It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adware infection through ...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hi, I enjoyed using Firefox but I had to quit using it. I was getting adware called notification ads or something like that. I tried several ways to stop it but I couldn't. So, I stopped using firefox and I have not been infected since.

A bit ago I was getting these ad by notification adware but I didn't know where it was coming from. First I checked to see if it was an add-on or it was installed in my programs but it wasn't. I checked both IE and firefox. I deleted all my cookies; ran several malware and spyware programs including Malwarebytes, superantispyware and IOBITs Advanced Care system... all to no avail... I kept getting infected...

And often I was not here when it happened. So, I sat one day with the wife and watched her. She loves to play spade at pogo.com. She proceeded to go into a game room and start a game and played for a bit then the Adobe pop-up player would crash and then we became infected again .... I cleaned the machine and went back... another crash another infection...

???????

Is it me or is it Memorex? LOL

I have been using IE and I don't have that problem. I try to keep my computer relatively secure but I am question that now.

Could I have been attacked through the Adobe Flashplayer that resets permissions or something else?

Could it be that Pogo.com is being used as a conduit of attacks by hackers or government? ... on this we have seen where a "watcher" will come into the game and go from hand to hand and then the whole game crashes.....

I am no expert but I'm no dummy either .... anybody got a clue?

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
sounds like it may be on that pogo.com site ive been using google chrome for a few years and the biggest problem i have is that it randomly quits but when i reopen it it always restores any tabs i had open when it quit.i dont have much experience with firefox. have you tried chrome yet?

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Yes, I have tried Chrome but I was trying to stay from it. Thanks for asking ...

a reply to: Rabb420

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
More than likely one of those games has infected your browser. it could possibly be one of your ad ons though. I use firefox and have never had that problem. I have had things I've download infect my browser before. I just uninstall then reinstall it. Easy peasy

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Download disconnect as your first line of defense.

Scroll to bottom of page and you'll see the free version link. It will stop all the junk content that comes with sites like Pogo.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The problem with aggressive adware is that it is designed to be very adept at avoiding deletion. Sure you can run antivirus programs that locate the files and delete them. But good adware these days silently infects other files, creating a back-up of itself. You delete it, it returns.

Also a lot of adware is triggered by certain ad cookies - legit cookies that trigger the malicious code.

If you're going to rely upon antivirus to clean, you're also going to need a good registry cleaner, like CC Cleaner and a bit of patience - as it can take a few stabs before you finally slay the adware dragon.

Protip for the future: External HD's are dirt cheap these days. You can pick up a 1Tb for about fifty bucks. Backing up to such a drive every week or so gives you a way to restore a machine back to good - should the cooties ever come and overpower it.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
that's why I don't use Windows...
can Safari for Windows provide you with some more protection? IDK, but it's certainly safe on Mac!

-
since 2010 I've been using a Mac and no issues with malware thus far

edit on 6-12-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: fnpmitchreturns

you guys don't get on that worldwinner site pogo advertises. do you?

that site is spammy. even if you click on it accidently, you will get ads that won't go away and almost impossible to get rid of.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
Download disconnect as your first line of defense.

Scroll to bottom of page and you'll see the free version link. It will stop all the junk content that comes with sites like Pogo.

Nevermind
edit on 12/6/14 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: proob4

Disconnect is legit. Running two different antivirus/antitracking programs can cause havok to occur - as you're seeing. Simply delete the Disconnect, via your control panels "Add - Remove software" and all should be fine.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Disconnect is legit. Running two different antivirus/antitracking programs can cause havok to occur - as you're seeing. Simply delete the Disconnect, via your control panels "Add - Remove software" and all should be fine.

Thanks, and yea i did that all seems good now. Did not realize it was anti virus and would clash?

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Yes. They tend to see each other as malicious software and they attack one another.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Hi Heff, I have cleaned my registry many times, checked add-ons ... programs, deleted all my temp files, cookies and such manually and with registry checkers .... I have malwarebyte and a few other malware programs yet none would ever find anything until I was at pogo. Even using IE this doesn't happen. I would think that IE would have a problem if firefox did....

thanks ... I even let Mozilla site know what was happening but never got back to me

I have used CCcleaner in the past and found it as effective as malwarebytes ...

reply to: Hefficide

edit on 6-12-2014 by fnpmitchreturns because: add

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Originally that is what I thought was happening ... the wife clicking on ads or pop-ups which did it .... that was why I did myself after seeing it happen to her ....... I wonder if this a general flaw in Adobe Flash that is being exploited .....

a reply to: thishereguy

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

There is currently malware that uses that MO to infect a system. I'll have to dig up some info, but it installs by creating a very real looking "Update your Flash now" pop-up.

Here is a link that might be helpful.

edit on 12/6/14 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
HI, I have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox several times but always get re-infected ... The only place online that I have ever had that issue is Pogo .... I can surf all day watch movies and browse at will until I get into Pogo ....

a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Thank you, I'll add that to my defensive package ....

a reply to: ColeYounger

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I know Heff. The only thing that the wife has learned is "don't click on anything that pops up" since I always have pop-up blockers on we shouldn't get them

a reply to: Hefficide

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Regarding Flash - I'd have to do research. Being a Linux user means I don't use Flash. I use a variant not made by Adobe. I have Win partitions on all my machines, but rarely ever open them. I'll see if I can find anything out for you of substance.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I would recommend exactly what Heff said about the external Hd. You keep all of your files on the external HD such a document, pics, etc. But keep your download file on your pc, with direct scanning from your antivirus.

A reinstall of windows is recommended after a bad infection most of the time. It's almost futile to try and find the culprit.

When you reinstall, don't just insert disc, and reinstall, some can carry over to next install... jump into your setup screen before windows opens by pushing esc,f1,f2 or model specific key. then change boot order to boot from disc...when it asks where to install, format the drives first, then install.

When your install is done and have installed all of your software etc...go to system settings, windows backup and create system image. place it on the external HD. The image will save all of your settings.

If you start getting weird activity, and can't fix it, you can restore from image very quickly and all of your docs, pics, etc will already be on the extHD.

Firefox is much more secure than IE, in my opinion, just watch that you don't get a bunch of add-ons you don't need.

I avoid freeware like the plague, but if you must, try and pull it from good sources.
majorgeeks.com and mybleepingcomputer.com have some good ones, but watch 3rd party dwnd sites that offer free dwnlds that are offered on the software's official site. Ive gotten nailed by softpedia a few times this way.
Hijackthis can find nasty BHO's and other browser hijacking problems that a lot of good programs miss.

Also in windows user accounts, set your UAC (User account controls) to "Strict", this will stop a lot of sneaky programs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join