the star. I hope to only add to the value of this site with my posts.

Now back on topic:

Worst case scenario I think it was some rich guy who wanted to improve police relations with the public and spread some love.

Altruism is a great thing in this world. My issue is not with the act of giving, it is the the method which that gift was given. My main two issues of concern are:

1) The police were "hired" by a private entity/person (No mention in the OP of who paid for their time/wages or expenses [cop cruisers don't run on altruism] during these traffic stops)
2) The police targeted 'poor' people and used the power we have given them in an improper manner (Illegally stoping motorists with no true probable cause)

I truly don't know the answer to the issue of police/public relations, but I know that the police breaking the law is not the answer.

Back when I was a kid the cops would hand out baseball cards, so to get the full set you had to seek out the cops and engage them, but it's a different time now.

Edit: Thanks Domo1, you forced me to learn how to quote from another member's post...cheers

top topics

<< 1   >>

join