It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College prof makes students recite anti-American 'pledge of allegiance'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

According to the 1st, I could fire an employee for burning an American flag but the state cannot make a law forbidding the burning of an American flag.

Thats what I interpret it as anyway.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: NavyDoc

According to the 1st, I could fire an employee for burning an American flag but the state cannot make a law forbidding the burning of an American flag.

Thats what I interpret it as anyway.

Yep. I agree with you yet again!

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
As a college student, you choose the classes and you get to choose the person that teaches that class.

It depends on the school and the degree. My daughter is getting a chemical engineering degree and only one of her six classes per semester is something that she can choose. The others are mandatory for the degree and have to fit into the scheduled time periods. There isn't much wiggle room.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I dont know how American university work but for a science degree she will have to take social or liberal political classes?
That just seems a waste of time?

As for lack of choice I get that as its the same here, I could only choose one or two classes as there so much to learn and a lot of classes are built on previous ones that to allow one complete freedom to pick would cause chaos. Trying to do advanced organic chemistry when half the class hasn't done Foundation or Intermediate classes is going to cause problems.
Science, maths and engineering degrees are not wishy washy liberal arts BS degrees there actual real leaning to do and I see the point of it being structured for the first couple of years. But the end of my Bsc we got alot more freedom to choose and for MS and Phd you obviously have a lot more freedom.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I dont know how American university work but for a science degree she will have to take social or liberal political classes?
That just seems a waste of time?.

Chem Eng major - Example for this semester

Calculus 3, Physics, Physics Lab, Organic Chem, Organic Chem lab, Chem Eng Principles, and _______ - one 'other' class of choice that has to be taken from humanities or social studies. Like Psychology or History or Sociology .. that kind of thing. There isn't much wiggle room for picking different classes. It has to fit in the schedule etc .

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Well, if the shoe fits...........

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Eeeew humanities and social studies.

Yeah its a bit different from here. You just choose from a list of classes in your degree area.

There not a a lot of wiggle room here either but I think its like I said before alot of the classed are structured on top of each other. I know my Advanced Immunology class I choose was a lot easier from having to take Advanced Biochemistry the semester before.

But thanks for clarifying the US uni system a bit.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
As long as kids across this country are being brainwashed by repeating the warped Pledge of Allegiance EVERY DAY, I don't see a problem with this College Professor handing this out and having the students read it once and discuss it... It's more true than the original one, IMO. He makes some great points.

Besides, no one can MAKE anyone say the pledge.
edit on 12/9/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Eeeew humanities and social studies.

Yeah its a bit different from here. You just choose from a list of classes in your degree area.

There not a a lot of wiggle room here either but I think its like I said before alot of the classed are structured on top of each other. I know my Advanced Immunology class I choose was a lot easier from having to take Advanced Biochemistry the semester before.

But thanks for clarifying the US uni system a bit.

Almost all degrees have restricted prerequisites for their areas of studies, but unless the college is extremely small, there is almost always, more than one class and more than one instructor teaching those classes. The student usually picks the class with the instructor of their choice, unless of course if the class is full, then you have to go with your 2nd or 3rd choice or you have to wait until the next semester. So there is still room for the student to make a choice.

They aren't forced to take the class with the instructor being discussed, and if they do take the class with this professor, they can not be "forced" to say his version of the pledge.

They still have a choice.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join