It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

broadcast digital television sucks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I don't mean the programming or the content. That's a whole different kind of suck. I'm talking about the actual signal that ( almost) reaches my TV.

I live in an apartment building and every time a car drives by or my neighbor flushes the toilet or a bird poops in the wrong place, my picture gets all jumbled and starts making noises like a toy laser pistol. I even bought one of those super duper made for HD antennas but the improvement was marginal if at all.

True, the picture is much clearer when its not messing up. I used to get reception that was fuzzy or snowy but at least the damn thing stayed on the screen. Now I not only spend time looking for something I actually want to watch, I also have to hunt for a channel I CAN watch. I actually cheered the other day when I found both at the same time.

And, no, I am NOT going to pay for cable or satellite or any of that crap. I am not going to pay good money to get better reception on piss poor programming.

My next rant will probably be compact fluorescent bulbs. I can definitely see that one coming.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

Get a Roku, then thank me later.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I haven't watched a television since before the conversion, but I did have DirecTV in the early 2000s. If the signal is anything like that, which any sort of rain or snow messing with service, I'm not sad that I gave up broadcast and cable.

Also, as was previously stated, Roku.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlephBet

Get a Roku, then thank me later.

One post I can definitely agree with you on.

N3k9Ni, you've obviously got Internet access..if it's of decent quality at all, Roku.com will provide solid image quality and plenty of content options for free and decent rates for more beyond that.
edit on 12/7/2014 by Praetorius because: Stupid IOS keyboard

edit on 12/7/2014 by Praetorius because: Same

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
digital receiver has to deal with a shorter wavelength, going over a further distance with no tcp/ip to rebroadcast due to lost. in a nutshell, analog was better cause the larger wave length allowed more room for the data to actually come in and be received, and if it didn't you got snow. Alas people wanted the wavelength for transferring data on there phones, and therefore the digitial conversion was government mandated to free up the frequency that tv paid for in the 1920-60's to make room for the cell phone revolution. got to take the good with the bad I guess. though I do here what your saying.

Camain

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
I don't mean the programming or the content. That's a whole different kind of suck. I'm talking about the actual signal that ( almost) reaches my TV.

I live in an apartment building and every time a car drives by or my neighbor flushes the toilet or a bird poops in the wrong place, my picture gets all jumbled and starts making noises like a toy laser pistol. I even bought one of those super duper made for HD antennas but the improvement was marginal if at all.

True, the picture is much clearer when its not messing up. I used to get reception that was fuzzy or snowy but at least the damn thing stayed on the screen. Now I not only spend time looking for something I actually want to watch, I also have to hunt for a channel I CAN watch. I actually cheered the other day when I found both at the same time.

And, no, I am NOT going to pay for cable or satellite or any of that crap. I am not going to pay good money to get better reception on piss poor programming.

My next rant will probably be compact fluorescent bulbs. I can definitely see that one coming.

When you say you bought one of those super duper made for HD antennas, Im betting it's an inside one?

No go joe.

you need one that goes outside and sits on the perch for the boidies.

Sorry to say, NO indoor digital antenna cuts it. I tried dozens. I spent more than I did for the damn set top box when we switched.

In the end? I have a $15 wobbly rubbish plastic made put together yourself ignore the left over screws job, stuck on a broom stick, gaffa taped to the flu of the thing on the roof... and I have never had an issue.

you need to get it up high, not indoors at all.

and if, by some sad chance, yours is on the roof.

digital tv sucks.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I once bought HDTV memory stick for my laptop - reception was awful with the itty-bitty FM aerial and suction cup they provided. Plug in the coaxial connector to a professionally mounted external HD-TV aerial and the picture quality was perfect.
As far as programming goes, all I will say further is that the adverts were more entertaining than the shows.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Its where you are and what you watch it on. Go to 20 peoples houses and apartments...it will be received in any number of ways. All different. Therein is your answer.

Lets not discuss content and programming-we know that sucks... just viewing location, systems, electronic interference (near flight paths or electrical towers)...etc..etc...cars going by, cell phone interference with frequencies...running motors...even your blender in the kitchen can cause these effects.

Perhaps a better word would be AFFECTS (from things interfering).

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I agree!

most people thought we were taking a step forward by going to digital TV signals but in reality we have taken a giant leap backwards.

Digital TV is worse than the old rabbit ear anteneas we used when I was a kid,sure we didn`t have a crystal clear picture worthy of HD but at least we got to actually watch TV,even if it did have some static.
With digital you either get a picture or you don`t. like a light switch,on or off.
analog signals are like a dimmer switch, at least you ALWAYS get some light.

I would rather be able to actually watch a show,even with some static, than not be able to watch it at all.

I absolutely despise digital TV!

edit on 8-12-2014 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
I even bought one of those super duper made for HD antennas but the improvement was marginal if at all.

As sn0rch said, getting it high and outside is the most important thing. But if you can't there are still things you can do to improve.

Get it as far away from the TV, appliances, and metal as you can. Then experiment with rotation. At the HD frequencies, there's really no such thing as an omnidirectional antenna.

Often times, getting it at least 10 feet from the TV will be a HUGE improvement.

(I used to design antennas, way way back in the day)

new topics

top topics

join