It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a first, more Americans support gun rights than gun control, poll finds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
www.csmonitor.com...

According to a new poll taken by Pew Research Center, more Americans support gun rights than gun control. According to the Pew poll, this is the first time in 2 decades where gun rights are more prioritized than gun control.

By a margin of 52 percent to 46 percent, Americans say protecting the rights of gun owners is more important than gun control, according to a survey by the Pew Research Center released Wednesday. It is the first time Pew found more support for gun ownership than gun control in more than two decades of surveys on the issue.

Another link : www.people-press.org...

The latest national survey by the Pew Research Center, conducted Dec. 3-7 among 1,507 adults, also finds a shift in attitudes about whether gun ownership in this country does more to protect people or put people’s safety at risk. Nearly six-in-ten Americans (57%) say gun ownership does more to protect people from becoming victims of crime, while 38% say it does more to endanger personal safety. In the days after Newtown, 48% said guns do more to protect people and 37% said they placed people at risk.

What's the cause of this shift over the past few years?

Well, first I would say is that during the gun buying panic of late 2012-2013, everyone who wanted a gun but didnt have one yet, went out and bought one as quick as they could. Because of this panic, there's now a fairly large influx of new gun owners into the firearms community.

Additionally, I would expect that all these new gun owners would bring more people into the firearms community over the past year. Bringing friends/family to the local range, firearms talk during dinner, etc....

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

People realize our rights are being stripped away by an out of control Government. I am 100% behind the Bill of Rights without exception. I think many others are waking up as well. If you don't support Constitutionally protected rights like the 2nd amendment how can you expect people to support the rights that are important to you?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I think more people are starting to see through the scare tactics of the gun control groups. I also think that people are starting to realize that they had better cling to what few rights haven't been completely dismantled all in the name of "keeping us safer" and "being for the good of the people".

Social media is also a contributor to this as well. There are fun facts that are floating around the social media sites like: "Did you know that in the last 5 years more people were killed with hammers in the US than with assault rifles?"
edit on 12/11/2014 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

People realize our rights are being stripped away by an out of control Government. I am 100% behind the Bill of Rights without exception. I think many others are waking up as well. If you don't support Constitutionally protected rights like the 2nd amendment how can you expect people to support the rights that are important to you?

Agreed. During the debate at the Federal level last year, I think a fairly large chunk of the population saw right through the attempted laws. They tried to push their bull, but the people flat out said No!

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_
I think more people are starting to see through the scare tactics of the gun control groups. I also think that people are starting to realize that they had better cling to what few rights haven't been completely dismantled all in the name of "keeping us safer" and "being for the good of the people".

I think social media is also a contributor to this as well. There are fun facts that are floating around the social media sites like: "Did you know that in the last 5 years more people were killed with hammers in the US than with assault rifles?"

Agreed with both points. People saw right through the scare tactics the anti's were pulling.

The social media is also a major factor these days. Information is travelling so much faster in the past few years than it has ever been. Instead of watching some talking head on the TV, people can just get on facebook and see what their friends are saying about the issue.

Generally speaking, I would assume someone would be more open to hearing their friends viewpoints on the issue, rather than some news commentator that they've never met before.
edit on 11-12-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

In a recent poll Americans have learned how to read...

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

I'm a mix between the two. I believe guns being a common occurrence is a threat to public safety but that's irrelevant. I think cars are dangerous, too. As well as microwaves and hot pockets.

Owning a gun is a trademark for America. It's a big portion of our face and culture. I'm willing to bet there are many like me who would vote to protect gun rights who don't like the idea of people having them. If only the gun culture segment of American voters would return the gesture and stand up for marriage equality and other civic issues, we would be set.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Ahhhhhh! Nothing like a good ol' poll. Who cares what kind of people are being asked, or for that matter if there really was one even taken. Just thinking about it makes me chuckle.

Anyway, I hope the poll IS in fact real. It is strictly my opinion that the founders got it right when they gave citizens the right to bear arms.

But what the hell do I know? I'm just a hillbilly who believes in freedom and the right to protect themselves.

edit on 11-12-2014 by solongandgoodnight because: Added

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

If only the gun culture segment of American voters would return the gesture and stand up for marriage equality and other civic issues, we would be set.

There are plenty of socially liberal gun owners....

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
We (the USA) have the most guns but yet we have the most corrupt police killings and brutality.

I guess it makes sense in an alternate reality..

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

It's a big portion of our face and culture. I'm willing to bet there are many like me who would vote to protect gun rights who don't like the idea of people having them. If only the gun culture segment of American voters would return the gesture and stand up for marriage equality and other civic issues, we would be set.

I consider myself very libertarian (at least socially liberal). I've only gotten into the firearms community a few years ago, so I dont have as much experience as many others.

I do think there's a slight shift going on the the firearms community as of recently, and it's fading away from what it used to be seen as. There's not as many Fudds out there these days. For example, I've been going to a local range for the past 2 years, and over time it seems that there's a growing number of younger people getting into the community. Some small talk here and there over the years with some of the other shooters, and it seems like there's more of a liberal viewpoint coming from others at the range. Not liberal as in Progressive/Democrat, but more along the lines of Libertarian. (and they're definitely not Fuddy either). Also, my friends that I go shooting with are also of similar political mindset as myself, and most of them have also only somewhat recently got into firearms.

Taking the NRA as another example, they have also had somewhat of a shift over the past decade or so. In the past, the NRA was basically ran by Fudds. However recently, the NRA has shifted from their Fudd style and have gone to a more open style of representing themselves. I do follow some NRA commentators every now and then, and they're the complete opposite of what you would think if you went back into the 80's or 90's. They're definitely catering to the younger generations these days.

Give it a few more years and I believe the gun community will be viewed much differently than it has in the past. The old hardline Fudds are fading, and they're being replaced by the more open, younger/middle aged generations.
edit on 11-12-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Its actually nothing new. Support for tigher restrictions on guns has been declining for a very long time. Take a look at Gallup's polling data on the issue. The 2nd graph tells the story. Support for more gun control has lost roughly 30 points since the first poll was taken in 1990. Rather than a precipitous drop, notice that its been a slow, steady burn. This suggests that rather than a momentary change of heart among a fickle public, this is a long-term change in public perception on the issue that is likely to continue. As I've stated in past discussions on the issue, I think this is the reason the antis seem to be getting more and more desperate. They can read trend lines, too.

Although there are likely a number of causes, I suspect the one playing the biggest role has simply been the firearms market itself. With greater exposure comes greater acceptance. In the link above, look at the polling data on handguns. Fifty years ago, a majority supported a ban on handguns. Most gun owners at the time were ranchers, farmers and hunters who had a rifle and shotgun in the closet and many saw little need of a handgun. But as time passed, more and more people from all walks of life started buying them to defend their families, and in the process, the public perception of handguns started to slowly, steadily shift to the point that now, a half century later, three quarters of the public supports a private right to own a handgun.

I think the same thing is still happening at a broader level on the gun rights issue. Millions of people have bought their first 'assault rifle' in recent years as they've surged in popularity. Millions of others have gotten carry permits or bought their first firearm, period, as sales have hit record levels almost every year for the last 15 years. That exposure to the realities of the issue rather than the misrepresentations of the antis is shifting the political landscape on the issue, and as long as the current trends in gun sales continue, its likely that so, too, will the decline in support for gun control.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I think you may be confusing terms a bit. A 'Fudd' isn't a gun owner with a broader political ideology, necessarily. Its a gun owner who thinks that gun rights only apply to sporting purposes.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Well, and the "polls" show the truth.

So much for more gun control.

People are tired of having their rights stripped away.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I love threads about polls.

People that are usually distrustful of polls seem to be the loudest shouters when there are results that align with their worldview.

It's cute.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

Seems that Progressives hold polls up as the shining example of truthful representation of the people's wants.

Polls are crafted typically for a certain outcome.

Pew is typically slanted to the Dem/Progressive side of things.

Either Pew has an objective in inaccurately showing people are sick of having their guns rights stripped, or they are telling the truth.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington
I love threads about polls.

People that are usually distrustful of polls seem to be the loudest shouters when there are results that align with their worldview.

It's cute.
Agreed.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

Thanks for the reply, but I've already made my opinion on the matter quite clear and it delights me that you felt the need to defend yourself.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington

So am I to understand you have no disagreement with the poll results? Or are you one of the people you speak of?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I wasn't a gun owner until last year when Illinois passed Conceal Carry laws. I now own 2 and am looking to purchase another shortly. I distrust our government and over reach of authority, not to mention the dirtbag criminals.
edit on 13-12-2014 by Oldsguy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join