It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The secret Internet: What governments do not want you to know.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
If you guys are putting faith in the Tor. I just hope your not doing anything illegal, because anonymity is most likely disinformation.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Tor is only as secure is the exit nodes. You are putting g your faith in random person x that runs said node.

X could be any alphabet agencies playing min in the middle with your data.

Good luck with that.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: lonesomerimbaud
a reply to: DeathSlayer

I have Tor. I am very new to all this. I know how Tor works in terms of anonymity, but there is the question of how to access areas that we can't normally through internet explorer and google, and why even bother if it is only illegal stuff?

Also, I read your post, but I still don't get the .onion address thingy.

Please can you or somebody else tell us a bit more about this with a "Tor for dummies" approach.

Thanks in anticipation.

I'm not sure if it'd be against the t&c to post a link, so do a Google search for "working tor hiddenwiki". Once you find one that works, go there. It will be a page with a bunch of links to different things. If you're new to Tor, it'll be a decent starting point for you.
All .onion sites are "deep web" sites, whereas .com/.net/.gov, etc etc, is "clear web", ie normal internet.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Tor is pretty much done. There have been far too many failures. Instead consider Freenet or I2P.
I2P with frost plug-in is exceptional.

Do your own research. Trust no-one on the net when it comes to anonymity. Setting up I2P is hard for a beginner but far more secure than any onion network. Besides most sites are moving away from tor anyway.

I would tell you again to do your own research and consider carefully your adventures on either the clear-net or the dark-net.

EDIT:

Also the hiddenwiki is garbage unless you're looking for illegal content. if you want sites with real content hit up torchan2 and use it as a springboard to other content. It's a good place to start. Good stuff is out there. Make sure and keep a list of addresses that interest you.
edit on 9-12-2014 by rockn82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockn82
Tor is pretty much done. There have been far too many failures. Instead consider Freenet or I2P.
I2P with frost plug-in is exceptional.

What's the main difference between tor and I2P or freenet?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
If someone is interested in making transactions on the Dark Net, unless they have access to bitcoins and a lot of them, they're screwed, is that correct?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Any and every user of TOR should be aware of this. (From eff.org)

snip, bits n pieces

The proposal would grant a judge the ability to issue a warrant to remotely access, search, seize, or copy data when “the district where the media or information is located has been concealed through technological means” or when the media are on protected computers that have been “damaged without authorization and are located in five or more districts.” It would grant this authority to any judge in any district where activities related to the crime may have occurred.

To understand all the implications of this rule change, let’s break this into two segments.

The first part of this change would grant authority to practically any judge to issue a search warrant to remotely access, seize, or copy data relevant to a crime when a computer was using privacy-protective tools to safeguard one's location. Many different commonly used tools might fall into this category. For example, people who use Tor, folks running a Tor node, or people using a VPN would certainly be implicated. It might also extend to people who deny access to location data for smartphone apps because they don’t feel like sharing their location with ad networks. It could even include individuals who change the country setting in an online service, like folks who change the country settings of their Twitter profile in order to read uncensored Tweets.

The second part of the proposal is just as concerning.

It would grant authorization to a judge to issue a search warrant for hacking, seizing, or otherwise infiltrating computers that may be part of a botnet. This means victims of malware could find themselves doubly infiltrated: their computers infected with malware and used to contribute to a botnet, and then government agents given free rein to remotely access their computers as part of the investigation. Even with the best of intentions, a government agent could well cause as much or even more harm to a computer through remote access than the malware that originally infected the computer.

Make no mistake: the Rule 41 proposal implicates people well beyond U.S. borders. This update expands the jurisdiction of judges to cover any computer user in the world who is using technology to protect their location privacy or is unwittingly part of a botnet. People both inside and outside of the United States should be equally concerned about this proposal.

Long story short, if you use any method to protect your privacy, that can be used as grounds to gain a warrant. This would not be limited to OTR conversations on your phone, using TOR/Freenet/etc and I'd imagine that the allegation would be thrown around fairly haphazardly by law enforcement, but that is just my opinion on the matter.

Warrants obtained by police hacking in the past have been thrown out by the courts and this is very likely a response to that. (Search for "NIT TOR warrant" for further information)

Also, TOR is NOT 100% secure. It is fairly secure, but if you execute anything such as a PDF, Java, Flash and the like, the code may "phone home" and reveal your location. Not only this, but windows keeps a lot of logs and there will be traces left on your system unless you are running Linux, Tails or another live OS. It is a lot more secure if you stay within the .onion network. TOR is not without it's risk.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
TOR is not safe.
Even while you are looking it up and downloading it, your activities are being monitored. You aren't "safe" until you have a supposed "untraceable" IRL, and even that is not untraceable.
Many people get busted using TOR and yet it isn't made known. Those who invented the "deep web" and "marianas web" are monitoring you.
Besides....while you are applying for untraceability....YOUR INFORMATION IS ALREADY TRACED, INCLUDING THE VERY ADDRESS FROM WHERE YOU CURRENTLY ARE AT THAT TIME.
Don't believe this?
That's on you, not me.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
What governments do not want you to know:

They created the deepweb and ran all the pioneering drug markets.

Google 'Sam the Skunkman Selezny' if you want to understand 'the mans' involvement in the drug trade.

(heres a hint: information is collected, so they pose as anyone and everyone to gather it effortlessly as the literal hub of the whole scene) Yes the DEA collects Cannabis Opium and Coca genetics for Monsanto, have been since they started contaminating native crops with terminator genetics.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The TOR Onion routing system has been developed by Italian, French, Dutch and British intelligence to better spy on encrypted communications. This is possible simply due to the nature of TOR being a Distributed System that as such requires a middleware software layer. Additionally the available Routing nodes are carefully selected by EU and later on by US intelligence services.
Anyone who's studied anything meaningful about computer systems, networks or any serious institution was aware of this almost since the initial release of TOR to the public.
edit on 20-7-2017 by Flanker86 because: c

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Thanks! Never heard of the Internet

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: kellyshane

Why you bumping all these threads?

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>