It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge Orders Police To Stop Arresting 91-Year-Old Man For Feeding The Homeless

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Small victory against Insanity!

I'm pretty sure there were threads about the police arresting this 91 year old man in Florida for "shamelessly" feeding the homeless.

It seems there exists a judge with a shred of humanity and some common sense. (Can we elect this guy as president?)

A judge with a heart has ordered the City of Ft. Lauderdale to stop arresting people for feeding the homeless.

Circuit Court Judge Thomas Lynch issued his ruling after the city pursued charges against 91-year-old Arnold Abbott, a retired jeweler who has been feeding the homeless at the beach for twenty-three years. Mr. Abbott, a World War II vet, has been arrested at least three times since October 31, when the city passed an ordinance restricting where outdoor feeding sites can be located, requiring the permission of property owners, and demanding groups distributing food provide portable toilets.

The judge said no arrests for thirty days and ordered the city to participate in arbitration with the 91 year old. Imagine that, sitting down and actually discussing an issue and possible compromise solution - maybe the judge should issue an order to congress.

But, the city officials are not giving up the fight easily - the mayor said-

“We would prefer to enforce our municipal ordinances, but whether the judge was trying to take a little steam off the kettle, whether the judge was trying to give a little period of quiet during the holidays, I’m not sure what was the logic behind his decision.”

Maybe the logic behind his decision was that he saw the utter ridiculousness of the situation and was trying to be the voice of reason?

The county commissioner wasn't happy about the ruling either and complained that "media hype" is what brought this about. The audacity of the "non-compliant media" (aka - the internet).

Compliant media is soooo much easier to handle!

Because this guy is so obviously a menace -

www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Little acts of gentle civil disobedience like this are exactly what we need. Not violence, just gentle defiance in the face of insanity and evil.

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Although I applaud the judge, it will accomplish nothing if the law isn't changed.

Most likely the judge felt pressure, shame, pity or a combination of all but what will happen if someone else hands out food now? Will they receive the same treatment? And if not the problem only gets larger.

Strike the law is my vote. We should be able to give our food to whomever we want to. It's our food and we are only Doing what human beings should be Doing...Helping each other.

Having laws against helping those that are hungry is the most inhumane thing a society can have.

Peace

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This man is a hero and deserves to be elevated in societal status.
Every cop who has arrested him should be required by law to apologize.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I think such laws, enacted on local levels to do what federal laws are forbidden to do by constitution are creeping fascism.....
What makes it legal for city councils to abrogate the constitution??

link   
I think such laws, enacted on local levels to do what federal laws are forbidden to do by constitution are creeping fascism.....

link   

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Having laws against helping those that are hungry is the most inhumane thing a society can have.

We have so many insane laws because elected officials' job is to make laws, so they have to come up with some ridiculous stuff so they can say "I was responsible for the passage of x number of laws - I'm looking out for you". What we need to do is change the job description!

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Ok, starred your first and second posts, but started thinking you're a star wh*^# by the time I hit the third...j/k -
computer malfunction?

Fascism began as "creeping" is now sprinting. Brick wall needed.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Maluhia

This man is a good honest christian man and a truly decent person who does what he know's is right, god bless him and may he inspire many other's.
This case hilight's social injustice and anti christian prejudice verging on nazism by the officer's who arrested him, they should be truly ashamed and are beneath contempt for arresting this gentlemam in the first place.
God bless that judge also.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
What's sad is you need a judge to rule on common sense, and understanding basic compassion for the homeless. Even though there's a ridiculous law on the books, the police didn't need to enforce it. I can't believe the police can't think for themselves and realize when it's not appropriate to harass or arrest someone who isn't causing any harm to the public.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
So, where do the homeless he has been feeding take a dump?

Compassion is a great thing but handing out food under the wrong circumstances doesn't necessarily help the situation. The law makes sense though the enforcement is probably overboard. It did get the court's attention though.

Commissioner Sharief complained about what she called the “media hype” over the city's new homeless laws, insisting the city still allows the distribution of food - just through institutions that can do it without affecting the quality of life in the city.

The mayor did say the city will abide by the judge's order and he hoped Mr. Arnold would too:

“We’ve been trying to find some amicable resolution. We hope that Mr. Abbott meets us half way. We’ve asked him to meet us half way in the past.”

www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...

edit on 12/6/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
They haven't won yet, the law needs to be changed. Now, could you imagine being forced to sit next to these power hungry draco beings and discuss this. I'd be like, "Don't talk to me or I'll be forced to perform a citizens arrest on murder incorporated rogue agents who are violating the constitution and seriously harming others I do not endorse you nor do I give you any authority over me or to enact unlawful laws over me. I will not obey evil beings! I will arrest them for Serve and Protect is the first principle. Will not compromise. Nothing to say. Will go on doing the right thing. Convert. Stand in the corner and paint a big fat zero on your head, for you haven't made the hero status, and ask Source for help because you need a heck of a lot of it!" That is the kind of thing I say to crooked power abusers. I don't like them. I won't tolerate their presence or abuse of huamnity. Now I know most don't speak up like that, but I do.

I find it amazing that people actually elect these beings who are dripping with the blood of innocents, and have full intentions before they get your vote of seriously harming as many as they can. They're evil incorporated. And you don't even get in the position to be elected unless you are all of that and more. I don't vote. But no judge on earth would get me to sit down with any of these sell outs to humanity and all souls.

And speaking up is what everyone has to do. You never follow bad orders, and all laws that violate your freedom are null and void at conception. They don't exist. They're a bad order by a bully psychopath and you have to choose to either ignore or somehow take him to justice for being an abuser of his position. One or the other.
edit on 6-12-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Where do the homeless he hasn't been feeding take a dump ...really?

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Maybe in the portable toilets that the law requires those groups who are feeding the homeless within the law supply?

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Phage we all see your point but these poor people are HUMAN BEING's not animal's, would it not be cheaper for the police to provide a free shower and toilette facility, policed of course to avoid abuse than the city paying for a clean up, yes the beach is a source of revenue for the city as it is an international tourist destination and these poor people are seen as a loss of revenue but once again they are HUMAN being's not animal's.
So why not provide social housing for them away from the beach as in the long run that too would be far cheaper.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Phage we all see your point but these poor people are HUMAN BEING's not animal's
I know they are not animals. I see many homeless every day. I give them money on occasion. On other occassions I offer to buy them a meal (which offer has been turned down on at least one occassion). I also see what they leave behind.

So why not provide social housing for them away from the beach as in the long run that too would be far cheaper.
There are such a thing as homeless shelters. Guess what? A lot of homeless don't like them because of the rules. Rules like no drinking or drugs. Rules like curfews.

There are a lot of different kinds of people who are homeless. Giving them a place to congregate (for meals) and offering them nothing else may sound like a really nice thing to do but it does nothing to correct the problem of either the homeless themselves or the community.

www.homelessshelterdirectory.org...

edit on 12/6/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Interesting, but we all know it's about money. So, who supplies the legal potties? Investigation needed - I'm going to guess it's someone close to the "law"". Again, really?

edit on 6-12-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Investigation needed

Go for it:
www.google.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

In that locality a high percentage are probably illegal immigrant's who dumpster dive for food etc, a lare percentage probably suffer mental problem's also and there really should be a safety net to protect such people, it is truly dangerous being homeless and all manor of criminals exploit them as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join