It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Apple rigging iOS to sell more phones?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I paid $350+ for and IPod a few years ago and hate it so much it is now a very expensive digital clock that sits on my desk heh. All my phones and now my tablet are Android and I love it. I had an HTC Evo for over 3 years which I just gave to my mom and it still works great, I just wanted a better camera/more on phone storage space. Now I have a Samsung Galaxy S3(which I got for $120.00 after the 5 came out) and a Samsung Tab 4 7in.

My daughter has the S4 or 5 and except for a few minor things my phone is exactly the same as hers. But mine cost like 90% less heh. Oh and I don't think she can replace her battery. Of course being paranoid I also want this ability if I just want to turn the damn thing OFF lol.

My Mom has an IPad and I HATE that thing. She is always asking "Why can't it do this?", "What's wrong with it?", "Fix this please", "Why can't I get that cool app you have?" etc etc etc. Or something my phone or tab will do and I tell her it's cause she insisted on a POS Apple product lol.

When her Tablet dies, which it is quickly doing after only 2 years.. the battery won't hold a charge anymore, and this is her 3rd IPad for the same reason, the others got replaced on warranty... IN 2 YEARS!!!.. THIRD IPad!! Hello that just sucks. I am buying her an android. Period. Never will an Apple product enter this house again. My IPod has to be perma plugged in for the same reason, which among other things is why I HATE it! And this started within months of buying the damn thing.

I carry spare batteries and a charger, if my phone dies when I'm out for a long time I can swap them out. Or if the battery just dies period, same. My tablet will hold a charge for so long I sometimes forget to charge it.

Although when I went to get my new phone I noticed more androids are doing the whole 'You can't remove your battery' BS now. Maybe I should just go buy an extra for 'just in case' lol.

/Hugs her Android phone and Tablet.

Lil

OH and for cases buy an Otter Defender!!! I ran over my HTC with a 1/4 ton pickup truck and the phone? NOT A SCRATCH on it!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Vamana

With that being said, Iphones have the lowest return rate to manufacturer for defect in the first 18 months, than any other.

The industry standard is about 30 to 35 percent. Apple sits at about 12 to 17.

One of the primary reasons is that they don't change hardware or software platforms from year to year. Making it more stable overall.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I don't think that is a real number, but manufactured by Apple because EVERYONE I know (in other words a LOT) who has IPhones have returned them frequently because of the whole battery not holding a charge after 5 minutes of owning it thing.

When I took my Mom's IPad back for the third time there were 5 people in line with IPhones or IPads for the same damn reason. In a smallish town, in one Best Buy.

I can't imagine it is only happening here unless it is the desert making them all go dead. My 2 co-workers phones last like 2 hours max on a charge. I went on a trip with my boss and she had to plug her phone in every couple of hours. I plugged my phone in 4 times, and that was with me using it almost constantly the whole time keeping her entertained while she drove lol.

Lil

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Funny you bring this up because I've been suspicious of this very thing since the iPhone came out.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

and here I was beginning to think I was going MORE crazy!! I told my husband that I thought Apple was forcing people to upgrade and buy expensive new phones by making the older "models"start working slower and worse.

I bought an I-phone 4 just last year...I am on a no contract service and have to pay full price for a phone and I think buying a $600 phone is INSANE.....so...the I-phone 4 goes on sale and I buy it for under $200......I both it exactly a year ago....
about a month ago (?) I was FORCED....(yes I wrote forced), to upgrade to the newest operating system. I kept getting the update notices, but don't like to be told what to do and my phone was working just fine the way the OLD operating system had been working. Then all of a sudden my Facebook starts to crash....then my Google app....then other screwy things until only the phone and text function worked properly....so i HAD to upgrade....now my phone works MUCH slower....I don't even bother going online with it except to check maybe Facebook or look up an address.....

I now want to get a new phone, (my hubby has a flip-phone and is ALWAYS asking to use MY phone to map a trip or look up some random thing on Google), because I tire of the slow as AOL in the mid 90's speeds.......but I shudder to think f buying a $600+ phone that will just end up being junk when the latest and greatest iPhone comes out.....(I DO like, though, how I can "sync up" with my MacAir tho......so...questions...questions.......

but I'm glad to know I wasn't just going insane...

Peace, Ya'll

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Lilroanie

I don't think that is a real number, but manufactured by Apple because EVERYONE I know (in other words a LOT) who has IPhones have returned them frequently because of the whole battery not holding a charge after 5 minutes of owning it thing

That's mostly related to user error. Regarding multi-tasking apps etc.

It is certainly a real figure, I worked for years in telecom and still have friends who work for major ISP's, so I see the return rate figures.

Also, the return rate is based on TOTAL sales of Iphones. If you sell a million Iphones, and a hundred thousand come back defective, that's only 10%. The other 900 thousand work just fine.

Just remember there are far more people who complain when stuff doesn't work, as opposed to those who praise it when it does.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I guess, but I'd still rather own devices that I can replace the battery in and have access to a ton more apps for free and have the speed and have memory storage be expandable and all the other things you can't do on and Apple and all reasons I think Apple products suck.

Unless you do heavy graphics or music or whatever and need to own a Mac computer, I'll never understand why "I" anything is so popular.

And as for user error, how come my mom can do MORE on my 3+ year old HTC which still has the original battery in it than she does on her IPad which has to pretty much be perma plugged in because it will only run about 10 minutes while she reads in Kindle unplugged? She needs a device to read her books and magazines etc easily anymore which is why she let the salesperson talk her into the POS IPad because the screen was bigger... Le sigh

I finally broke down and got her a Kindle Paper White and she's almost ready to give up her IPad. I just have to convince her she will be able to more, easier with just about any non Apple device. And that she won't lose her stupid Candy Crush game lol.

On the plus side she was asking me about getting her a new tablet the other day so maybe she's ready. Whoo hoo Christmas present incoming and it won't even cost me $600+ bucks and it will be more reliable and all that good stuff lol.

Lil

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lilroanie
My Mom has an IPad and I HATE that thing. She is always asking "Why can't it do this?", "What's wrong with it?", "Fix this please"

That's a common theme among Apple users. Most notably in the PC Tech world. I see so many complaints why someone can't do this or that with their Apple PC, and I keep telling them they should've bought a Windows PC.

I personally don't understand why someone would buy a product where the manufacturer deliberately limits what you can or can't do on your device.

For instance when Apple banned Adobe Flash from iPads and iPhones, limiting the web experience for Apple's mobile users. Even a year after Apple's decision to ban Flash,
  • 98% of enterprises rely on Flash Player.
  • 85% of the most used sites use Flash.
  • 75% of web video is viewed using Flash Player.
  • 70% of web games are made in Flash.

Those numbers aren't too far off even today.

Either way, it's a very poor business decision which not only hurt it some customers, it also prompted an investigation by the FTC and EU regulators into Apple's ban of Adobe Flash.

Apple should really start worrying in the coming months and years. While Apple is making alot of money through ridiculously-overpriced hardware, they continue to lose customers to a better mobile experience. Android OS already has the market-share in number of users, and number of downloaded apps versus Apple.

And with native gaming coming to Linux at an accelerated rate (finally), there won't be much need for Apple products (or Windows for that matter) anymore. Android (a lighter version of Linux) and Linux for PC (Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) will be the future. It's open-source, and very secure.

It's nice having an Android device where I can view the entire web with native Adobe Flash that works like a charm. A device where I can upgrade, downgrade or tweak the operating system to my liking (developer supported).

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

i am sorry, but I am not using flash and I don't need it, I haven't needed it in years... I can remember once... once I went to Audi's website and I couldn't quite see the pictures properly and stuff, but they fixed it later because as we know... the vast majority of folks driving luxury Audi do own an iPhone as well.

flash is a disease, drains battery, makes computer's fans go crazy, overwhelms graphics and cpu
actually it's a very old piece of rubbish, it might have served us for a while, okay, fair enough...those times are gone though and HTML5 is a lot better in almost any way I can think about.

flash is a broken malfunctioning piece of crap which is very very vulnerable...
& Steve Jobs was right about that...

the only possible malware you can get on a Mac computer is either from Java or Adobe's Flash.

those who use fruity computers gotta agree with me. windows users probably never tried so they keep on talking the cliché stories...

no intentions to offend or attack you or anyone else, just sayin'
edit on 6-12-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Necrose
flash is a disease, drains battery, makes computer's fans go crazy, overwhelms graphics and cpu

That may be the case for antiquated and very low-end hardware, as was the case even 4 years ago, but not so much today. Adobe continues to update and improve Flash.

Does Flash crash? Sure does, just like any other operating system or piece of software. But aside from the occasional crash, it works perfectly fine on my Android phone and PC. No fans going crazy, no large CPU/GPU spikes.

And I use Flash alot to watch say CNN live, or Twitch TV streaming on my phone. iPhone has to have special apps just to watch Twitch TV or CNN (if CNN even can be watched live on iPhone). I can watch them natively on my Android tablet or phone, just like on a PC. I can also go to any local news stations and watch their broadcasts live from my Android phone. Can you do that from an iPhone? No you cannot unless that particular station has already adopted the HTML5 video standard. But most still use Flash.

That was one of the major selling points back then. That Flash player would work natively on Android devices. That was years ago and it still works perfectly to this day.

Of course HTML5 is better in every way. But most websites are far too slow to implement HTML5 video in place of Flash video. And Flash still dominates videos and games on the internet. Until HTML5 becomes the dominator, Flash will continue to be relevant.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The idea that an iPhone 4 that is powerful enough to run sophisticated 3D rendering software, cannot run an OS at a reasonable speed due is ridiculous.

Also the fact that Apple does not allow you to roll back to a previous iOS version is also ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Cornczech

Its not a coincidence that so many people are saying the same thing.

I cannot believe a sophisticated multi-billion dollar company as big as Apple can miss these very obvious HUGE BUGS/problems on their own hardware that they designed. There is no way..

To release a software version to such a huge mass of people, they have to do some extensive testing on a broad range of phones and services..

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I have an iPhone 4s, upgraded to 8.1.1, sometimes it works sluggishly, but nothings broken on it, wifi works fine, no issues. I just reboot it every few days, delete all texts over 30 days and no issues

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Yes it's called planned obsolescence.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Yes it's called planned obsolescence.

Gah!

I read the OP and was -just- going to post this term when I saw your post.

en.wikipedia.org...

Another link for those curious about this practice.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKatAlso the fact that Apple does not allow you to roll back to a previous iOS version is also ridiculous.

This is quite a standard practise,they like to keep on top of security to stop people jailbreaking the phones

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

I actually thought this was standard knowledge and was surprised it took til page 2 for someone to say this.

Threads:
IPhone 4 home button: planned obsolescence, or just poor design.
Apples Planned Obsolescence
Fun fact: I only typed planned obsolescence in the ATS search and the first two threads were about Apple and planned obsolescence.
edit on 7-12-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
The secret to happiness is never to upgrade to the first version of a big release from Apple.

Wait. It'll be ok. Just wait. Let the suckers load the first version and find all the big bugs.

This ^^^^^^.All Apple fanboys are sooooooo impatient to get it and be able to brag that they're first person with Ios 722,336.1.4.6.7 that they're waiting up and have to start downloading it the nanosecond it's available from Apple.A couple of things will go wrong here.The first one is that they'll be 100 trillion other impatient Appelites all trying to download it at the same time,and of course even the mighty Apple's servers are going to collapse under the strain,with a very real chance that any download will be corrupted resulting in a bricked iPhone.

Also as above the first version will never have been properly tested anyway before being released.It's not just Apple though,it can be the same with any big corporation providing software updates for their consumer electronic products.When I bought my Canon EOS20D DSLR Canon provided a very early update that was purely a language thing that wouldn't affect most users anyway.But of course lots of people thought it would make them look dead cool if they did a software update on a week old camera whether the language problem affected them or not.When installed,most of the cameras either became almost impossible to use,while the rest were totally bricked and had to go back to Canon to be bought back to life again.

The moral of this is to never ever get software updates until you've had some feedback about it,once you know it's safe,then you can be the envy of your friends who will of course judge you based on how up to date your phone's operating system is.
edit on 7-12-2014 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2014 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
With windows you don't even need to upgrade the OS to screw your machine.

A freind of mine had a well old PC running XP and never connected it too the internet for years and years, it worked fine for him.

One day he wanted to download something and connected to the internet to get the movie but windows updates were turned on and then after that everything on his machine worked slow.

in winodws 8 you cannot stop updates by turning them off in the control panel because it turns itself back on and you need to disable the widows update service to stop this happening.
edit on 7-12-2014 by VirusGuard because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: VirusGuard

That's because Microsoft suspended service for Windows XP this past year trying to get everyone to upgrade to Windows 7 or above (it backfired and update service has resumed a bit). Windows XP came out in 2000. It is currently the end of 2014 and people are STILL using it (half the computers at my work have it). Say what you want about Microsoft, but that is service. Windows 8 does suck though.
edit on 7-12-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join