It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

21 Year Old Sues Parents for College Tuition - and Wins!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
there must be more to this story...the parents have in my opinion done a pretty crap of raising their little girl....if she can have that attitude and feel free to sue her own parents no less my guess would be she had a crappy upbringing and is somewhat resentful.....

suing her parents is a low act....but where did she get this attitude from...school ? tv ? her parents ?

i do not agree with her stance on this but i do believe parenting is a life long job.....just because she is 21 is no reason to let her loose into the big bad world and say job done you are on your own....this is part of the problem with todays society...we have selfish parents breeding selfish kids.....

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

IF... And that's a MAJOR IF, I ever paid for this girl's tuition as her parent, it would be in pennies. I would likely end up in jail for not paying, however.

This child badly needs a good wake up call! I worked full time 9-5 Monday-Friday and went to school from 6-10 on week days! I had to pay for my education myself (with minimal help from my broke parents when they could afford it) until I was able to get a scholarship due to good grades.

The sense of entitlement really irks me! I'd slap the crap out of this girl if I was her mother. Sheesh!

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

This baffles me. I'd like to get a copy of the court transcripts
and depositions, I sense there's more to the story that's
not being reported for sensationalism.

For example, if the parents are keeping a trust fund
for their daughter (such as money she inherited) then
yes, she can sue them for not allowing her access to
college tuition.

If there really isn't any more to the story, this not only puzzles me,
but its dangerous because the courts can set a precedent that
would open the doors to other lawsuits.

In fact, Court precedents have a lot to do with the law
(According to my attorney)

I think the parents should appeal so the lower
court precedent is over turned.

Otherwise, every young adult in the country will feel
entitled to a college education paid by their parents
and parents will feel legally obligated to.

The courts are only supposed to interpret laws
not establish laws.

This really disturbed me, will probably look into it
further but there's so many other things going on
right now

Rebel 5

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

The parents had a kid. The responsibility lands on them. Period.

I dont know if you have kids or not. If you do, were they sometimes brats? Did you plan for their future anyways?

They raised a brat? They have a brat to deal with.

At what point do you require your own kids to shoulder a responsibility?

Ever?

Will you adopt me?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
So my question is where is the cut off, if not at 18, then 40, 50. Hell could a non traditional student at 40 go after their parents in their seventies. This liberal agenda needs to stop. As i can see soon the next big law suit will be some 30's sloth living on mom and dad and getting kicked out and suing for re-enstatement in their house with pay.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Wow! I could show this judge what happens when parents are convinced that they are obligated to their children for life. My ex is 65 years-old and he and his lady friend are living rent-free and jobless in his 82 year-old Mother's home. She is still working to support them despite numerous health issues. It is terribly sad. It is going to be a sad time indeed when she passes because neither of these "children" has ever held a job long enough to be able to collect SS benefits and they have depleted any savings she had and has taken out a mortgage on her home in order to buy him a new truck.
Thankfully, our offspring didn't develop his sense of entitlement and got themselves jobs and scholarships to get through college.
Needless to say, he never paid a dime of child support so when he went to his children for "help" they suggested he get a job. His Mom wasn't so mean and greedy as his children so she's stuck with him.
We promised to help our children to obtain undergraduate degrees but there were limits to our help and conditions like "you must be maintaining a passing GPA." We were fortunate enough to be associated with a university that gave some nice breaks on tuition for students of faculty and staff but it was still sometimes a struggle with five of them (blended family) all coming within a 10 year period.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

This is ass backwards Jersey. My kids are still covered under their fathers insurance until they are 26 & they both have full time jobs....When I found out this all happened here in my state, I was NOT shocked at all. Whatever happened to kids having jobs while going through college. My kids worked while going through college....The girl was a drinker & moved out long before starting college. I don't think it's fair to the parents.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

If her parents are smart, they'll forgo health insurance, live large and stick her with the costs of taking care of them when they're old.

However, most of the adults I know who are entitled brats were pretty much raised to be that way, or parents let kids do whatever they want when they're little thinking they can rein them in once they're older... doesn't usual work that way. I can't imagine suing my own parents about anything and they were pretty lousy...

edit on 14-12-2014 by Jessica6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
What this adult child with the entitlement attitude demands now may come back to visit her later. The good judges of Pennsylvania may require her to pay for her parents' extended care in their old age. After all, Ms. Entitlement's post-college earnings will be attributable to her parents' funding of her college education.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join