It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explain to me the Lets Play movement.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
So I don't need South Park to give me most of my material but it just seems like Me Matt and Trey think a like. A couple weeks ago South park kind of made fun of the whole lets play thing. And asking questions that I was asking my cousin a year ago about it. because he is or was into the Let play thing.

Obviously the main question why do you want to watch someone else play a game that your interested in playing?

Does it not take away an impactful experience if you already see what's going to happen down the line in the game?

I think I get it somewhat that maybe Lets play is the new age strategy guide.

And okay what's also with the huge followers for some of these personalities on you tube. I mean I don't how funny how entertaining you are there is only so long before your watching it where your like "I want to play!"

So will the new generation tell me what's up with Lets play and why it's so captivating.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Simple to explain: Spectated sports, football, tennis, golf, and many more, it's the same concept.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I'm still on Pac Man and Tetris.
I challenge anyone to a game of Robotron. I will see you at the kill screen.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
Obviously the main question why do you want to watch someone else play a game that your interested in playing?

It's a trendy social networking form of advertisement, but not in the typical sense.

People gain subscribers over time on youtube, then they record themselves playing said game so that everyone can watch them make witty comments and see their facial expressions in the corner of the screen in that little face box they usually have.

It's a way to champion what you like to do, your particular taste, by making an exhibition of your gaming. If you like said game and want others to play it also, you'd make said video so that they'll hear you talking the game up and having fun while playing it.

Since they like the personal youtube channel of the person, they probably like them also. They look up to and are influenced by the people they subscribe to. Thus, more players are gained for said game while the person who made the 'let's play' video also gains personal recognition and popularity among their 'cyber-community' of like-minded people and subscribers.

Does that help? Some really popular youtubers can get free copies of alpha or beta versions of games, or final versions of pay-games by bringing exposure to the game (and of course, asking the game's publisher to hook you up for the advertisement with a copy of the game to use during the advertisement).

It's a win-win example of modern day attention whorism used to inevitably make sales in exchange for, mainly, attention.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor
It's a win-win example of modern day attention whorism used to inevitably make sales in exchange for, mainly, attention.

The question is about the people watching. WHY are they watching rather than playing.

Time? Skill? Desire to feel like they are "doing something" with "someone else"?

There isn't much mystery about why people want to be the center of attention. The magic is figuring out why people want to give attention.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrenchRun

originally posted by: r0xor

The question is about the people watching. WHY are they watching rather than playing.

Time? Skill? Desire to feel like they are "doing something" with "someone else"?

There isn't much mystery about why people want to be the center of attention. The magic is figuring out why people want to give attention.

Very good point. The answer to that question, I do not know.

If I based it off of my own reasons, if I had to think about any time I've ever watched a video of someone playing a game, it was for a few particular reasons.

a) i really wanted to get the game but didn't want to pay for it unless i could see the actual gameplay
b) i was curious about the game but not quite to the point of a)
c) (maybe once or twice) it was a very cute female within my general age-span that i enjoyed listening to.

In this case, the only instance applicable outside of sheer intent to learn about the game being recorded is c). But that was just one hit or two that I inevitably gave someone as opposed to several if I was really trying to check out said game.

What this all means, I don't know. Maybe you could call it a truly random and almost pointless observation of human nature. Maybe it's a micro version of the personality cult phenomena on youtube.
edit on 12/13/2014 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
1. Demo purposes: see product being used to see if wants to buy, perhaps lets play person is similar to self so you can trust them
2. Narrative purposes: get entertained by story of game
3. Humor purposes: watch funny person play terrible games whilst not having to pay for them
4. Learning and exploring: watch person play a game in a unique way so you can learn new skills or ideas about a game

There are lots of really obvious reasons I think?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I've never understood how anyone cam watch a whole game played though I would watch my dad play Doom for hours. I only use Let's Play videos to see if a game is worth the money, and usually don't watch for more than five minutes.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Well, depends on the game, the person, etc.

I watch people play on twitch, I also occasionally do a game myself (live).

As far as watching someone play a game, well, the person in question is key. if they are someone you find a certain kinship with, then yeah, you want to watch them as the comment and react on the experience. You will find most viewers are from fellow gamers whom already played the game, and want to see how their "friend" reacts to the experience.

Good example...
There is a streamer who did a 24 hour stream. She did the walking dead and TWD2.

SPOILER AHEAD!:
Anyhow, so it was around 5am for her as she started the second game. She was semi delirious from the long time already spent and is generally speaking a highly emotional person to begin with. There was a part where initially you find a dog, and she was so happy (animal lover) and given how the previous game ended, and the previous scene ended, it was finally an emotional relief and let her be happy
Well, she ended up having to off it, and she was genuinely crying and fully upset..for a good 20 minutes, she was just a wreck, tissues and all sorts. Her reaction was very genuine and actually encouraged me to remember how I felt during that same experience.

ok,
SPOILER OVER

So that's it.

Doctor picks up companions (Doctor Who) because he wants to re-experience what he has already experienced through their eyes. He wants to inject interest back into what he ultimately has grown used to and frankly a bit bored of. Same concept

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Its purely an internet phenomenon, I dont think many people are sitting in real life in a real room behind somebody and just watching them play for hours on end, I have watched some people play games online. Though it was games I did not have and just wanted to check up on, some are basically chat rooms, were everybody says the first thing that comes to there head or comment on things while somebody is playing a game. So its just another form of entertainment.

Also some do not have the time to play some of these games, but there still interested so they basically watched condensed videos of the game by whoever is playing. And considering that some of these games could take you over 100 hours to go through, its just something people do to save time and money.

Also other videogames are practically like movies, cut scenes and all, I remember I beat one of the Uncharted games. And then one day I just ended up watching somebody play the whole game, or not the whole game I mostly skipped around, but it was basically like watching a movie. And considering that the game is more story driven and cutscene driven, ya! It would be basically like getting out the pop tarts and watching something on the TV, in all it just depends on the game and the audience.

Personally its just something to kill the time when you have it. But in all I dont see an other point to it, in fact I dont even watch sports, I could play some sports and it could be fun, but when it comes to watching it or rooting for one team or another, its not really my thing. The only sports I ever did watch was combat sports, but team sports like basketball or football, I was never one of those guys who could get into it. It's probably like that for this whole lets play movement, like I said some of them are practically chat rooms. And well others just like watching others I think.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I's almost like a reality show, a bunch of people playing a game, youre getting a peek into someone else's life

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
If your not interested in lets play vids why are u asking about others opinions? Do you like gaming? What else do you know about the South Park Creators that make you think you 3 think alike?

Let me ask. why do people "like" millions of times vids of people getting hurt or other nonsense likes animals doing random things?

whystheskyblue

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I can tell you that I watch Lets Play videos in other languages for both the purpose of language immersion that is fun and engaging and also to experience many fun-looking videogames that I refuse to pay outrageous amounts of money for. The last console system I bought was a gamecube because of over the top pricing. That said, I don't think I would just watch the game(in english.) for the aforementioned reason if it weren't for my interest in language learning and thereby actually being productive while I watch them.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: NotMoose
wait most of those sports are live right is what there doing live?? and isn't most of the viewership watching stuff that is prerecorded right??

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I do Let's Plays simply because I have friends and family members that get a laugh out of watching me play a scary game.

It's also a way for me to share something with them since many of them are not near me and we don't get to socialize much.

If it gives them a grin or a chuckle in an otherwise miserable day they are having, then I'm glad I went through the effort of recording, editing an uploading it.

As for others, for some that are the "Big Names" of Let's Players (people like Markiplier, PewDiePie), it's how they make their living, at literally millions of subscribers.

As for why people watch, you've had several answers here that fit. For many it's just entertaining to watch someone, especially if they are humorous in their videos.

It's no different really that people who watch someone play golf, or watching a reality series.

Some viewers that watch don't even play games on their computers. They find someone that they think is funny, or just like to watch them play, and so they watch.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

"lets play" is nothing more then simple key words that people use that are easy way to get a lot of views on their video...

IF one searches "lets play" in Youtube you'll find millions of videos on every game imaginable

Its usually a good way to get a tip on a tough spot in a game, or a players guide to how said person handled the game you're looking for...

they're great for Minecraft Mods too!

edit on 15-12-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

okay I am not saying her reaction was not genuine to the walking dead game. But how can you tube sure her reaction is genuine if she has a camera that is recording her? and if she wants to get a reaction viewers. Even if it is natural to cry during that moment how can you not think that she over exaggerated at times??

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

So what your saying is that some people are interested in a game that might be to long for them and watch a shortened version of the game and have a satisfied gaming experience? For me as a gamer that would frustrate me to watch someone else play a game that I don't have time to play. That might be a great game.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Always going to be spectators.

Steam has built in broadcasting, I have people randomly jump in to watch me play but, I am usually playing at my own pace on something like Total War so they get bored and leave after a bit, had one stay for an hour tho, ROMA INVICTA

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

I am interested in Lets play because it is fast growing movement and I am wanting to know what the appeal is to some gamers. And like I said I have seen my cousin watching playthrough's and didn't get it.

But I am starting to get a better idea of why people are into it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join