It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photographer Salgado tells AFP 'planet near extinction'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

HEY we heard the SAME STATEMENT during the ECOLOGYclasses telling us how the earth would be choked and uninhabitable by 1990. AND HOW we would be SAVED by recycling...
Not true then OR now,not by our doing.
edit on 14-12-2014 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

This "us" who you keep referring too, has no power.

Never did, and the majority did not, will not, and have nothing to do with the systems that we are thrust into.

Nothing good is allowed to take center stage, not by "us" but by those who have a system to maintain, one in which "us" never has, or will have, a say.

The questions or answers given to "us" are not "from" "us" not "FOR" "us" and do not help "us" either.

The idea that central banking is good does not come from "us" either, but from a group who claim that nothing better can come out of it.

It is beyond belief, how SOUNDLY BEATEN, so badly and profoundly lost, actually believe this is some kind of natural progression built by the group that makes up humanity.

And that we by changing our ways, will somehow have any effect on whether or not the unstoppable force, that "we" did not build.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

And that we by changing our ways, will somehow have any effect on whether or not the unstoppable force, that "we" did not build.
Please read again, unless you intended a straw man argument. That is not what I wrote.

It would take more than that but that would be a good start and without that start, indeed, nothing would happen.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
needed quote not reply

edit on 15-12-2014 by Golden Rule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

And what is that supposed to be?
You asked what my point was. I reminded you because you seemed to have forgotten.
You started out blaming "them" for the state of the world. My point is that "them" is "us."

"Us and them
And after all we're only ordinary men
Me and you
God only knows
It's not what we would choose to do
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat
And the lines on the map
Moved from side to side
Black and blue
And who knows which is which and who is who
Up and down
And in the end it's only round 'n round
Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
The poster bearer cried..."

Phage is right. It is a challenge for us to break free of the conditioning and awaken. Or else lose a little more every day. If there was no hypnosis there could be no awakening. We would be like the Eloi in H.G. Wells' story: The Time Machine. Grist for the mill.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   
There is limited water in CA anyway. Now they use it for fracking. Take from the public and give to industry. I think they dumped 8 mill gallons of waste water illegally too. SAN FRANCISCO— Almost 3 billion gallons of oil industry wastewater have been illegally dumped into central California aquifers that supply drinking water and farming irrigation, according to state documents obtained by the Center for Biological Diversity. The wastewater entered the aquifers through at least nine injection disposal wells used by the oil industry to dispose of waste contaminated with fracking fluids and other pollutants.
www.biologicaldiversity.org...

Fracking ruins our planet worse than the air pollution from the oil. It contaminate our water supplies.

a reply to: 3u40r15m

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Another shill for Climate Change/Agenda 21/Humans are parasites-we have to tax everybody to fix things bs.

Not that humans are not culpable for things, but these people are hysterical. It is well known that Greenpeace manufactures things to prove their point.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
Uh oh, I'm starting to sound too much like a tree hugging liberal.

Hehe, welcome TA....we tree hugging liberals aren't all that unbearable.

originally posted by: Vortiki
The entire issue at hand now, is that people are realizing what is going on, but are becoming frustrated because no one knows what they can do to change anything about the entire situation.

We can all make a decided effort to use less of everything. That is a start.
Less electricity, less gasoline, less packaging, fewer shopping bags, plastic water bottles, one less trendy new shirt, go without one steak dinner; it all adds up.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Gorillas and large apes are killed for 'bushmeat' to feed the miners digging out the rare earth's to make all the plastic and metal crap people seem to need, which is why I don't buy, or want all the ipads and galaxy do da's, I have a desk top, and a printer, and a large TV, but I refuse to update cells phones I don't need, or blueberries, miniature laptops etc.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Golden Rule

At first I thought that was a nice poem that you wrote. Then I realized that I had heard those words somewhere else:
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon Album: Us and Them

dex

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a balloon called planeta Earth will dump ballast and ballast that will goyim including American goyim, or do you think the American goyim genetically identical with your elite? oh wei not tell my slippers

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

As humans, we are advanced enough to modify the entire planet as we please. We know how rare life is in the universe and how rare a planet like ours is; our ignorance for it all is like a speeding car with it's brake lines cut. It's clear to see from nature that the meaning of life is to help others live and let more life thrive on. As humans we have the power to either plant more trees or destroy entire forests. Yet we destroy our home for our own useless needs for the distraction we call modern life. The forests we destroy and kill animals for will be used to make paper for useless legal documents. We are forced by meaningless government to live our lives in greed, forced to work jobs for a currency with imaginary value just for the right to live. As long as you have money you can destroy our home as much as you please. Imagine how much of a better place the world would be if the US never came to be and the native Americans lived on.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

yes we are to blame we are the numbnuts that keep buying the products they sell....we cant have enough of them ...these pics say it all

it is all well and good to blame the corporations but really it is up to us to let go of the need for more...if we stop buying they have no product to sell and the raping of the planet can go on hold

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Oh ya you all are screwed in the long run, barring some sort of miracle that is, but that is still along ways off still. And there have been some measures to safeguard or at least to implement in protecting habitats even human habitats, though the rest is get what you can now while you can and worry about the future latter.

In some countries more then other, in the US while there is some its still nowhere near as much as it is in china or India contrary to popular believe a lot of them and the people both now and in the ancient past were more or less capitalists. Ever see some of the pictures of kids in India bathing in the rivers? Or some Chinese cities, well if you can see them past the smog that is. So ya! recycling, and laws and regulation on corporations and people trudging over rainforests and habitats in the name of the almighty dollar does do something, and building technology that is eco friendly does also do something.

But in time you know its a zero sum game, and # dont take care of itself, but the guys quote "We are not part of our planet anymore, we have become aliens." Well to tell the truth, I would not put all your moneys in the pot that we are the only aliens to have killed ourselfs off on this planet to begin with, Poof! gone extinct, just like that.

And the rest, I think George Carlin said it best. The planet is likely to be here long before were gone, its not going anywhere, but in time and in eventuality we just may be going the way of the dodo, like pretty much 99.9% of all that came before us. You dont see them around anymore now do you. Zero sum game indeed.

edit on 2amTuesdayam162014f2amTue, 16 Dec 2014 02:35:28 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Look at how many people we are at this planet... Just face it, we do not have the odds with us on this one..? People refuse to die, And let others die, And people refuse to stop having sex... DOOMED...

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
What's with all this recycle crap? There is only a couple of things that really need to be protected worldwide and that is living creatures and the natural forests. Everything else ie:- metals, oil, gas and such are inert materials in the earth. So what if they dig all the tin out of the earth to make cans, it will only last so long. So what about mobile phones and what they are made of. ALL of these goods are made of inert material out of the earth and it does not hurt the earth one iota to remove them. OK it leaves a hole in the ground but the earth doesn't care only humans are bother "oh look at the scar on the landscape that mine makes". The only point anyone can make is the pollution caused by the manufacturing process. Now let me tell you they create just as much pollution recycling metals as manufacturing metal from raw ore. The only difference is the manufactures get their material (from recyclers) a hell of a lot cheaper than buying raw ore. And while I'm on the subject what's wrong with landfill? EVERYTHING and I mean everything comes from the earth, whether it's dug up or grows from the earth so what's wrong with putting it back? As for Ca. and for the world as a whole, too many people for the land!!! Give me a break. Ca. a couple of major cities and towns probably(I don't want to find out) a couple of hundred square miles. Look over you're shoulder there's quite a few THOUSANDS of square miles of deserts and unoccupied land. A s for the water shortage I've said it before and I'll say it again. You've got gazillions of gallons of the stuff on you're doorstep, it's called the PACIFIC OCEAN. Instead of spending trillions on you're next generation war plane buy a few desalination plants and water will never be a problem for you again.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I will have to agree with your stance on this particular topic. Your not always the funnest guy at the party Phage but some sound logic is needed every once in a while, while I may not agree with your opinions all the time I say this round goes to you.

There is no "them" with out us. But there is always an us without "them". Big "Evil" business are the monsters we create.

By the way your signature quote is awesome.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Big industry and politics exploited human needs for profit and now the planet's paying for it.

Needs? Or wants? Big industry and politics provided things that people want.

But go ahead, blame "them". If it makes you feel better. But it won't do much else.

Very true.

If people stop wanting, then big industry would go bye-bye.

What we need is to learn to live simple again, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
As a species we seem to have this "all or nothing" attitude until we, literally, cannot behave the same way anymore. We only change when we're FORCED to. I think it's because we're still young in an evolutionary sense - just beginning to open our eyes to what's actually going on here and "out there" in space in any meaningful sense.

We're still eating our boogers and suckin' our thumbs thinking we're in control lol.

Not a very nice time for anyone who happens to be alive - but eventually I think we'll turn towards the ideal automatically - like a farmer is a attracted to good soil.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

If people stop wanting, then big industry would go bye-bye.

What we need is to learn to live simple again, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

People will never stop wanting in this current economic system because we have invented this terrible thing called marketing that companies use to create needs which do not exist.

As long as we keep believing that our economy needs growth and encourage said growth, we are #ed. There is no pilot in the plane, the system is not a person capable of moral judgement so leave it all by itself and it will do the only thing it knows: consuming and growing.

The current system is a tumor and that tumor is sponsored by most western countries because they got rich thanks to it.

Our economical system should serve us, but the way it turned out thanks to a total lack of regulation, we are now serving that system. We spend our lives keeping it alive, endure sacrifices, make babies, buy gadgets to make sure the growth never stops, because we have been conditioned to believe that if the growth stops, the world ends.

It's a lie.
edit on 17-12-2014 by JUhrman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join