It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Supreme Court Says Unanimously Your Boss Can Make You Work For Free

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I have to deal with temps every day that for whatever reason cant hold a job.. it gets old and we become cold

You could pay for quality employees but then that would be non greedy and not be in line with the American belief system.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

It is sad the contempt many people seem to have for people doing good, honest work !
a reply to: [post=18762364]MountainLaurel[/post

Yeah for free.....

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

If the resources are available to them yeah. Not everyone has that opportunity.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Was she married? If so maybe her husband makes a decent wage. I know that I do without medical care so that my animals are taken care of. They are like children,if you are going to have them then you make sure their needs are taken care of.Even when you don't have the money. But since she was buying this cat, I think its safe to say that she either lives with someone that is footing the bills,or she is married and her husband makes a fair wage. Good for him,sucks to be her.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

Why does everyone complain all the time. So they are kept sometime for upto 25 mins to stand in a line up for a security search?

Yes its tedious, but they at least have a job. NOONE is forcing them to work at that particular place. If they are unskilled and have no other job opportunities at all then they should count themselves kind of lucky there is at least one place where they can work and earn some cash.

It's not perfect but its better than the alternative of being a unemployed loser.

People complain about everything now. We can't do anything in life without people moaning. No wonder the government has to micromanage our lives.

So, if you unskilled workers of Amazon are not happy with the job that has been given to you when you can not get any other job then that partly explains why you are in the position in life you are in. Its your attitude.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

originally posted by: Joneselius
so they take a job in desperate need of cash only to be told "you're going to work for free" .

hmmm.
i didnt know standing in a line and walking through a check was work.
news to me

we also had showers at work a lot of people used. you could shower after your shift but before you punched out.'
the company should pay for shower time according to you?

hahaha

When it is a 'requirement' of the job it is 'work' and hence needs to be compensated for otherwise it's 'wage theft' plain and simple. If there is an alternative they can take advantage of then they can choose they option that serves them best. (i.e. a craftman riding to work with a foreman who is paid for driving the truck to the job is not paid for that time driving however if he choses he can drive to the job on his own.)

The 'shower' was not a requirement of the job - it was actually a free benefit provided by the company for those employees who wanted to take advantage of it.

Big difference.

edit on 13-12-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectbane

Why does everyone complain all the time. So they are kept sometime for upto 25 mins to stand in a line up for a security search?

Yes its tedious, but they at least have a job. NOONE is forcing them to work at that particular place. If they are unskilled and have no other job opportunities at all then they should count themselves kind of lucky there is at least one place where they can work and earn some cash.

It's not perfect but its better than the alternative of being a unemployed loser.

People complain about everything now. We can't do anything in life without people moaning. No wonder the government has to micromanage our lives.

So, if you unskilled workers of Amazon are not happy with the job that has been given to you when you can not get any other job then that partly explains why you are in the position in life you are in. Its your attitude.

...in other words - if they were not 'employed', they could not be searched...presumably (and the inference is that) they were not 'employed' to be searched - the condition which takes place in/on the premises in which the employee is 'employed'...I would have thought that Not paying an employee for a search could somehow be construed as detainment (since the 'employee' is not being paid to be searched)...

It really is the responsibility of the employer to front up to thier own security issues...

Å99

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MountainLaurel
a reply to: FyreByrd

I couldn't agree with you more ! If you absolutely must go to the Big Box stores choose Costco or others like them that treat and pay their employees well !

I agree however it still sucks money out of the local economy as do 'franchises'. Worth keeping in mind. As much as you can use small local retailers and services.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Not the issue of the suit. Whether or not employees agreed to it.

At issue was whether or not it was 'wage theft' under the law. A company cannot break a law just because you agreed to it.

Wait - I guess now they can.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lil Drummerboy

Well I guess if it bothers them that much..
find another job..unless of course they are of the uneducated
group and have no skills.. then bummer for them

You are completely missing the point. It is not that it "bothers" them as much as it is akin to slave labor, in that you are not being paid, and are being forced to be there if you wish to keep your job. Most people would agree that when your boss requires you to do something you will be paid for that time. The big deal is not that this puts the guys out, rather it is about the fact that this just seems wrong. If your employers require you to be there, otherwise you lose your job, they should reimburse you for that time, considering that it IS JOB RELATED. And this is AFTER work, when these people are ready to leave. They are not allowed to leave and keep their jobs, which in my opinion is much worse than having to show up early for work, although that is not much better...At least if you're not getting paid. And whether this is an unskilled or skilled job has absolutely no bearing on the case. Most of the time I would agree that if someone doesn't like their job they should quit. I would tell this to every rude person I've ever had to deal with when they are serving me as a customer in some fashion if I could...but this case is not about them not liking their job. It is the fact that they are required to be at work and are not getting paid for that time.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Have you any idea how many fair practice labor laws have gone by the way side because of apathetic attitudes such as yours. What is it with this idea that laborers some how owe there employers there due diligence simply for the right to work. The fracking employers are already making bank off there employees hard spent labor. What efin more do they think they deserve!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I wonder if THIS had anything to do with their decision. Hmmm...

There sure are some interesting names on that list. Gotta love the timing too.

edit on 13-12-2014 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash

My stance is that anyone who shows up somewhere everyday to labor for a collective value should accrue collective ownership. This idea of renting people by the hour still seems like just another form of peasantry to me. At least slaves can expect to be clothed, fed and sheltered by their masters. Our modern workers have no such guarantees.

and remember, these are not Amazon employees, they come from temporary staffing firms. Amazon outsources all responsiblity for these people to these firms (lowest bid wins).

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

what if the standing in line took 2 hours?....would that also be fine with everyone?....I mean after all, that would be only 10 hours a week, and you would have a job

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

I have to deal with temps every day that for whatever reason cant hold a job.. it gets old and we become cold

You could pay for quality employees but then that would be non greedy and not be in line with the American belief system.

And there are other ways of controlling inventory erosion. Amazon is already charging it's 'vendors' for breakage and loss on the other side of the equation as a cost of doing business with them.

Amazon, Walmart and other big box companies steal from all parts of the supply line.

It's a dehumizing business model that is destroying the world.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

what if the standing in line took 2 hours?....would that also be fine with everyone?....I mean after all, that would be only 10 hours a week, and you would have a job

...how about cavity searches?...you never know with these filthy, good-for-nothing scumbags...And they would still have a job

Å99
edit on 13-12-2014 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Your source is the quite biased BlueNationReview. You have also taken the claim that employees had to wait "as much as 25 minutes" as the norm when if it's true at all, is an extreme. There is, of course, another side to the issue. Amazon disputes the clain that anyone has to wait that long>

Kelly Cheeseman, a spokeswoman for Seattle-based Amazon, said the allegations of long warehouse security lines were false.

“Data shows that employees typically walk through security with little or no wait, and Amazon has a global process that ensures the time employees spend waiting in security is less than 90 seconds,” she said in an e-mail.
From Bloomberg, a source that at least shows both sides of the dispute.

Now you can claim, as I'm sure you will, that Amazon is biased itself. I do not deny the possibility. All I'm saying is that when you react to a left wing news report and parrot what they said with outrage, you're not contributing to any sort of understanding of what happened. It is also quite telling that the Supreme Court, with both its left-wing judges and its right-wing judges, voted unanimously on this issue.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
I wonder if THIS had anything to do with their decision. Hmmm...

There sure are some interesting names on that list. Gotta love the timing too.

NO idea - BUT AWESOME RESOURCE.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

“Data shows that employees typically walk through security with little or no wait, and Amazon has a global process that ensures the time employees spend waiting in security is less than 90 seconds,” she said in an e-mail.

NAW - that Bloomberg has always been, is and will always biased towards big business interests. Hardly a neutral party as you claim.

Yes - the judgement was unanimous. There were deciding the 'letter of the law' (as an earlier poster noted - I believe the 'portal to portal' law of 1947 and the left leaning judges aren't activist or ideological justices so they ruled based on precedence.

That said, the law has never been abused in such a fashion. It's the difference between the 'letter' and the 'spirit' of law. We live in a 'letter' world. The literalist rule in all areas of life.

It is still an 'abuse of power' with the Supreme Court just by hearing the case has given legitmacy.

I hope what's left of organized labor takes this up and works towards changing the law to bring it into the modern age.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Your source is the quite biased BlueNationReview. You have also taken the claim that employees had to wait "as much as 25 minutes" as the norm when if it's true at all, is an extreme. There is, of course, another side to the issue. Amazon disputes the clain that anyone has to wait that long>

Kelly Cheeseman, a spokeswoman for Seattle-based Amazon, said the allegations of long warehouse security lines were false.

Now you can claim, as I'm sure you will, that Amazon is biased itself. I do not deny the possibility. All I'm saying is that when you react to a left wing news report and parrot what they said with outrage, you're not contributing to any sort of understanding of what happened. It is also quite telling that the Supreme Court, with both its left-wing judges and its right-wing judges, voted unanimously on this issue.

...then amazon should have no problem with employees arriving 90 (odd) seconds late every day? 88,400 employees at 90 seconds (paid) for a year...do the math...

Å99
edit on 13-12-2014 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join