It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Red Light flashing near ISS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Google news link.

Mysterious Red Light flashing near ISS

Article Link.

UFO sightings: Mysterious red light near International Space Station sparks rumours of extra terrestrial activities

The YouTube video was recorded from the live feeds from the ISS which shows a mysterious red dot flashing in outer space. It appears like a laser beam shot towards earth, Open Minds UFO Investigation reported.

Personaly do not believe in alien visitations however found this interesting. Could not find any posts relating to it. To me it looks like something being launched from Earth but who knows.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Dabrazzo

A stage hand probably just accidentally dropped a red ball into the swimming pool

Just kidding, interesting video.

-MM
edit on 13-12-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Looks like a laser from earth, perhaps hitting some space junk and causing a reflection.

edit on 13-12-2014 by cleverhans because: video embed

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

According to OPALS mission manager Matthew Abrahamson, the light was generated from a new laser communications system.

"Four lasers from the ground station travel through the sky toward the space station. Under clear, dark background conditions, it's very easy for the payload to acquire the ground beacon. Daylight conditions have proven more challenging, but we are working on increasing capabilities during the day as well, through software enhancements," Abrahamson told Discovery News about the appearance of the mysterious red spot near the ISS.

End of story for me here.

I'm not to say that ISS haven't got its share of strange things videotaped near it...as did the STS missions. But this here looks pretty clear to me.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
NVM
edit on 13-12-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
well it looks cool anyway. like the bat-signal.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Wait so we actualy have lasers capable of beaming crazy bat signals into space???

Pretty awesome to be fair.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Lol, So where do i buy these lasers on Ebay?

You know, so i can blind planes with an effeciency better than the common green laser. What ever that is. It is several times more powerful than any laser i'v seen, Heard, or read about.

Either this is an experiment,With the probability of causing problems with air traffic control aswell as planes. Or this is something else?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Well, there's really no secret to OPALS...

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
You know if it was us and this wasn't an experiment.

I'd expect advertising companies or better yet. People with lots of money and time to kill would turn the whole planet into a strobe like with this kind of technology.

Is there any report of any high powered lasers being tested?

And if so? Can we make it look like Earth is having a rave? With multipul lights like this.
We could easily make Earth look like we party hard. For all passerbyers to see.

We can call ourselves the Rave planet. Or rather, speaking on the bahalf of 2014-2015. The streams of red lights could reprisent the police world we live in. Our planet would be in hot presuit of mars. Woop Wooop PULL OVER MARS THIS IS THE EARTH LAW FORCE YOU ARE ORBITING DRUNK.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Jelonek

Says the laser physically comes from the ISS. However.

In the case of this video. The laser is quite a distance away.

So scratch that idea.

The Optical PAyload for Lasercomm Science tests the potential for using a laser to transmit data to Earth from space. Instead of being broadcast on radio waves, data is packaged onto beams of laser light and hardware on the International Space Station will point the laser to a receiver station on the ground. Radio waves transmission is limited by the speed that it can transfer data, but beaming information packages with lasers can greatly increase the amount of information transmitted over the same period of time.

edit on 13-12-2014 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Occam's Razor says swamp gas.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

It also says:

The Optical Payload for Lasercomm Science (OPALS), which is part of the JPL Phaeton early career employee hands-on training program, aims to demonstrate optical communications technology. This is accomplished by transferring a video from hardware onboard the ISS to our ground receiver at JPL’s Optical Communications Telescope Laboratory (OCTL) in Wrightwood, California. To aid the ISS investigation in accurately pointing the downlink laser to the ground telescope, a laser beacon is transmitted from the OCTL to the ISS investigation, which is tracked by the investigation as the ISS travels across the sky.
www.nasa.gov...

Idea unscratched.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Okay, I admit it. I'm an disinfo agent planted by NASA to derail the thread. I get paid 3 (three) dollars for every succesful coverup. Cheap, I know - but budget cuts get to everyone these days

On a serious note: Yes, it's OPALS. Yes, it looks like that. No, it isn't an alien craft this time. Sorry, not everything that happens in space is alien-related.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Why would the beam of the laser be visible in space?
Not to mention that OPALS used a 1550 nm (infrared) laser with a continuous beam.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Abrahamson told Discovery News about the appearance of the mysterious red spot near the ISS.

Here is the article in Discovery News. Where does Abrahamson say that the red spot has anything to do with OPALS?
news.discovery.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Why would the beam of the laser be visible in space?
AFAIK, it shouldn't be but I realize that I don't know everything.

Not to mention that OPALS used a 1550 nm (infrared) laser with a continuous beam.
Too far into IR for the image sensor to pick up?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Abrahamson told Discovery News about the appearance of the mysterious red spot near the ISS.

Here is the article in Discovery News. Where does Abrahamson say that the red spot has anything to do with OPALS?
news.discovery.com...

That story is from long before this allegedly occurred on Dec 5.

Is this guy making up stuff in this article? newsmaine.net...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Too far into IR for the image sensor to pick up?
I would say yes.

Is this guy making up stuff in this article?
Since he's providing the same Abrahamson quote that was in the Discovery article, yes. I would say he's just repeating what he read in other "articles" about the video, including the story of the Statue of Liberty "UFO". The same story that was in the ibtimes story about the ISS. The same story that claimed that Abrahamson said the light was a laser from the experiment.

edit on 12/14/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The uploader edited the vid to add the laser effect?

ETA: I see it's Streetcap's vid, so yes it very well might be faked.
edit on 14-12-2014 by DenyObfuscation because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2014 by DenyObfuscation because: clarification

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join