It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate CIA Torture Report Released: "Mismanaged Dungeons"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Yeah, because when you run torture dungeons, the least you can do is manage them properly.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CX

This kind of # was going on well before this administration, before 9/11.

Did kidnapping and then torture by proxies somehow absolve them of wrongdoing?

This shameful inhumane treatment done in the name of national security isn't a partisan issue.

Shame on them, shame on ALL of us.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
i have started to have a good thorough read through the report and the foreword from the intelligence committee chairman sets the way the report should be interpretted.

The foreword brings peoples memories back to the 9/11 attacks and uses vivid poignant images to invoke a feeling of sadness and anger to what happened that day:

I recall vividly watching the horror of that day, to include the television footage of innocent men and women jumping out of the World Trade Center towers to escape the fire. The images, and the sounds as their bodies hit the pavement far below, will remain with me for the rest of my life.

It goes on to say that this is not an excuse but just serves as a reminder of why these tortures started, which is a lie. It thinks by claiming its not an excuse it will be so, but in reality it is exactly what is trying to be made because if it wasnt for the attacks then these things would not have happened.

One word: Scum

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
A 6,000 page report gets whittled down to 525 pages for the public.

That's pretty damning in itself. Nothing like seeing 1/12th of an issue and pretending anyone is getting the 'Big Picture'.

That's because we are just "the stupid voters"! We only need to know what they tell us we need to know and nothing else!

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Bring this out of the dark. Interrogation and getting information is one thing but we didn't get much info and it was mismanaged and shows just how corrupt our government is.

Funny how people on this board, especially are still playing the political game.

As a country, we suck...the USA sucks. We like to think we're better than all those other countries, but at the governmental and secret alphabet agency level, we are just as bad. We wonder why ISIS want's to kill us, it's because of how we treat enemy combatants, how we disregard the geneva convention, how we detain people and torture them for decades and never bring them to trial, how we kill children with our drone strike. Pathetic.

Some lunatics on here will say, if you don't like this country then leave it. but I don't like to run away from problems, I'd rather face them head on and fix them.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

The C.I.A. has been rectal feeding the Public for decades with their Fairy Tales of Threats to National Security that Never seem to have Any Basis in Facts............. What Else is New ?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
A 6,000 page report gets whittled down to 525 pages for the public.

That's pretty damning in itself. Nothing like seeing 1/12th of an issue and pretending anyone is getting the 'Big Picture'.

I call that a carefully crafted script to spin what ever narrative they wanted since no one at the CIA was interviewed, and neither were any of the 'victims'.

All I have seen is what the Senate 'Intelligence' Committee has said.

That's the same people who said Assad used Wmds.

Considering the long history of politicians throwing the CIA under the bus for their political careers.

It's amazing there is still even a CIA.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
So now we just contract it out to the Saudis.

They are better than us at it anyway.

They won't change anything except us hearing about it.

The timing as well as the partial release is highly suspect to me.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
Of course the White House and Congress knew what was going on. This is a clear attempt by the Dems and Obama to vilify the Rep. party and the Bush administration just in time for the upcoming presidential elections.

I think the vilification started when the Bush Administration detained people and tortured them.

Obama is part of the neocon tortures as well as he allowed the practices to continue.
edit on 9-12-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
I'm reading the report now. It's slow going because I keep wanting to swear and walk away in utter disgust. The level of arrogance, cruelty and above all utter stupidity displayed by the CIA beggars belief. The Bush Administration really was a moral vacuum.

Yea! Except for it all being kicked off under the Clinton administration. Right or wrong policies, let's give credit where credit is due eh?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I think the vilification started when the Bush Administration detained people and tortured them.

Yeah 'vilification' that leaves out quite a hell of a lot of American history.

GW DID NOT start 'torture', but some people don't really care.

The current policy traces its roots to the administration of former President Bill Clinton. Following the attacks of September 11, 2001, however, what had been a limited program expanded dramatically, with some experts estimating that 150 foreign nationals have been victims of rendition in the last few years alone. Foreign nationals suspected of terrorism have been transported to detention and interrogation facilities in Jordan, Iraq, Egypt, Diego Garcia, Afghanistan, Guantánamo, and elsewhere. In the words of former CIA agent Robert Baer: "If you want a serious interrogation, you send a prisoner to Jordan. If you want them to be tortured, you send them to Syria. If you want someone to disappear -- never to see them again -- you send them to Egypt."

www.aclu.org...

I am sure that 'report' leaves that out.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
"unnecessary rectal feeding as a torture method"

Unnecessary?
Was there ever a necessity for this procedure? To feed?

There was actually a South Park episode about this different way of "eating".
Is that where they got that idea? I mean, who the hell thinks up this stuff?

Mind boggling......

It was also mentioned on cnn that they paid out about 80 million dollars to contractors to do this crap to the detainees..

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

You said what I said, but with sources

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I do not believe any of this information would have ever been made public. If the Republicans had been running the country for the last 8 years. What was once OK to use during a Republican lead government suddenly became NOT OK in a Democratic lead government. So my question is this who was right.
I think that it would not matter how information is obtained. IMO. Does anyone think that if we had people captured, that the bad guys would not torture them? I do not call what we did as torture. I believe it simply was a very harsh and rugged form of interrogations. How are we suppose to do to obtain necessary information? Coddle and be nice and sweet to our prisoners?
As far as secret prisons is concerned. What where we suppose to do bring every prisoner back to America? I think NOT. So we had to set up some prisons elsewhere. NBD.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
Also, the CIA leaked artificial "classified" information to journalists in an effort to prove that the brutal torture program was working.

The report is just now being analyzed, and I'm sure more shocking -- or not -- findings will be discovered.

Well, ATS was certainly ahead of the curve there. How many here correctly predicted that news of plots was made up to justify the torture?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I got more:

Torture abroad during the Cold War

American officials were involved in counter-insurgency programs in which they encouraged their allies, such as the ARVN to use torture, and actively participated in it, during the 1960s to the 1980s. From 1967 to at least 1972, the Central Intelligence Agency coordinated the Phoenix Program, which targeted the infrastructure of the Communist National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam ("Viet Cong"). The program killed 26,000 Viet Cong and captured over 60,000.[21] Critics of the program assert that many of those identified by the program as Viet Cong members were actually civilians, who when captured suffered torture by the South Vietnamese Army, under CIA supervi

en.wikipedia.org...

Whilst the Obama administration has tried to distance itself from some of the harshest counterterrorism techniques, it has also said that at least some forms of renditions will continue.[78] Currently the administration continues to allow rendition only "to a country with jurisdiction over that individual (for prosecution of that individual)" when there is a diplomatic assurance "that they will not be treated inhumanely

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
Of course the White House and Congress knew what was going on. This is a clear attempt by the Dems and Obama to vilify the Rep. party and the Bush administration just in time for the upcoming presidential elections.

'Just in time'???? It's almost two years away!

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

I agree I don't think this is a political move...

If it was they'd have released it before the recent elections...

If it was partisan, they missed a golden opportunity with that one.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I agree I don't think this is a political move..

Yeah it is a political move. Hell 6 years to release this ?

Especially after the current administration tried to prosecute the CIA.

Only to say no no, 'What the CIA did was 'bad', but no charges' !

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. announced Thursday that no one would be prosecuted for the deaths of a prisoner in Afghanistan in 2002 and another in Iraq in 2003, eliminating the last possibility that any criminal charges will be brought as a result of the brutal interrogations carried out by the C.I.A.

No Charges Filed on Harsh Tactics Used by the C.I.A.

That was back in 2012.

Which makes Feinstein, and her party look like sore losers.
edit on 9-12-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

I agree I don't think this is a political move...

If it was they'd have released it before the recent elections...

If it was partisan, they missed a golden opportunity with that one.

I agree. I think that they released it now because they were sick and tired of people trying to sit on it. The magnitude of what was done in the post 9-11 panic is disgusting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join