It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London airspace closed due to IT failure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Air flights over the london area has been closed out due to computer technical issue.
wonder if its been victim to outside attack to the network.

BBC NEWS

Is there anything sensitive going on in the capitol today. Cant help in thinking of the last 24 season tbh.
edit on 12-12-2014 by kountzero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Both Gatwick, and Heathrow are on the outskirts of London, so I dont think it would effect the airports, maybe just the routes they travel. Wierd that they would prohibit the airspace because of a computer glitch, SAM sites offfline. LOL

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Glassbender777

Every airport in London, except London City airport (which is so small we don't even need to talk about) is on the outskirts. So what do you mean they won't be affected?

edit on 12-12-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrose
The exact effect, according to the BBC story, is that Heathrow planes are experiencing delays (because of having to go round?) and Gatwick departing planes are grounded.
Stansted is not yet sure whether its own flights will be affected.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Flights are landing at Heathrow, but all departures are grounded!

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

747 from Heathrow to JFK just departed, but there has been a pause ...
update:
777 to Shanghai took off, but looking at the map... well, the runway must be busy as hell

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Necrose

Every airport in London, except London City airport (which is so small we don't even need to talk about) is on the outskirts. So what do you mean they won't be affected?
[/quote

I was just making an observation that since airports are on the outskirts then air traffic should be allowed to land, instead of being diverted, if the airports were located in london, then maybe it would be a bit more of a problem, IDK, Just looking at the story. I think your disecting my post a bit to much, lol no conspiracy there

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
yup, seems like all is going back to normal

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Sky news are saying the fault was with a "failure of the flight planning server."

Server?
Like a network server?

Potential hack maybe?

They say their systems are totally secure,but then so do banks,hospitals,power stations-and many of them have been hacked.
No system is 100% secure,especially once you add humans to the system,who can be bribed/threatened into giving up passwords/encryption keys etc.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
Sky news are saying the fault was with a "failure of the flight planning server."

Server?
Like a network server?

Potential hack maybe?

They say their systems are totally secure,but then so do banks,hospitals,power stations-and many of them have been hacked.
No system is 100% secure,especially once you add humans to the system,who can be bribed/threatened into giving up passwords/encryption keys etc.

DDoS attack activity has been pretty high today in the UK, Germany and the Netherlands... Could be that?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: kountzero

When I saw the Headlines, my first thought was 'Terror' related incident but they are playing it down.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

I tried to reply to your Post Rodinus,but ATS got hit with a damned DDos right as we were talking about it...
Weird or what?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Yep. Now there's a coincidence, watching channel4 news last night even my wife said it makes you wonder what is really going on at the moment

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I read this yesterday on the Metro site: metro.co.uk... and their story was quite different. Which makes me wonder even more now that I have read this thread.

Heathrow airport have said the failure was due to a power outage, resulting in the entire capital city being affected.

"Flights are currently experiencing delays due to a power outage at NATS control centre affecting UK airspace. Further updates to follow.

— Heathrow Airport (@HeathrowAirport) December 12, 2014"

Something's rotten in Den... I mean London!

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
the busiest airport in the world and they don't have a back-up system????.......

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I tried to reply to your Post Rodinus,but ATS got hit with a damned DDos right as we were talking about it...
Weird or what?

Definately a coincidence

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
the busiest airport in the world and they don't have a back-up system????.......

That was my immediate thought as well and what started me thinking that something was a little fishy with that excuse.
Also, here is a pic posted at 9:52a on 12/12/14, so what's powering all the lights and why isn't it powering the computer system?

Here's another picture from the site claiming computer malfunction

Caption: Aircraft taxi at Heathrow airport during the height of the disruption (Picture
eter Nicholls/Reuters)

metro.co.uk...

edit on 13-12-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus

Weird or what?

Definately a coincidence

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Good old internet synchonicity!
Or Am I a solipsist?

All good either way I suppose.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Weird or what?

Same thoughts..
interesting timing

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Those incidents today in 'Sydney' Aus and 'Ghent' Belgium' are confirming to me that thing in London the other day was not a System failure but more of a 'Terror' threat... probably 'bomb' threat and that's why it was closed down.

new topics

top topics

join