It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio teen refuses to do homework until school brings back Ten Commandments plaque

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

I'm not going to defend my motivations from these attacks. Address my points. My motivations don't detract from the validity of my points.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

To be honest, I think you are just mad that I slammed the Ten Commandments.

I was trying to point out its not about religion, according to the student. Personally, I think the religious overtones therein are misleading and a control trip placed on people by Organized Religion.

But his engaging in protest about the schools decision to take dow a plaque there is not a religious move on his part its a challenge to the authority of the school through lawful protest. Thats what I am commending him for, and called you on.

I think that kid sees plenty past his own nose to be aware enough about things like that.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
I was trying to point out its not about religion, according to the student. Personally, I think the religious overtones therein are misleading and a control trip placed on people by Organized Religion.

If it wasn't about religion for the student (I really have trouble believing that since he said that all students should live by the commandments so he either hasn't read them well enough to know them or is lying since 4 of the commandments have to do with god and therefore have no influence on a non-Christian), then he should be ok with displaying an alternative artifact to guide the students. I see, STILL, no one has addressed my counter idea to display the Bill of Rights.

But his engaging in protest about the schools decision to take dow a plaque there is not a religious move on his part its a challenge to the authority of the school through lawful protest. Thats what I am commending him for, and called you on.

First off, he is a minor. He doesn't have the same rights as adults. Especially when it comes to schools. Second, it isn't lawful protest. He is just going to be suspended then eventually expelled if he continues down this path.

I think that kid sees plenty past his own nose to be aware enough about things like that.

No, he is more concerned about the aesthetics of his high school than his future. That is pretty short-sighted. I, personally, cannot remember any of the art in my high school and I graduated in 2003.
edit on 15-12-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

a reply to: Grovit

he will soon realize that high school did not matter in the big picture of life.

Only morons think that.

Everyones life matters, and every part of it is important. I give him kudos for being the only kid to try and teach the other kids something they will never learn in "public school".

i think the people that believe high school actually matters/mattered in the big picture of life are the morons.
the people that believe high school will be or was their 'wonder years'
hahahah

high school is a mere blip of unimportant #
i dont mean the education...i mean all the other crap
means nothing
its not wonderful....
maybe for the prom queen that is/was oh so popular and everyone loved her...yeah, i could see that being the best time of her life.
you know, now that she is on her 3rd marriage and 5th kid its understandable.

I'll let this poor recording from "Little Miss Sunshine" convey it. Hi school is our prime suffering years where we learn a lot about ourselves. (Adult language)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

it is our prime suffering years..
i think it teaches us more about other people than it does about ourselves though
most importantly
most people are assholes and will get over on you if they can or if it serves them

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I see, STILL, no one has addressed my counter idea to display the Bill of Rights.

The preamble to the constitution is still there on the wall.

A gift to the Harding High School from its graduating class of 1953, the plaque had hung next to the Preamble of the United States Constitution until it was removed by the Marion City School District.

The plaque was removed over the summer, but freshman Anthony Miller only decided to go on strike when he learned that its removal was permanent.

He and other students are also circulating a petition demanding the plaque be replaced.

“Until there is at least some agreement made between the administration and the students,” Miller said, he will continue his strike.

So he's protesting to garner attention,(which is working), circulating a petition, and practicing civil disobedience by not doing homework, wearing his school shirt or attending activities.

Apparently all this "activism" is working…

Principal Kirk Koennecke said that he plans to meet with Miller and other concerned students on January 6 to discuss alternative locations for the plaque.

I don't care what his grievance is about, its a wonderful lesson for us all.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

You think that public schools and buildings should be filled with religious icons? Seriously? A giant crucifix on the lawn of PS 128 would be a good idea? A menorah in a county courtroom?

I would never tell anyone what to believe in, but there is separation of church and state. This is not about equality or supremacy. I don't even get how you bring that into it.

Equality? Yeah, we treat all religions equally under law. None are to be represented in a government building or school.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

We rebelled against the school itself. But not through "protest". Heres a close proximity. This is about school in the UK not the states, but the same era.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

The preamble to the constitution is still there on the wall.

Good.

So he's protesting to garner attention,(which is working), circulating a petition, and practicing civil disobedience by not doing homework, wearing his school shirt or attending activities.

Well I give him props for the petition, the other things are useless.

Apparently all this "activism" is working…

Well a meeting with the principle doesn't mean he is going to get his way.

I don't care what his grievance is about, its a wonderful lesson for us all.

I hope he is proud of his actions when he finds out that he can't get into the college of his choice from failing his classes all for some silly aesthetics. I can tell you this much, colleges don't consider social activism an extracurricular activity. They'll just throw his application in the trash.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
He will fail his courses and ruin his life because he doesn't think its fair that he can't force his religion on every body else.

I did notice that he's not fighting to display any different religion's artwork, only his. If he doesn't understand why they should not be there. Then someone should display the satanic bible in his bedroom and then prohibit him from removing it.

a reply to: olaru12

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I hope Anthony opens the flood gates of protest for religious freedom in his high school. It would be wonderful
If all the Goth kids could have their voodoo alter, and the pagans could run around naked if they so chose and the stoners
could have a nice sanctuary where they could imbibe their "sacraments" and watch cartoons.

I'm sure his peers will instill in him the true meaning of democracy when they exercise their freedom of speech with their
sarcastic jabs and taunts. imo he will be transferring to a Christian school next semester.
edit on 15-12-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
LOL This is funny. They won't put up this kids cult rules and so he refuses to do homework.

If my kids tried this, they would rue the day!

It's just a way for him to get out of doing homework.
edit on 15-12-2014 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

To be honest, I think you are just mad that I slammed the Ten Commandments. But at the end of the day, it is a religious artifact and secular and non-Christian students don't need to see it. If the kid was TRULY looking to display a document for the kids to learn by and exemplify, then there are plenty of good secular documents to display, like the Bill of Rights or the Constitution. Almost half of the Ten Commandments don't apply to non-Christians, so it is unimportant to them.

Maybe if the kid actually STUDIED those documents instead of religious documents like the Ten Commandments, he'd know that the Ten Commandments are a religious artifact, with the Bill of Rights outlining that religion and government need to be separate (yes I know it doesn't specifically spell out separation of church and state, but the wording definitely implies it).

The plaque was a "gift" to the school from the graduating class of 1953. NO public funds were used to purchase the plaque. The plaque was displayed beside the Preamble to the Constitution. I know that doesn't sway your opinion, so let's see what the Supreme Court say's on this matter.

If these factors provide a strong, but not conclusive, indication that the Commandments' text on this monument conveys a predominantly secular message, a further factor is determinative here. As far as I can tell, 40 years passed in which the presence of this monument, legally speaking, went unchallenged (until the single legal objection raised by petitioner). And I am not aware of any evidence suggesting that this was due to a climate of intimidation. Hence, those 40 years suggest more strongly than can any set of formulaic tests that few individuals, whatever their system of beliefs, are likely to have understood the monument as amounting, in any significantly detrimental way, to a government effort to favor a particular religious sect, primarily to promote religion over nonreligion, to "engage in" any "religious practic[e]," to "compel" any "religious practic[e]," or to "work deterrence" of any "religious belief." Schempp, 374 U. S., at 305 (Goldberg, J., concurring). Those 40 years suggest that the public visiting the capitol grounds has considered the religious aspect of the tablets' message as part of what is a broader moral and historical message reflective of a cultural heritage.

Van Orden vs. Perry

This was the plurality opinion of Justice Stephen Breyer. On the same date this decision was handed down, Justice Breyer voted against a very similar case, McCreary County v. ACLU of Kentucky.

Seeing that 61 years have passed since the plaque was placed, your "appeal to tradition fallacy" appears to be a moot point. How many religious children and atheist children have passed by this plaque daily, and not really been affected? I understand that religion should not be forced on anyone. However, if this kid had not said he was in support of returning the plaque, how many atheists would be supporting it's removal?

Something happened to cause it's removal, but was it an actual court decision, or the threat of one? The Freedom From Religion Foundation threatens lawsuits all the time. They even threatened 2 elementary schools in Midlothian, Tx., which is about 5 miles from my home, over two plaques. They dropped their threats after the school board stood up to them, and they realized they had no standing to file their case.

Justice Sandra Day O'Connor said that we don't count heads in order to enforce the 1st amendment. Excellent point. However, we spend so much time litigating frivolous lawsuits in this country, I would rather see important issues brought to light. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, a dadgum metal plaque on the wall, providing tax exempt housing to a pastor, a cross on a hill in California, these are not the things that will help our country. We have much bigger things ahead, and many more important things to worry about. If people are so easily offended, that's not my problem. OMG, there's a Christmas tree on the court house lawn! Call it a holiday tree and move on. If you feel "traumatized", go see a doctor and get some drugs. Yes, I see things I don't agree with, but do I go to court about them? No. I don't drive by them, or go to that shop.

This kid exercised his rights, and be it misguided or not, all the things he has been called in this thread are not warranted. As the OP stated, he does not agree with his stance, but he admires him for doing what he feels is right. You want to belittle his beliefs, yet promote your beliefs as superior. Each person is allowed their beliefs, whether you or anyone else like it or not.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Well I give him props for the petition, the other things are useless.

But all within his rights. "They" aren't defacing school property, disrupting any activity. Akin to a hunger strike, his "homework strike" is ingenious. It calls attention to his cause without actually harming anyone but himself (like you keep pointing out). His actions aren't designed to hurt anyone or the school, the petition and posture are well within the constitution, in fact it shows he has a good understanding of it.

Like a hunger strike, the "authority" has to address it without "punishing" him, because he isn't breaking the law.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

He's not putting up a fit. He's standing up.

Sorry but a kid saying do what I want or I will not do my work is a kid having a fit.

And believe me, at the root of it all is because it's the 10 Commandments.

Thank you for stating the obvious seeing how that kid said it was the 10 commandments was the root of his whine fit.
edit on 15-12-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I think the kids should be forced to tithe 10% of their lunch money. To me. They should also receive communion during homeroom, and read the Torah or Quran aloud on stage during assemblies. Hall monitors will be replaced with altar boys. Graduation ceremonies will be replaced with Bar and Bat Mitzvas. Then Anthony can resume schoolwork and wearing his band tee-shirt. There, now that that's done, what's next on the agenda?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This could ultimately be a great lesson for all concerned. Especially Anthony...when he asks for a date and
the pretty little red headed girl responds with "I don't go out with geeks" High school can be a lonely and cruel place.

edit on 15-12-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: XP100

I think the kids should be forced to tithe 10% of their lunch money. To me. They should also receive communion during homeroom, and read the Torah or Quran aloud on stage during assemblies. Hall monitors will be replaced with altar boys. Graduation ceremonies will be replaced with Bar and Bat Mitzvas. Then Anthony can resume schoolwork and wearing his band tee-shirt. There, now that that's done, what's next on the agenda?

Agreed if they are going to respect one religion then they should be forced to respect all of them. Also if they put the commandments back up then they should also be forced to put up the 11 Satanic rules of the Earth.

1.Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
2.Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
3.When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
4.If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
5.Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
6.Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
7.Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
8.Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
9.Do not harm little children.
10.Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
11.When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

edit on 15-12-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

"Miller insisted that the Ten Commandments are not just a religious symbol, but guidelines it would behoove all students to follow, and that he will carry on with his strike until the plaque is replaced."

So, if hell does freeze over and the plaque is replaced, will that marching band tee shirt be warm enough?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Your entire point is it's stupid because it's the 10 Commandments. You can deny it all you want but that's where your hatred for this kid comes from. You're just getting bent out of shape because you've failed to hide it behind your arguments.

Don't sit here and try to cover up your prejudice and bigotry with excuses.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join