It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hi-Point C9 - Saturday Night Special

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The Hi-Point C9 is a very affordable 9mm pistol that retails at about $150.

It's not flashy, it's not fancy, but it gets the job done (just about), in a pinch it can perform CCW duty.

I can tell you for nothing the looser tolerances on it will run ammo that you throw at it. I had some 9mm HP which my CZ was not happy with. The Hi-Point shot it off like champ!
If you can live with its quirks and rugged construction (the dealer guy called it a boat anchor!) the price is right!

There's a .45 ACP caliber version available also.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Hi-Point does not follow ISO9000 manufacturing standards. They are largely hit or miss on reliability, and tend to break when you least expect it.

I owned one for a few months and put a few hundred rounds through it. It did no perform well. Accuracy was awful.

For 150 bucks more you can buy a Turkish Canik55 TP9, manufactured to ISO9000 standards, comes with 2 Mec-Gar 17 round magazines, a speed loader, and a holster. They also have proven reliability.

I understand the urge to save money, but the firearms industry is one of those places where you truly get what you pay for.
edit on pWed, 10 Dec 2014 06:47:12 -0600201410America/Chicago2014-12-10T06:47:12-06:0031vx12 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
yeah ill pass on that.
my father in law has a hi point and i held it the other day. it was a bulky, anti ergonomic brick.
for $250 you can get a sccy cpx-2.
i just picked one up. nice piece

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: WatchRider

Here's my opinion of hp...I own a fairly decent collection of firearms. ...glock, kimber, ect....and then I own a 9mm luger high point....yes true you get what you pay for with firearms. ...and they certainly are uglier than hell...and bulky....and watch out if you have buddies that shoot as well ...cause you will get ridiculed for owning one of these....However to get to my point ...When we shoot I will occasionally break out the hp ...which gets lots of laughs then I proceed to out shoot them all and then they get mad....for the money they do a fine job of putting rounds down range...and even accurately.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: highfreq

The OP mentioned the Hi Point was suitable for CC in a pinch?
Not unless you like wearing a brick in your pants.
For range shooting, sure, use any gun that you are confident that won't explode or fail on you. After all, you can stop, jack in another shell and see if it will work then. But if you want a gun that you can put a lot of faith in it being able to bark off repeated rounds at a time of real need, dig in your pocket a little deeper. You get what you pay for, after all, cost does matter.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: WatchRider

As a HP x2 (4595TS and 34510) owner they do get the job done. The only recommendation I have don't run cheap rounds.
The cheap stuff such as blazer (aluminum case) will couse more jams. I run Winchester fmj's in both and never jams along with doing a full cleaning every 500 rounds or so.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

For 150 bucks more you can buy a Turkish Canik55 TP9, manufactured to ISO9000 standards, comes with 2 Mec-Gar 17 round magazines, a speed loader, and a holster. They also have proven reliability.

I second this. I ordered one of these guns on a lark when they were running a special online for under $300. Having already owned a Turkish .45acp that was way underpriced for the build quality, I figured at worse case it would at least be a good range gun for my son to use. It's accurate, functioned flawlessly for with 1000ish rounds downrange and doesn't look like or feel like a brick in the hand

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

With DA only, how's the trigger pull on that? Long? My nephew has a Kahr .40 and you have time to eat breakfast with a 2nd cup of coffee from the time you start squeezing till the thing goes boom.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I have a C9.
It will digest any ammo.
It holds a fairly tight pattern for me (6'' at 40 yds.), but I tend to hit high and left with it, and I don't have that issue with any other handguns.
For the $100 that I put out for it, I didn't go wrong, IMO.
edit on b000000312014-12-10T09:11:44-06:0009America/ChicagoWed, 10 Dec 2014 09:11:44 -0600900000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

That was my big complaint with the Hi Point.
You start the pull and..."is this thing ever going off?"

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I agree with projectvxn here - I just advised my brother against getting a hi-point and made a similar recommendation; instead of the TP9 I recommended the Stingray (I like an alloy frame).

I also just ordered one, $320 @ JGSales. Should arrive tomorrow.

I highly recommend saving an additional $150 and getting a Canik - or even better, saving an additional $300 and getting a CZ75. I love my CZ's. =]

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinkerHaus
I agree with projectvxn here - I just advised my brother against getting a hi-point and made a similar recommendation; instead of the TP9 I recommended the Stingray (I like an alloy frame).

I highly recommend saving an additional $150 and getting a Canik - or even better, saving an additional $300 and getting a CZ75. I love my CZ's. =]

Agreed.
There is no way that I would make a Highpoint the gun that I depend on to save my life.
But, when you just want to have some fun... they are inexpensive.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Livin in Mass we are used to long, tough, gritty, incomprehensible, 10 pound trigger pulls. Saying that... I wonder why the Hi-Point didn't make it on the AGs list.
edit on 10-12-2014 by BlastedCaddy because: Massholes unite!

edit on 10-12-2014 by BlastedCaddy because: k-4 grammer

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I used to have one. After all the reviews I saw, I went ahead and got it and the 300-400 rounds I put through it, with 3 different magazines, it functioned just fine. I did have to sell it though due to unexpected issues needing money. I would probably buy one again if I needed something cheap that works.

DingleBerry

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

With DA only, how's the trigger pull on that? Long? My nephew has a Kahr .40 and you have time to eat breakfast with a 2nd cup of coffee from the time you start squeezing till the thing goes boom.

from what i read its long but im not a big shooter so i really have nothing to compare it to.
i did notice it made me go off center a touch. i still did well on my targets.
i pulled a bit then made a small adjustment and finished the pull.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

It's shorter than a Glock and quite sensitive. Not the best feel for a trigger.

Folks should note this is not my gun, my buddy picked it up for $150 at a gun show brand new. No spare magazine though but affordable. This talk of a turkish pistol for the same price sounds buzzy, but in that neck of the woods where he got the C9 there were no cheaper semi-autos.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinkerHaus

That's what I opted for, I should post my comprehensive review of the CZ up sometime but don't want to be seen as spamming. I got told off by a cross moderator a while back for doing that!

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: DAVID64

That was my big complaint with the Hi Point.
You start the pull and..."is this thing ever going off?"

Apart from the forward assist occasionally being required my big beef was the low capacity of the magazine. 8 rounds IIRC and that's it! For a 9mm that's almost like revolver capacity without the hard-hitting factor. The single-stack mags give a few more shades of reliability and I know there's after-market mags but still...

new topics

top topics

join