It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Snake In the Light!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I wanted to share something I learned long ago.

One night I was putting my then two year old son to bed. As I carried him to his room and he kept repeating Mommy nake in light. He didn't talk to clearly being so young but by the time I reached his bed I had understood he was saying Mommy snake in the light. I laughed and told him, "honey there is no snake in the light now go to sleep".

I tucked him in and kissed him and went to the light switch by the door looked back at him before turning off the light, but then I saw his eyes, they were wide and full of fear and staring past me into the lighted hall, so I followed his gaze and sure enough there was a snake in the light! It was going round and round really fast getting burned I imagine by the light. It was an enclosed globe so it must have come through the ceiling from the attic somehow.

From this moment on, I learned to never, ever call something "silly" or tune out what is said by someone just because it seems impossible from my point of view. I certainly learned a wonderful lesson with the kids because I never again dismissed anything they said off hand.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Try having a moccasin crawl up the pot while you're having a squat. I wish I'd had a wing man on that one.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

That is one sharp and perceptive child you have there.
The way you described him looking scared sort of proves we are hard wired to be wary of snakes,because at the age of two,he wouldn't have formulated an opinion of snakes through experience.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

The way you described him looking scared sort of proves we are hard wired to be wary of snakes,because at the age of two,he wouldn't have formulated an opinion of snakes through experience.

Well actually he might have, at the time we were buried in snakes. Under one of the camp buildings near the house (on a ranch) there was a nest of 300 + rattlers removed. Our yard was very cool and shady so I had to be very vigilant with the kids and warning them often about snakes. german shepherd saved us many incidences.
I taught my kids to read by the ages of 3 each so they were really bright. My son had memorized his beloved dinosaur book and said the words as I read the lines with my finger under each word at 2.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Try having a moccasin crawl up the pot while you're having a squat. I wish I'd had a wing man on that one.

Lol think I will skip that! We rough camp where there are no snakes!

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Being that near to the source of illumination would be painful for any creature let alone a poor defenseless snake. ;p

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Well actually he might have, at the time we were buried in snakes. Under one of the camp buildings near the house (on a ranch) there was a nest of 300 + rattlers removed. Our yard was very cool and shady so I had to be very vigilant with the kids and warning them often about snakes. german shepherd saved us many incidences.
I taught my kids to read by the ages of 3 each so they were really bright. My son had memorized his beloved dinosaur book and said the words as I read the lines with my finger under each word at 2.

Wow,I stand corrected!
What an experience with the snake nest!

I love German Shepherds BTW,the best dogs who will protect and love you in equal gigantic amounts.
I have had many dogs,but GSDs are the most intelligent and loyal four legged friends anyone can hope to have.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash

Being that near to the source of illumination would be painful for any creature let alone a poor defenseless snake. ;p

very true I am glad we was able to get him out before he died there! he was a harmless racer.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Wow,I stand corrected!

I love German Shepherds BTW,the best dogs who will protect and love you in equal gigantic amounts.
I have had many dogs,but GSDs are the most intelligent and loyal four legged friends anyone can hope to have.

Our lovely girl shepard found that large den of snakes, she caught one and pulled it apart, inside was a string of eggs. if not for her the harvest would have started and the whole camp been full of families with the snakes still there.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

From this moment on, I learned to never, ever call something "silly" or tune out what is said by someone just because it seems impossible from my point of view. I certainly learned a wonderful lesson with the kids because I never again dismissed anything they said off hand.

Quite a statement and all so true, I agree 100% and I hope others here do the same. Give people the benefit of at listening to their story before you pass judgement on the first sentence out of their mouth.

I enjoyed the post and just to add snakes don't bother me but rats do:-)
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iwinder

Quite a statement and all so true, I agree 100% and I hope others here do the same. Give people the benefit of at listening to their story before you pass judgement on the first sentence out of their mouth.

I enjoyed the post and just to add snakes don't bother me but rats do:-)
Regards, Iwinder

:-) I felt bad even for the den of rattlers, they had found themselves a wonderful place under that building as it was stilling a foot off the ground and on rocks. I had to kill one, just one time because my neighbor called me and her little girl had run into it in their yard, it was really big and I couldn't figure anyway to move it so I killed it with a shovel.

I don't mind snakes and rats only if they try to move in!!

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

Try having a hamster attempting to climb up your leg under those circumstances hoping for a nut

edit on 13-12-2014 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Wow,I stand corrected!

Yes, German Shepherds are wonderful.

As for the snakes, I would have been out of there -- with my dog.

top topics

join