It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Cop Caught a Grandma Stealing Eggs... So He Bought Them for Her!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

“What I did, hundreds of thousands of officers everyday across the United States do the same exact thing. They even do more than what I did. I don’t understand why this video went viral the way it has,” Stacy said ...

A Cop Caught a Grandma Stealing Eggs... So He Bought Them for Her!

He didn't taze her.

He didn't shoot her with a bean bag.

He didn't put her in a choke hold and throw her to the ground.

There will be no riots.

There will be no grand jury investigation.

There will be no highly publicized acquittal.

This is old-style community policing, the kind we used to see on The Andy Griffith Show.

I figure as many people need to hear about this a possible, remind us that there are still some decent folk out there, even behind the badge.

Here's another take on it from AOL.
edit on 2014 12 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

thats super awesome he did that

edit
eh, not cool
edit on 12-12-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

hundreds of thousands of officers everyday across the United States do the same exact thing.

Talk about bullsh*t...

Where did he get that information from?

From his arse, that's where.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Black people are being killed by cops at a rate almost on par with the lynchings of the 20th century.

But this guy bought some eggs, so...

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Yeah, well...

I've personally witnessed way more random acts of kindness by LEOs than wanton violence, but YMMV. That sort of stuff tends to not make the news or cause rioting or have 'spokesmen' flying in from hither and yon. Or Presidential commentary.

And rightly so. I'm just saying those sorts of things happen way more than you'd think if you focus on the news reports only.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I've seen plenty acts of kindness by police officers,
not all cops are bad cops.

s&f

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
While it is a commendable act, I would have preferred the officer ascertaining why she had to steal food (financial? mental?), then get her the assistance she so obviously needs from some social agency.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

That's exactly what he did.

This officer engaged the woman, talked with her, found out why she was doing what she was doing. She was a grandmother raising her grandchildren on limited income and they were hungry. She needed food for them and didn't have enough money to buy it, so she was desparate.

From the AOL article

Stacy said he can remember times growing up when his mother had trouble finding ways to feed him and his sister. He had been on a call to Johnson's house once before, and had gotten a glimpse of the living conditions. The furnishings are sparse, and the family sleeps on mattresses on the floor.

"The story she told me Saturday matched up with what I had seen when I was there,'' he said. "I felt like it was the right thing to do. I didn't want to pass judgment on her."

He ascertained that information, then acted to do something about it.

Asking a few questions then turning the situation over to some government agency or NPO is, often, the easy, cowardly way out. IMO, that's part of the problem with our society. Nobody wants to "get involved." Too messy. Too much trouble. Just let the gummint handle it, and I can go back to the house and spend the evening watching TV, keep my money for myself.

He did exactly what you say he should have done.

I don't get you.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

hundreds of thousands of officers everyday across the United States do the same exact thing.

Talk about bullsh*t...

Where did he get that information from?

From his arse, that's where.

And where did you get YOUR info from? With 3/4 of a million LEO's in the US that number is probably on the low side.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Oops, I guess I should have read the article, but it is easy to see how I misunderstood from the brevity of the first post. However, the officer first decided it was OK to pay for her food and let her leave with a promise to never shoplift again. I consider that bad judgement and I also think that when he mentioned what happened back at the station, it would not surprise me if others thought so too, because days later they decided that she needed social assistance.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: AgentShillington

You bitter, cynical, victimhood-embracing people just make me ... sad. Very, very sad.

First, CharlieSpeirs, the comment about "hundreds of thousands of offices" is, obviously, hyperbole. For your elucidation, here's an explanation of hyperbole.

Second, AgentShillington, nobody denied that people are regularly unjustly hurt and killed by law enforcement officers.

Why do you specifically point out black people? Try an internet search on white people killed by police officers. It happens. All lives matter! Only a racist would make this a matter of race.

This guy buying some eggs is not the point. You, in your bitter myopia, can't even see the forest for the tree you have fixated on.

The point is that this is policing done right. It still happens. This is an officer who knows his community, who cares about the people that he has been appointed to protect and serve. This is the answer to the senseless killings that you decry.

But, like victims everywhere, you would rather sit on your butt and curse the darkness than do anything to actually light a candle.

People like you are part of the problem.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I'm aware it's hyperbole, to the extreme...

Which to me makes it sound like he is falsely attributing acts of kindness to thousands in a PR stunt.

And that makes me sad.

I don't just swallow what the police feed to us, I never will either.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Sorry if I don't openly weep at some sanitized, glamorized and plotted news story that is so clearly made in reaction to stories about police brutality that it is hard not to puke in my mouth as I have to explain it to you.

This is garbage.

Why should I be excited and congratulatory that a cop DID HIS JOB? Isn't that setting the bar pretty damn low? What is the news story here other than to take AWAY from the real horror that is being committed against minorities in this country at the hands of those sworn to protect and serve?

People like me aren't the problem. People that undermine and misrepresent police brutality and homicide toward minorities as something OTHER than institutional racism is the problem.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

How nice to hear, like I said there have to be good people who are still in the business!

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington

Sorry if I don't openly weep at some sanitized, glamorized and plotted news story that is so clearly made in reaction to stories about police brutality that it is hard not to puke in my mouth as I have to explain it to you.

This is garbage.

Why should I be excited and congratulatory that a cop DID HIS JOB? Isn't that setting the bar pretty damn low? What is the news story here other than to take AWAY from the real horror that is being committed against minorities in this country at the hands of those sworn to protect and serve?

People like me aren't the problem. People that undermine and misrepresent police brutality and homicide toward minorities as something OTHER than institutional racism is the problem.

Actually a cop doing his job would have arrested her.
But that would have been considered racist

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

Are you saying that because he's a LEO he's automatically guilty of institutional racism? That this wasn't an act of kindness?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I will not try to guess the acuracy of the statement about it happening all the time..maybee in smaller towns it does..when officers are your neigboors I would think a better sense of community. I heard this the other day and in fact I have heard more positive stories than usual as of late..are individual officers taking it into their own hands to repair the relationship between the public and the police.? Perhaps its true that good news is way under reported.
Im all over the bad incidents..maybee to a fault but Im not raining on this parade
Yo Shillboy, do you think the cop did this for a photo op..if so ..I dunno he did it as a human being.
Some people are just miserable c$nts and can see no good.
edit on 12-12-2014 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

This is garbage.

Actually if he had brought in Granny for stealing eggs his supervisor would have asked what was wrong with his head.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

This is garbage.

Actually if he had brought in Granny for stealing eggs his supervisor would have asked what was wrong with his head.

I am not to sure about that because they could have found her social assistance that day, and not two days later. Just what were they to eat for the foreseeable future?
edit on 12-12-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

It is not up to the officer to press charges for shoplifting, it is up to store management.

They are free to decline charges.

That was also stated in the article.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join