It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What have you learned on ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

I've learned that the spirit of people infest potatoes; that "trools" are evil; that aliens exist on the moon; that it's ok to use offensive terms when referring to some women but not when referring to some races (for the record, I didn't use either); that there are many nice people on ATS and some really nasty ones; that many people can't distinguish between belief and fact; and that no one ever changes their mind about anything.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

I change my mind all of the time!

Wait... No... I just changed it again.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

I've learned that the spirit of people infest potatoes

That should be one of the weirdest things I've heard around here, but for some reason it just feels... normal? Am I spending too much time here?

Did you ever read the thread about the armless humanoid alien named Bob? It was stalking some member and he posted a picture and everything. It was hilarious.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I came to ATS late one night chasing an idea across the internet about panspermia, UFO's, and Mars rocks.
ATS has helped me open my mind to see beyond the popular story's in MSM. I have since become a verocious reader of the science and breaking news forums. I think it's wonderful when a story breaks and up pops a post from a member from close by. We get a completely different prospective from the bunk on MSM.
Oh and as much as I wish it wasn't so, a Mars rock is just a rock, but keep an open mind.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Set drink down before reading posts / threads to avoid a. Choking from laughing b. wasting alcohol choking while laughing ...

^^^^ Wisdom. Yet it can be said for most places on the interwebs, but I have lost quite a few carafes of merlot upon fixing my eyes upon the words of someone less than capable of determining the deviation between their gluteus maximus and their facies... I said facies.. oO

And when red hits your carpet, it is a stinker..

edit on 8-12-2014 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
a reply to: Tangerine

I change my mind all of the time!

Wait... No... I just changed it again.

I change my mind, like I change my underpants.

and I go commando.. Ahha.. see what I d.. uhh..

hmm...

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I've learned that when school is out for Summer break, it's a good time to stay away from ATS for a while and that it's pretty obvious some parents are not watching where their kids go on the internet.
Also, some folks really need to get out of their parents basement.
And, there's a lot of funny rocks on Mars.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I have learned that i can win a lot of beer betting on things the MSM have misled people about . Also the people who used to look at me quizzically when i mentioned ATS now look at me with the kind of fear you get when you are about to go another carton of beer down .
edit on 8-12-2014 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Casandra

originally posted by: Tangerine

I've learned that the spirit of people infest potatoes

That should be one of the weirdest things I've heard around here, but for some reason it just feels... normal? Am I spending too much time here?

Did you ever read the thread about the armless humanoid alien named Bob? It was stalking some member and he posted a picture and everything. It was hilarious.

LOL. No, I missed that one but I bet there's a connection to the potato spirits.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I've learned to never hold beliefs I am unwilling/unable to defend.

That there is a huge gap between claiming you KNOW something and claiming that you believe something.

That no belief no matter how bizarre it may seem to me goes undefended on the internet.

That evil is mundane and even the worst people in history were as human as me or you.

That to really begin to understand the world you first have to admit that even your most deeply held beliefs may be wrong.

That realizing you are wrong is one of the best things that can happen in a discussion because it allows you to grow as a person.

That the route to wisdom is rational, critical discourse.

That it is better to spread an inconvenient truth than a convenient lie.

That letting your beliefs get in the way of the search for truth is dangerous.

That there is no evil greater than willful ignorance
edit on 8122014 by monkofmimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I have learned ...

- I learned that everyone has "issues". EVERYONE.

- I learned that MANY people lie in order to push their own agenda or position. This is much more widespread than I had thought before joining ATS. And people will mislead and stretch the truth in order to push their agenda, and they'll think it's okay to do so because they think their position is correct.

- I learned that indoctrination is widespread. Indoctrination is very, very dangerous. It's everywhere. And everyone is suffering from indoctrination, even those who think they aren't. We are swimming in it.

- I learned that most people can change and grow once indoctrination is being broken. Give them information and time and space.

- I learned to forgive and allow people to move forward. (but it's okay to be cautious after having been burned by them .. that's basic survival)

- I learned that truth is important but is rarely found.

- I learned that pulling the race card is the hallmark of a probable failed discussion. I didn't realize that some people are obsessed with race and/or have race envy. Prior to ATS I didn't realize how easily people tossed the word 'racist' around. It's such a serious charge I thought people would be more careful and more accurate using it. Now I know that's not true.

- I learned that Noahs Ark, Adam and Eve, Genesis, and Exodus didn't happen. I learned that the Abraham story has no proof that it actually happened. My entire faith base has shifted in the past 10 years.

- I learned that people love to judge others and yet no one really knows what is going on with those other people. Not really.

- I learned that there isn't really any difference between the democrats and the republicans. Both claim to hold the moral high ground and yet neither have it.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I've learned that I am too inclined to believe the unbelievable. I want to believe. This realisation is grounding me though, so that's good.

I've learned that during the day I'm stressed - this is reflected in my posts. But during the evenings I'm a bit more mellow, also reflected in my posts. Again, this is good to understand about myself.

I've learned that I'm not alone in some way out views.

I've learned that even though I'm an arse on here sometimes if I were to create a thread on here asking for help lots of you would help me. Thanks!

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
That everything is not a conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
That we really absolutely do create our own realities.

There's nowt so strange as folk (Ok, i knew that already; but i really, really, really know it now)

That despite being bodaciously right-on, i'm still pretty bloody intolerant at times

That i quite enjoy writing, and will try to do more of it

That inspite of their craziness, folk from the US aren't really that crazy, that i appreciate their position on gun-ownership a lot better and it turns out that they are actually ok

ETA: oh, yeah, and that sometimes i should probably just star, flag and keep my trap shut

edit on 8-12-2014 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

ETA: oh, yeah, and that sometimes i should probably just star, flag and keep my trap shut

The place would be boring if we all did that though wouldn't it!

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I`ve learned that most people will cling to their own preconceived ideas on any given topic no matter how many other logical options are presented to them.
I`m actually surprised that so many people are so set in their way of thinking that they refuse to entertain any other reasonable and logical options or opinions.
It`s a little bit scary to see so many people so fanatical in their beliefs on topics that have no direct impact on them.
being to fanatical about anything is never a good thing.
I suppose most people aren`t so fanatical, maybe sites like this tend to attract fanatics.
edit on 8-12-2014 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I've learnt that it's actually a whole lot better to be skeptical about things. Obviously, you need to be open minded as well (unless you're a believer in reptilians), but what I mean is I've learnt to never just accept something, instead try to find genuine facts before coming to a conclusion on any given topic.

We're either here to learn, or we're here to reaffirm our own already chosen beliefs. In my opinion anyway.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I have learned that a lot of people hate Christians and think Christians are dumb.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
That many people will gladly forgo substance, in order to sound clever.

If you are terribly rude to someone, your post will indeed be removed.

There really are people who's minds are so open, their brains have fallen out.

: )

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

edit on 8-12-2014 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join