It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cops pull over drivers and hand out 100k from 'secret santa'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

In Kansas City, flashing red and blue lights had drivers seeing green earlier this month, after an anonymous wealthy benefactor enlisted sheriff's deputies there to pull over motorists, then hand over $100 bills instead of tickets. The $100,000 giveaway was the brainchild of a wealthy Missouri businessman, known only as "Secret Santa," who donates similar amounts of money each holiday season. This year, reports CBS, he trusted officers to seek out drivers in need, as indicated by the condition of their vehicles, then hand out money.

this is cool. kind of goes with the other thread about cops pulling people over and giving them gifts.
i would have been a bit of a grinch about that one. wouldnt want to be duped into sitting there for 20 minutes while they run off to get a gift for me but i could definitely handle a 100 bones.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

This stupidity needs to stop.

If I got pulled over and the cop tried to give me money, you had better believe I would be getting his badge number, and filing suit with the jurisdiction. The cops aren't your friends, and trying to buy loyalty isn't going to work.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
That's great !

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

If I got pulled over and the cop tried to give me money, you had better believe I would be getting his badge number, and filing suit with the jurisdiction.

Good luck with that dude.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington

This stupidity needs to stop.

If I got pulled over and the cop tried to give me money, you had better believe I would be getting his badge number, and filing suit with the jurisdiction. The cops aren't your friends, and trying to buy loyalty isn't going to work.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

If I got pulled over and the cop tried to give me money, you had better believe I would be getting his badge number, and filing suit with the jurisdiction.

Good luck with that dude.

Luck has little to do with it when you are knowledgeable about your rights and how to execute them.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

golf clap? cookie? medal?

the money didnt come from the cops. they were just the instrument for delivery

id take the money

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

oh yeah.
the whole, the cops violated my rights(and i know them) so now i am going to file a frivolous lawsuit and waste the courts time angle
got it

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

golf clap? cookie? medal?

the money didnt come from the cops. they were just the instrument for delivery

id take the money

Great, take the money. Maybe I was wrong about bribery not working.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Luck has little to do with it when you are knowledgeable about your rights and how to execute them.

So good luck again.

I don't think you would have a case. Even if you did it would probably be laughed out. "Boo hoo cops pulled me over when I wasn't doing anything wrong to give me money."

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

oh yeah.
the whole, the cops violated my rights(and i know them) so now i am going to file a frivolous lawsuit and waste the courts time angle
got it

I'm sorry that you believe that protecting your rights is frivolous, I'm not of that opinion.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I'm sorry that you believe that protecting your rights is frivolous, I'm not of that opinion.

You don't see an enormous difference between this and stopping someone with no cause in an attempt to find something?

Even if this is illegal (and I doubt it), any evidence gathered wouldn't be admissible.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

If I was wealthy and had millions of dollars just sitting in the bank, this is something I would do. I would rather donate money directly to the people who need it, rather going through a charity organization. You don't really know how much of your donation will go directly to those who need it.

Kudos to the wealthy guy who is sharing his wealth to those who are less fortunate.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

So good luck again.

I don't think you would have a case. Even if you did it would probably be laughed out. "Boo hoo cops pulled me over when I wasn't doing anything wrong to give me money."

It won't be "laughed out of court" and it is very clearly defined by the SCOTUS as to how and why police can pull someone over outside of mandatory check points.

Reasonable Suspicion of a Crime or Civil Infraction.

That's it.

Any other stopping by the police is a violation of rights for any reason. This has been upheld time and time again. It would be a slam dunk.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

what right?
the right to not be handed a c note?

i dont understand

the way a bribe works is...

i will give you this hundo IF you do this for me

thats not what happened here

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

How is it bribery? The money doesn't come from the cops. It comes from an anonymous donor. How can you be bribed by an anonymous person??? To whom would you owe a debt of gratitude?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: bhornbuckle75

No, you're right... it couldn't be bribery, in Missouri, where there was justa massive PR nightmare for the police, and then, out of the blue, the police get contacted by a wealthy businessman and are given thousands of dollars to hand out to poor people so as to raise the image of the police.

Nope, you're right. Totally altruistic, I'm sure.

I take it all back, the cops are your friends.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

well that would certainly be a pleasant surprise.......i bet the drivers that get the money would be driving away with a smile considering they were expecting a fine or a bullet....

although it is not really suitable use of police time the intent is good and i reckon good on em and the generous donator

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I almost guarantee that these stops are being done legally. It is incredibly easy to pop someone while they are driving. Making illegal turns, burned out taillight, deep tint (that was one of the reasons cops stated for pulling a woman over they gave presents to in a similar story).

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I almost guarantee that these stops are being done legally. It is incredibly easy to pop someone while they are driving. Making illegal turns, burned out taillight, deep tint (that was one of the reasons cops stated for pulling a woman over they gave presents to in a similar story).

It would be an interesting case, none the less, because you would have the motive for the stop itself in question as soon as the police attempted to hand over the cash. Was the civil infraction that reason, or was giving the money the reason for the stop.

The fact that there was instruction for giving the money only to people the cops deemed "in need" based on the condition of their car might be enough wiggle room to argue an illegal stop. I know that I would certainly fight it, if only to set a precedent to make this kind of stupidity a thing of the past.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join