It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real reason for the forty-hour workweek

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: NonsensicalUserName
a reply to: RichardA

those kids should have made better choices, and chosen not to be born am I right?

Social Darwinism is great when you're not at the bottom of the barrel.

Frankly the existence of social-democratic countries, despite the various demographic issues many of them have, shows that human nature isn't as cold as you think it is.

Its very obvious he meant the mother should have made better choices. Namely to not have kids she knows damn well she can't support.

I'm sure you have heard of birth control?
edit on 11-12-2014 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: leolady

How about companies offer a new benefit where the employee gets one day each pay period "paid and off" to explore the more creative side of themselves. The OP said, and I believe this to be true, there simply wasn't enough time for it while working the 40 hour week.

I don't think that such an arrangement is useful in all circumstances but Google does this or used to. In the company it is known as 20% time, I think it was every Friday. During which time employees were free to take on any projects they thought would be interesting and use Googles resources to develop them. Many of their more successful products were initially conceived and developed during 20% time.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: Telos

It has only been in the last century that the work day has decreased to forty hours. In agrarian societies, work lasted from sunrise to sunset. In the industrializing world, some factories operated non-stop, with workers working long shifts six days a week. The forty hour work week was a victory for labor unionism in the United States.

But in those agrarian they would have many holidays some lasting a month or more. In many peasant community's between plantings and harvesting you would fill that time with relaxation and community festivals.

yes and Jubilees of total debt forgiveness after a certain number of years was the norm for everyday people.
Well at least giant Corps still believe in debt forgiveness between themselves.. isn't that sweet?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

doesn't change my point. those kids made a stupid mistake deciding to be born to that woman.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr
I disagree.

For every source you have slowing how our ancestors had it so much better, I can provide one showing how they worked more, had to deal more with the threat of disease and starvation more, and generally had a much lower standard of living.

Yes, I agree the simple things in life are best. I don't need to spend money to enjoy life, but if I want to visit places I'm curious about half a world away, my job provides for that.

I grew up in poverty. I had nothing. In order to improve my life I worked hard. I worked two jobs, put myself through university and now enjoy my life much more. Is it because I have more money? No. It's because I can now do what I want, when I want.

Many of you will say it's because I'm brainwashed. I'm a corporate shill. I need money to enjoy life. Money doesn't buy my happiness. Friends and family do that. My wealth simply enhances it. I won't worry about retiring. I won't worry about my children's future.

While you all opine about how hard work is thrust upon you and how hard life is, I did something about it, and life is better for it. Where I live, of you did not have a very good harvest indeed, you could very possibly die during the long winter. Even our most unfortunate do not have to worry now.

I wouldn't trade my21st century life for anything in the past. Obviously you all have written off the stories your grandparents have told you about how hard it was in the past. Walking 20 miles barefoot to school. ......

Did you even read the OP? You keep on saying YOU YOU (not worth mentioning the rest) while the material I used to start the thread is from someone else. I just passed it to the board for others to read. Secondly, I don't care what you trade or don't trade for your 21st century lifestyle. This thread is not about you, nor 10 or 100 of you. Get it?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

Forgive me if I lack understanding but honestly I don't see the point of your reply. I didn't contradict what you said, I just explained the whole "analysis" on 40 hours per week work and my viewpoint on how logical the explanation from the OP was.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

40 hours! i made 20 grand in overtime last year. Yes i see your points, and no i do not have a life.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: FredWreck

Someone else would be on staff to work on the car, it would be a rotating schedule so staff is always present.

Obviously its a no go idea for you. I agree with work/life balance and right now the balance is tipped toward work in my opinion.

I work the 40 hour work week by the way... its the only way to support me and my kids. When I leave my 40 hour work week each day, I have to take care of the kids, cook, clean the house, do laundry...so on so forth. So by the time all of that is done there is little time left to explore the creative side of life as per the OP's discussion. When I put the kids to bed, I'm pretty much crawling into bed myself just to be able to get up at 5am the next morning and do it all over again.

leolady

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: Annunak1
Modern day slavery.
F#ck this system and the people that created it
We will break free

Have fun with that.
I love my career because it's what I enjoy doing and Im getting paid very well to do it.
Blah blah blah , the man is always holding someone down.

What does a shill get paid these days?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The unfortunate truth is that life - that is living and existing can take a lot of work. Even in more primitive self sufficient societies, they may spend a good amount of the day collecting food - gathering plants, etc. for their animals, for themselves. Tending to crops, shelter and various things. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Now that we need work for even more things other than sustenance, there is much more work to be done.

---

Lets see there are 24 hours in a day.

You sleep 8, work 8 and commute 2 hours, that leaves 6 hours if you are lucky and more likely 4 hours.

4 hours that you can call yours!

4 hours is nothing.. you can easily zone out for 4 hours.

lets see.. you have to go to the bathroom, brush your teeth, take a shower, make breakfast, make dinner, clean the house, clean the dishes, etc.

How much time does that leave?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I, like the author, also quit my job to see what it felt like to not work for a few years. I saved up a lot of money to do so. I traveled for months which was great. After I got that out of my system, I was living a somewhat leisurely life. It is great for a few months, but after a while, surprisingly it can become problematic. It is hard to describe but the extra time and no real obligation to do anything can put you into states of mind that are not so pleasant. You can become bored of leisurely things if you do them too much.

One thing good about work is that it keeps you and your mind occupied and out of these unpleasant states of mind associated with being at a loss of what to do with yourself. With work, you have an obligation and something you have to do. Also the contrast of having to work, may make your leisure time more enjoyable and valuable when you have it.

Definitely too much work is no good, and too little work is no good too.

---

We should have another labor movement. 6 weeks mandatory paid vacation for everyone, like in many European and Nordic countries and a 7 hour work day.

More time and less stress for everyone would benefit everyone because it may create a more vibrant and interesting culture.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: NonsensicalUserName

Do you have reading comprehension issues? I said the mother should have made better decisions in life. The children however have the same opportunity that we all do. Do what they need to do to be successful or not. I'm not sure why this is a difficult concept to grasp. Oh, and success can take many forms, it all depends upon what an individual considers success.

Ever been at the bottom of the barrel? I have. Once as a child in the foster care system and once as an adult when I was homeless. Yes, human nature is as brutal and cold as I know it to be, just be content that you've never experienced it first hand. So, please spare me the sociology lecture. Civilized behavior is merely a thin veneer behind which lurks the most dangerous of all predators.

Back to the topic. For those who say that a forty hour week keeps you from enjoying the good things in life, I call BS. It all comes down to what you are willing to sacrifice to achieve it. Perhaps that is the biggest stumbling block in this whole discussion. People seem to feel that they are entitled to all of these things without sacrifice. They aren't, they are only entitled to what they earn monetarily, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
edit on R042014-12-12T11:04:06-06:0011amFri, 12 Dec 2014 11:04:06 -060012AM by RichardA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Wrong

thread

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
You have never been free because you are bound by the needs of your body.

You have to provide for it food and other things.

You were under the delusion that you have been free because early in life your parents provide for you.

But then you grow up and get the bad news.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

So true, i didnt have the choice to be here. Also i have to feed this body, free will isnt so free.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

as an executive that works minimum of 60 hours a week, that just isn't correct.

I have to put in the hours to protect the people who work for me, who rely on me to do my job to keep them employed, insured, paid, etc. I can't just walk away from that, and keep the business operating.

There is a duty associated with being "the boss". Primarily: a duty to his employees, and his own boss.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I spend a whole lot more money when I am free during the day than when I am free at night.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

When the Dalai Lama was asked, what surprised him the most about humanity he replied:

“Man.

Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;
the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;
he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

edit on 14-12-2014 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

More people should listen to the Dalai Lama, then maybe the world could be better off.

But then again, common sense is a gift most don't even know they have.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I know a guy that always bragged he never paid taxes in his life. well his parents are gone and instead of trying he let the house go on back taxes. Last summer he went to sign up for Social Security but he didn't exist in their records and was shown the door. You need to look at the world and decide if you want to contribute or exist but don't think people will help you forever because you chose to just exist.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join