It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nihilism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This thread was intended to start a philosophic discussion and will be centered around three questions.
1.What is your definition of nihilism?
2.What is the validity of nihilism?
3.What social effects, if any, does nihilism have on any given society in which it presents itself in?
edit on 8-12-2014 by satsanga because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
What's with all these blank OP's this evening.

Must be a conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: satsanga

Nihilism-The rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is[objectively] meaningless.
I believe that nihilism is invalid.
I believe the social effects of nihilism are both unhealthy and disastrous for all societies.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Here ...

*lingo warning*

Omega
edit on 8/12/2014 by Omega85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Basically life is nihilism, ongoing (same thing) again and again thinking what you do is important but it's not.
Perhaps its handy (for gaining wisdom or whatever) knowing that although you won't get happy from it so basicly still useless. like life itself in a sense.

What use is smiling, laughing? feels good so you do it.

But the word nihilism, is a word, doesn't mean/say much.

It's like using the word terrorists or freedom, they are words not much more.

edit on 8-12-2014 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Plugin

From that post i contrived this, correct me if i'm wrong.
Nihilism- Liberation from the delusion that your habitual actions have any inherent importance.
Nihilism is valid.
It's social effects are decidedly negative.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Nihilism is the belief that everything is meaningless.

It's just another perspective.

Believing in nihilism, that everything is meaningless, may cause indifference towards others.

Believing that Love is important will inspire others to compassion, appreciation, generosity and therefore more peace and joy.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Pretty good conclusion.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: arpgme
The belief that is everything is only objectively meaningless, or subjectively as well? What is your definition of love?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

1. Nihilism is groundlessness, or where a thinker is unable to maintain a metaphysical or axiomatic foundation upon which to continue building his own ideas.

2. Nihilism is valid insofar as newborns start from this groundlessness, and is the fundamental starting point for systematic thought. Nihilism in adults occurs when the foundations of a system can no longer support its weight and all comes tumbling down.

3. Nihilism is dangerous to those that rely on systems and rules within which to govern their thoughts, to govern their actions, to govern their morality. If the system fails, so too does its governing powers.
edit on 8-12-2014 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The thing is, one persons idea of what is meaningful might not match what another person thinks is meaningful. The harsh truth is that everything truly has the same level of meaning, which is none. It is us humans that ascribe meaning to the things we experience in this reality. But there's nothing wrong with that, I know that fundamentally the universe has no intrinsic meaning, but that doesn't mean I can't project my own meaning onto the world. What matters to me might not matter to most people, but that is perfectly fine, not everyone needs to care about the same thing.
edit on 8/12/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Either. A nihilist can believe that everything is meaningless and not care to give it meaning (which would be objective and subjective) or they can believe that everything is meaningless but still believe in the importance of giving it meaning (which would be objective meaningless since subjectively, they are giving it meaning).

Love is compassion, which means treating others as you would like to be treated; in others words, to care for and help others. The greatest love is saving someone's life.
edit on 8-12-2014 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

1.What is your definition of nihilism?

According to Webster...

:the belief that traditional morals, ideas, beliefs, etc., have no worth or value
:the belief that a society's political and social institutions are so bad that they should be destroyed

2.What is the validity of nihilism?

It's validity for the individual lies in the stripping away of societal constructs, producing a perception of freedom outside of the constraints of the group.

3.What social effects, if any, does nihilism have on any given society in which it presents itself in?

For the group, nihilism threatens the fabric that holds the group together by questioning or dispensing with agreed upon social etiquette the group has defined over time in order for the group to survive and thrive as a species.
edit on 12/8/2014 by Klassified because: edit

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I remember the punk nihilism of the late 70s and early 80s. The performance art, or maybe more like anti-art and the punk rock bands.

Back then, my opinion of nihilism was like giving the finger to everything. I was exposed to some of that hard core scene like GG Allin. That attitude will screw up your head up and lead to a bad end or some wild stories for the grand kids.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Aphorism
Focusing on answer number three for a moment, I'm going to propose a syllogism, tell me if you agree or disagree.

Society consists of systems and rules in which to structure a populous.
Nihilism disrupts the systems and rules of a society.
Therefore, nihilism disrupts the structural integrity of society.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder
How exactly do you "know" that the universe has no intrinsic value?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Focusing on answer number three for a moment, I ask you this question.
Is nihilism desirable for a society and it's occupants?

Focusing on answer number two for a moment. Based on the definition you presented, is nihilism an objective truth?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Focusing on answer number three for a moment, I ask you this question. Is nihilism desirable for a society and it's occupants?

No. The very foundation of our society is built on agreement. We all abide by certain etiquette so that, as a group, we can accomplish more, than as an individual. Perpetuating "survive and thrive". That's not to say questioning old traditions, beliefs, taboos, and so on isn't healthy, but a nihilist attitude is unhealthy for the species. We will then kill each other off, until we again realize we need social etiquette to survive as a species.

Focusing on answer number two for a moment. Based on the definition you presented, is nihilism an objective truth?

I'm not sure what you mean by objective truth in this case, but I will say that even an individual that spends their life alone, will learn from their experiences, and live their life accordingly. Thus, even someone outside of the group will live their life by a set of rules formulated to perpetuate their own survival. Therefore, nihilism has its place philosophically, but in practice, it can only lead to death for both the individual and the group.
edit on 12/8/2014 by Klassified because: corrections

edit on 12/8/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
What I mean by objective truth is this. Is the definition that you proposed as "nihilism" an existential truth?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

There is no purpose when our fate is oblivion.

It makes an assumption about the totality of reality, however, there are many individuals whom do not define a sense of purpose to their existence - it is valid for them.

Boredom and depression, generally.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join