It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just what I needed this close to Christmas.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
Back when I still used banks, I had several times where they would hold all of my transactions until the withdrawals put me under zero, then they would run the deposits. The offer draft fees were only known by my own record keeping.

The only way I found to beat it was too keep solid track of receipts, records, and dates.

They always claimed it was a simple k mistake when I was able to prove the sequence of events.. Heh

Iunno man. At this point, now that it's happened to me AND my boyfriend in a couple months time frame, from the same bank... I'm thinking I'm just done with banks. Maybe my money is safer hidden in my house somewhere. At least than I know that if money goes missing I took it, or the house was robbed, and in that case thousands of dollars worth of other stuff would be gone, too.

It's just ridiculous. And if I want something online I'll just get a disposable visa from Walmart or something. I really didn't think I was going to turn into one of those people who don't trust banks, but I keep hearing about this happening. Happened to me now, happened to my boyfriend, happened to my aunt on the other side of the country. Just done.
edit on 15-12-2014 by Lyxdeslic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

I totally agree.

There are many other decent options out there. After several months of things like that (in my previous post), I said "eff it." They are criminals.

If it was a mistake to sequence my deposits/withdrawals in such a beneficial way (for the bank), then they can't be trusted with my money. That said, I don't think it was a mistake at all and I'm guessing they were making a lot of money on it.

It also helps that I don't have enough mone, at this point, to warrant anything other than a wallet

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

You need to set up online banking. Something you can just check from your computer or phone. Any time the urge hits you. The bank might have hit you with service charges for all the phone calls checking your balance and transactions.

Plus, sometimes for online shopping, a credit card is safer. It doesn't come out of the account right away, and I found them helpful once when Amazon.com piggybacked a bogus charge onto an Amazon.ca order.
Problem was solved, money refunded, and someone got fired for theft.
I'm not sure if debit cards come with the same scrutiny

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I don't want to sound like a c**t but if you had $1,000.00 in there and only spent $300.00 but the bank are claiming you have no money left then go into the bank and explain the situation. They will print you a statement and you can look at it and realise where you went wrong or where your card has been compromised. This really is one of life's very simple tasks.

I have sympathy for you feeling sad and poor but no sympathy for your lack of ability of coping with this incredibly simple obstacle.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

My bank provided me "over-draft" protection...then said I owed $30 for an overdraft.

Asking how that could be...they explain they covered another of my $.03 cents under-balance that caused an overdraft. They paid it so it wouldnt...and charged me $30 for an overdraft fee they had to prevent.

WTH? Apparently...they protect you by paying the difference on one...then charge you becasue it was an overdraft...THEY covered. And then my acct was SERIOUSLY inacurrate with balance by $30....so if I KEPT using it further.....!

Yes, I closed the acct with that bank....

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
I don't want to sound like a c**t but if you had $1,000.00 in there and only spent $300.00 but the bank are claiming you have no money left then go into the bank and explain the situation. They will print you a statement and you can look at it and realise where you went wrong or where your card has been compromised. This really is one of life's very simple tasks.

I have sympathy for you feeling sad and poor but no sympathy for your lack of ability of coping with this incredibly simple obstacle.

I've already talked to them. They won't do anything about it because the transactions are all mine. The numbers just don't add up. So actually, I've already attempted to deal with it, and they refuse to do anything about it other than not charge me the overdraw fee because it was never supposed to be able to be overdrawn. I really don't need someone insinuating that I can't perform simple tasks in order to make things right.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Placing your dependency on both the bank's records to be accurate and up-to-the-day, and the stores to submit the transaction to the banks daily is where you're going wrong.

The correct and responsible thing to do is keep track of everything you spend, subtract it from what you have, and know EXACTLY what you have in your account. You can't depend on electronic transactions to be accurate or timely when they show up as pending--especially restaurants if you put a tip on your card.

My advice...keep better records by recording as you spend, each time you spend, then you can subtract the totals each time and have an up-to-the-minute accurate account of your funds.

I hate to tell you, but this isn't the bank's fault.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Placing your dependency on both the bank's records to be accurate and up-to-the-day, and the stores to submit the transaction to the banks daily is where you're going wrong.

The correct and responsible thing to do is keep track of everything you spend, subtract it from what you have, and know EXACTLY what you have in your account. You can't depend on electronic transactions to be accurate or timely when they show up as pending--especially restaurants if you put a tip on your card.

My advice...keep better records by recording as you spend, each time you spend, then you can subtract the totals each time and have an up-to-the-minute accurate account of your funds.

I hate to tell you, but this isn't the bank's fault.

You've obviously not understood what I've posted, or you didn't read it. I have kept track. I'm kind of a control freak, and write everything I spend down. I know how much I had in my account, and like I already said, even if that money didn't go through (which it should have because it always has before) there is still no possible way it would be $-30 in my account. And I know that because I have kept track of my money on my own and verify it with the bank when I call.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lyxdeslic
The numbers just don't add up.

Everything that has gone into and out of your account has an audit trail. Especially if you have gone online with your spending.

If you can not provide them with this trail, they can provide you with it.

If the numbers don't add up - highlight the bits that don't add up. Numbers are physical. All of this will be on paper.

There must be something where the money is there and then not this will be recorded. The original money going in will be recorded. Your spending will be recorded. A-B = C. If it = D then you can highlight at least the differences in the amount missing and go from there.

Sorry man, I'm being harsh but sometimes people need a kick up the arse.

edit on 15-12-2014 by and14263 because: Because I can no longer type coherently.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

The numbers just don't add up.

Everything that has gone into and out of your account has an audit trail. Especially if you have gone online with your spending.

If you can not provide them with this trail, they can provide you with it.

If the numbers don't add up - highlight the bits that don't add up. Numbers are physical. All of this will be on paper.

There must be something where the money is there and then not this will be recorded. The original money going in will be recorded. Your spending will be recorded. A-B = C. If it = D then you can highlight at least the differences in the amount missing and go from there.

Sorry man, I'm being harsh but sometimes people need a kick up the arse.

I can assure you that I am not one of those people. Thank you for bringing another possibility foreword, but I've done all the looking into it. Basically the bank is saying "You can't prove what happened so we're not doing anything about it." I mean, at least they aren't charging me the overdraw fee, too... But seriously. This has happened way too often at this bank.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Sorry you're having troubles

Banks are downgrading personnel. Switch to a credit union.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Go to the bank in person. If you're on the phone, they'll just keep running you around, knowing you'll get fed up and probably drop it. Skip the teller and go straight to a manager. The teller is just going to keep repeating what they're supposed to say, "Not our fault, sorry I can't help you". Take your account records with you and do not leave till you've figured it out. If they see you're determined, you'll get results.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
how much you owe op? pm me if you dont want people knowing,

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

with the new electronic age things can move faster or slower. Write a check at Walmart and they run it through the register and hand the check right back to you. It cleared that fast. Drop off a check at the bank after 2 pm and you will not have the funds in your account until 10 or 11 am the next morning.
this might be what happened to you.

Correct you are, when dealing with this kind of thing never assume your money transfers are complete until at least 3 working days later.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Tomorrow. DRIVE to the bank. Go in and say I'd like a print out of my account please. Don't even ask them anything else just get the print out in your hands. Go outside to your car or something where you can be in private and think. Read that and see if you can figure out what happened.

Did your $170 deposit post yet - or did you not ask about that? It could be that that money wasn't credited to you yet, it also could be your money was deposited to someone elses account. I've had that happened where I made a deposit and it was given to someone else before.

The money went somewhere - it did NOT just disappear - there WILL BE a record - regardless of who's fault it is you should be able to see EXACTLY what happened. Then it can be determined if it is your or their error and if its theirs you will be made right.

Source: former bank teller.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Don't get angry at me...sheesh. I did read your post, and offered you a better way to keep track than relying on the reporting of the stores and banks to tell you what your current monetary worth is in that account. I used to do it the way you described, and it got me in trouble more than once.

Take my advice for what it's worth, or disregard it. Either way, it's no skin off my back...just trying to help.

... After every transaction, I've been calling the bank to make sure nothing is pending so I would always know how much I have, and I would never run the risk of getting myself in a situation I can't get out of.

I called the bank this morning just to double check, and they tell me I am overdrawn by 30 dollars, which makes NO sense when we take into consideration exactly how much money I had in my account to begin with. They read me all of the transactions and they all sound right, so they are claiming it as not something on their end.

I have quoted you and bolded the parts that tell me that you are relying on the bank and may not be keeping track of everything you spend as well as you think and claim--I'm not saying you're not trying to, but, hell, a transaction here and there escapes even the best of transaction keepers, especially when doing everything with a card and during the holidays. But when you say things like "they all sound right," that implies you don't have a written list that you have kept after every purchase and cross-checked it while on the phone. You sounded uncertain.

Please, don't make me out to be the one in the wrong, here--I'm not the one having account-balance issues. I'm speaking to you from experience and offering advice after thoroughly reading (and re-reading, at this point) your OP. Like I said, if you don't want to take it or listen, that's fine--and if it doesn't apply, that's fine, too--but at any given point of any day, I can tell you exactly down to the cent what I have in my account, and I don't have to ask the bank or go online to figure it out. While I do cross-reference every few days to ensure there hasn't been some fraud--especially right now--I don't rely on those to be accurate up to the day (and they usually aren't--online tells me I have more than I really do because some places can take DAYS to post the transaction to your bank).

I hope you figure it out, regardless.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I have found less than I expected in my bank account twice - and when I needed it too.

On both occasions someone had delayed banking a cheque I had given them - taking about three weeks before they bothered. And, if I remember, waiting until near the end of the month before doing so.

People who hang on to cheques are an absolute pain. Although it makes sense to check every item on a bank statement, if you are relying on a mini-statement from a cash machine before your proper monthly statement turns up it can be easy to not notice a missing item.

<< 1   >>

join