It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio teen refuses to do homework until school brings back Ten Commandments plaque

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
The Ten Commandments for ALL students.

Um, no. I can get behind the whole “thou shalt not murder” business – that’s a pretty fundamental part of the whole social-fabric thing we’ve got going on (although if you need to remind students to follow that particular rule, your school probably has bigger problems than what is or isn’t posted on the walls). But it’s hard to figure out how “You shall have no other gods before me”, “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain”, and “Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy” can possibly fall under the purview of totally-not-religious, applicable-to-everyone general rules to live by.

In fact I think the only way you could possibly consider those three Commandments in particular to be perfectly secular is if you have your head buried so far up your perception of Christian cultural hegemony that you’re no longer aware that people who believe differently even exist.

www.mommyish.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien A GED is as good as a high school diploma, yes it's true. OMG, you can even get into college with a GED. Have to take an ACT or SAT or whatever it is these days but yes, you can.
True story.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofsheba

oh yeah I know but it will take longer and that is if that kid truly apply himself. One thing to think about tho... companies will think twice about hiring him due to him behaving like that. It's a liability to their companies.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien Really, you think? I dunno, Apple or Google employs those out side the box thinkers...and from what I've seen their workplace and environments are pretty cool. Well, I'm sure there are no homeschooled kids who ever got into Harvard or the other top universities....they don't have a "diploma" either, I guess.

edit on 17-12-2014 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   

For new ideas? Sure. Will Google hire him? You tell me.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien Contact me after the upcoming full moon when my psychic abilities reach their apex...until then it's a guessing game at best....

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

He's talking about me. He thinks that I am a bigot towards Christians because he thinks I admitted to it earlier in the thread. I, personally, don't care what he thinks about me and would like him to answer my points about the topic, but he won't get off the bigotry kick so whatever.
edit on 17-12-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

For new ideas? Sure. Will Google hire him? You tell me.

I doubt Google would hire him. They might wanna know what his views on marriage equality are. But, he could probably get a job with NOM.

I remember being idealistic and against the system. Kinda goes right up there with " You can live on love".

Then I grew up. Took me years to understand the work environment and separate it from my personal integrity.

So, raising my grandkids now. They will learn to work with the system and be independent on their own time.

edit on 17-12-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

I am seeing more and more with your viewpoint and it is greatly encouraging. Hopefully someday we will live in a world where we encourage others in their beliefs rather than convert everyone who believes differently. (we both know exactly what responses such a statement is likely to receive, eh?)

There is beauty in the diversity, as well as a platform for us all to reach greater understanding about ourselves, others, and this place we live.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Lol who wants to convert everybody? If we converted everybody I'd lose my Jewish friends, Muslim and Baha'i friends. Screw that, the world is based off of diversity, and it's beautiful like you said. I'm a Christian, not ashamed and proud. What kind of world would this be if everyone was a Christian or an atheist or a Pastafarian? Very drab and uniform....

But yeah definitely, convert or die!!! If you don't follow the distorted doctrine of the Church controlled by money hungry, control freaks you need to be sent to hell!!!

Just kidding

edit on 17-12-2014 by Yeahkeepwatchingme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

I think the vast majority of people want to convert others to their way of thinking, and will tend to focus on extreme elements that exist in the "opposing" social group.

It's even more subtle than that though.. Attempting to get people to see the value in such diversity is a conversion attempt, in its way. I have found myself doing it often as well. It's easy to spend so much time trying to "wake people up" that we are left with little time to work towards something better with people where that conflict doesn't exist.

We could always try to work with the elements that enjoy true diversity, because those exist in every labelled group too. That does take more effort though, as they are not as loud or publicized. It also takes introspection and personal responsibility.

Those who cherish the diversity can start working together and setting an example. I think it would be more productive. At the very least, more time would be spent growing and making forward progress than trying to get people to see value in something they wish dismantled.
edit on 17-12-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

The world is divide and conquer. The more people go against eachother, the less they'll go against the ones who truly oppress every one of us. But I don't think there's a god like the Christian god. A big guy sitting on a throne surrounded by clouds. Doesn't seem right to me.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
It's nice to see him stand up for what he believes in, putting so much passion energy into it. Maybe he should try channeling that energy and willpower into fighting something that isn't stupid.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: technical difficulties

Quite possibly the best post in this thread.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: technical difficulties

It's nice to see him stand up for what he believes in, putting so much passion energy into it.Maybe he should try channeling that energy and willpower into fighting something that isn't stupid.

Yeah, maybe. Right now he's shooting himself in the foot for something that is a fringe fight, and has nothing to do with HIS future.

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join