It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newtown families to announce lawsuit against gunmaker

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

The families whose loved ones were taken from them in 2012 have had 24 months to mourn, 24 months to try to understand why, and 24 months to take legal action. That period ends Sunday. So Sandy Hook victims' families have reportedly filed a lawsuit against Bushmaster, the company that made the semi-automatic rifle Adam Lanza carried

Source

Well this is some next level bullsnip to borrow from the ATS namesake.

Lanza stole the weapon from his mother after killing her.

So how the hell is Bushmaster responsible?

NEWTOWN, Conn. -- Adam Lanza, the suspect in the suburban Connecticut elementary school shooting rampage, tried to purchase a "long gun" rifle from a local shop but was turned away because he did not want to wait for the required 14-day background check, law enforcement sources said

articles.latimes.com...

Bullsnip lawsuits are no way to honor those children's memories.

edit on 15-12-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
If I was a judge I would throw that out of court

that's like suing the makers of pavements because your kid slipped in dog # and broke his back on the concrete
edit on 15-12-2014 by aightism2 because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Wasting time and money IMO and trying to further an agenda on the backs of deceased children.

There's no way they can win this. Even if Adam hadn't stolen the gun, they simply can't win. If they do, then every person ever shot will be rushing the courthouse.

You can't sue the spoon for making you fat. You can't sue the street drugs that made you lose your family. That's just not the way it works.

I understand some of them want what they perceive as justice, but filing lawsuits that will end with nothing but more heartache and disappointment for them isn't going to do it.

The only (logical?) reason I can see for this action is to keep the gun debate in full swing until...

Other than that I am not sure what they are hoping to accomplish. My heart aches for their loss. I know their pain all too well. There is nothing that can assuage that.
edit on 12/15/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

It won't go anywhere, let the parents do it if it makes them feel better.
It might be what some need, since they can't go after who did it, they go after what they used.

Not sure it is something to get mad about

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
It's not about the families. It's about free publicity for law firms. Even if they lose, which they will, it will still spread their unique smarm on the news for a day or two covering tv, internet, and newspapers for one low price!

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

What!?

This has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. These "parents" are piggybacking off the loss of their kids? For what? This solves nothing! NOTHING! Honestly having a lot of doubts about this whole thing now... seriously, wtf!?

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
That's odd. How is the gun manufacturer more to blame than the police officers on the scene who kept the medics away from the school while all those kids bled out? That's who I'd be going after. Or the people in charge of keeping the roadway clear for ambulances so that the only egress from the school wouldn't become a hopelessly congested clusterfudge.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
this is a stupid case and should be thrown out should it even make it past administral level,wonder what decade mass public phsyops will be made up for FOI's... soon i hope

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Actually, families can and do sue dealers who sold the fix that killed their relative. You can sue a bar for selling booze to someone who gets more tore up and takes out a bus full of orphan nuns. You're right about the spoon

And spot on for the whole pro/anti-gun thing. Both camps benefit whenever gun rights are argued. It creates higher sales for one, and a reason for the other to exist and not have to get a real job.
edit on 15-12-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: haven123
this is a stupid case and should be thrown out should it even make it past administral level,wonder what decade mass public phsyops will be made for FOI's... soon i hope

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

"If you can prove that a manufacturer knew in some way that the gun would end up the hands of a proscribed purchaser, someone who shouldn't have the gun, you might be able to show liability. But it is going to be very difficult," he said.

so now the Ambulance chasing lawyers are victimizing the families by giving them false hope of winning a law suit.

The families are enlisting some big name legal talent, including Michael Koskoff, who represented the Jackson family in their suit against the promoter of Michael Jackson's last tour and Karen Hinton, a former aide to President Clinton.

edit on 15-12-2014 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Sounds more like a lawyers scam to get insurance liability money.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

To me this seems like an open and shut win for Bushmaster. Honestly, if I were them, I would counter-sue the crap out of the family for all they have. They mourn for their loss of a child, now let them mourn the loss of everything they own for being greedy and using a tragedy to make money.

DingleBerry
edit on 15-12-2014 by DingleBerry80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DingleBerry80

I would counter-sue the crap out of the family for all they have.

No. Not the families. They have been through enough.

I'd have the lawyers disbarred.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
On another note looks like Mexicans get to sue the DOJ, and the current administration with its gun running, Fast and Furious.

Lots of kids died down south.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
not only will it be thrown out; the lawyers that took the case should pay all fees and punitive damages equal to 1 million for every second of court time (counting administrative time) it takes to throw it out.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

LOL 1 million per second? I know you were just being extreme but come now.
People have the right to file law suits and how frivolous suits get dealt with is they get thrown out.
It is not a 'waste of time' it is peoples right to use the court system to challenge what they think is wrong and should not and will not be punished for it.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

They will lose. And they are losers for trying such a thing.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: stormbringer1701

LOL 1 million per second? I know you were just being extreme but come now.
People have the right to file law suits and how frivolous suits get dealt with is they get thrown out.
It is not a 'waste of time' it is peoples right to use the court system to challenge what they think is wrong and should not and will not be punished for it.

I'm not talking about the parents. the court ruling should also specify that it's the lawyers and law firm that must pay damages. The parents cannot be billed by the lawyers or firm for any of it.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
And this is the world that we all live in. No matter what happens, whether it was your own fault or not, you got to try and sue someone no matter how ludicrous the claim is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join