It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Apple rigging iOS to sell more phones?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
This is just a hunch, and I have had conversations with other people and they feel the same way, and had the same exact incidents.

Back when I had the iPhone 4, after it first came out, it was working fine and everything was OK. I really liked my phone and it worked fluidly.

About the time the iPhone 5 came out, they released an upgrade version for iOS, so I downloaded it and installed it.

After that upgrade, my phone worked like crap. It was slow as #. Unbelievable.. to the point where it was practically unusable.

Now how is this possible? A phone that can run processor intensive real time 3D rendering games cannot run a simple operating system?

---

Ok well, this incident resulted in me upgrading my phone to a iPhone 5S because I could not downgrade to the old iOS version since Apple did not allow you to.

---

OK now I have the iPhone 5S and it is working fine for the most part.

Now at about the time the iPhone 6 comes out, they have another iOS upgrade. I upgrade the iOS, now it does not connect to my car and a few other minor problems.

Another upgrade comes out (the latest one), and now my phone will go to "No Service" or "No Sim" several times a day. I notice it happens at specific times. Again forcing me to have to do something about it.

I have gone to forums and tons of people are having the same problem, (which are never addressed by Apple) and these problems suspiciously occur during a new iPhone release, and definitely begin/correspond with a new iOS upgrade.

Other people I have met expressed the same exact thing.

Have other people here experienced something similar?

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Ok well, this incident resulted in me upgrading my phone to a iPhone 5S because I could not downgrade to the old iOS version since Apple did not allow you to.

Now at about the time the iPhone 6 comes out, they have another iOS upgrade. I upgrade the iOS, now it does not connect to my car and a few other minor problems.

I think you just answered your own question. Sales.
Why are people so Hell bent on IPhones anyway? Do they do something all the others don't? I know several people who have them, but never owned one myself and I don't have nearly the problems they do with my HTC One. Matter of fact, I have no troubles at all with it. If it upgrades, it keeps working just like always.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

I remember when i downloaded ios7 and it ran like crap,but then they released another update and it solved everything,so maybe thats whats happened? i havent been able to update to ios8 because the wifi died on my iphone4s and i rarely get a 3g signal.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
no I have never bought anything new from apple ever and frankly I believe using dodgy operating systems to sell more phones seems legit after all apple have been solid for years they have a rep for it they may as well capitalise on that rep and start releasing garbage to make even more profit apples followers will buy anything they produce anyway.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I think it's far more likely that when a major OS revision (which is designed to take full advantage of the latest hardware) is installed on hardware from a generation or two ago, especially when it first comes out, that there will almost inevitably be some unforseen bugs and performance issues. Happens all the time. If you want to update to the newest software and not have any issues, without waiting a while after its' release for the bugs to be ironed out, then get the newest hardware to go with it. If you don't want to shell out for new hardware, wait a month or two before updating. Or, you know, get an Android and avoid the problem altogether.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
When the iOS 7.1 update came out, both my mother-in-law and brother-in-law had iPhone 4s's and when they upgraded it fried their wifi chips rendering their phones almost pointless. They contacted Apple and were both told that they needed to purchase new phones because their warranty was up. What kind of crap is that? I did some research online and I seen other folks with the same issues with no help from Apple. Mainly with the iPhone 4s

I had an iPhone 4 and luckily had not upgraded. I was scared too. I shouldn't be freaking scared to install a factory update like that. I promptly switched to a Galaxy Note 3 and have been happy ever since.

I agree 100% with your suspicions. I do feel as well that Apple is intentionally killing off a percentage of the older phones when new ones are released to further their sales. Just enough of them to stay under the radar and not rouse suspicions.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I had several android phones before getting an iphone from work, would not buy an iphone personally. You simply can do so much more on android.

The work phone is a 4s, and I haven't experienced any slow downs with updates though.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

The only way Apple is rigging iOS is to create more Android users.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: SgtHamsandwich
When the iOS 7.1 update came out, both my mother-in-law and brother-in-law had iPhone 4s's and when they upgraded it fried their wifi chips rendering their phones almost pointless. They contacted Apple and were both told that they needed to purchase new phones because their warranty was up. What kind of crap is that? I did some research online and I seen other folks with the same issues with no help from Apple. Mainly with the iPhone 4s

I had an iPhone 4 and luckily had not upgraded. I was scared too. I shouldn't be freaking scared to install a factory update like that. I promptly switched to a Galaxy Note 3 and have been happy ever since.

I agree 100% with your suspicions. I do feel as well that Apple is intentionally killing off a percentage of the older phones when new ones are released to further their sales. Just enough of them to stay under the radar and not rouse suspicions.

Thats interesting because my wifi chip is also broke,i started having problems with it around the same time i downloaded that update ,it kept cutting out on me before eventually dying.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

This is related to hardware, not Apple ruining an OS for previous Iphones.

If you own an Iphone that's 2 generations behind, the hardware is unlikely to fully support the new platform.

It will run slow and have multiple issues because the hardware is not up to par and Apple isn't going to actually patch EVERY single problem for previous versions of their hardware.

It would be silly, considering more than 40% of their user base upgrade to newer hardware within 6 months of release.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I have upgraded to ios7.1.1 but have not done the 8.1. I dId notice after doing the upgrade I did that my battery seemed to drain faster but it still works on my iPhone 4s. My carrier contract soon ends and I really don't want to get locked I to a new one. The 8.1 upgrade is supposedly a 4s fix but I am not sure what it will do to my phone which at this time is still working and both my kids have iPhones and we text back and forth often. Strange when I put in iPhone on my android tablet the word complete brought up "iPhone 7.1 ends".

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The secret to happiness is never to upgrade to the first version of a big release from Apple.

Wait. It'll be ok. Just wait. Let the suckers load the first version and find all the big bugs.

In a larger sense, this is why we are still running Win 7 at work. In order to qualify a new OS, we have to run a metric crapton of test programs to make sure that we're not getting freaky new bugs out of our engineering software. Sometimes they are subtle. Backtesting an OS takes a ton of time and effort. But if you don't, you get something like what you're seeing with the phone, only we make planes crash or the like instead.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

There is an enormous market for Iphones on the second tier market. Example: my youngest son worked/saved to buy an Iphone 4s, cash. He uses Virgin Mobile (the rest of the house uses another second tier carrier) because at the time they were the only one with the iphone. The 4s worked well for him for about a year and a half. We had the battery replaced, and the lock button replaced, about 8 months ago. My son uses his phone a lot, and it was just worn out.

About 3 months ago I bought him a 5c to replace his 4s. again, it works smashingly for him. Not a single problem. Meanwhile, one of his friends whose parents are either broke or just not wiling to spend money on him...we gave him the 4s so he would have a phone. His parents let him get it activated, and he pays the $60 a month for it. It still works well for him. Yesterday he was over here after school watching videos on it.

My recommendation: if you think IOS is the problem, jail break your phone. Iphone is a rip off anyway. All the stuff you are paying for right now...you can get cheaper or free. Long live Zedge!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

if that's the case then it means Apple has terrible hardware on their phones or that iOS isn't as great as they claim.

my GS2 is still incredibly fast heck it is probably 2 times faster than the day I purchased it like 3 years ago thanks to upgrades, this phone originally shipped with v2.3.4 (Gingerbread) and the last "Official" supported version update is v4.1 (Jelly Bean) which is already quite old.

so if we go by that case hardware wise my phone should barely run the latest Android properly if at all it would be slow like the iPhone are experiencing.

I am currently running the latest 5.0.1 Lollipop and it is mind-boggling fast with improved battery life as far as I noticed with only a few bugs remaining that the developers have yet to fix, bless their hearts!.

Apple money grab at it's finest where people are afraid to upgrade to the latest OS version fearing it will screw up their devic.
edit on 6 12 2014 by Vamana because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Yes, but I think something came out where Apple either said point blank they were trying to get people off the 4/4s, or it was leaked that was their plan. By the time the 6 dropped, I think they had already said they weren't supporting the 4/4s at all, period.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Vamana

if that's the case then it means Apple has terrible hardware on their phones or that iOS isn't as great as they claim.

Both those things are true.

And always have been. The only good quality parts in your Iphone is the SSD and the camera.

so if we go by that case hardware wise my phone should barely run the latest Android properly if at all it would be slow like the iPhone are experiencing.

No because Android API's and software are built with older generation phones and mind. That and the fact that most manufacturers have a custom flavor of Android for each model that is built and pushed after the general release of the new Android.

That's why some android users have to wait to get updates.

Apple money grab at it's finest where people are afraid to upgrade to the latest OS version fearing it will screw up their devic.

That's what you get for being over priced, under performing hardware that has good software.

IOS is a GREAT operating system. It truly is. Any programmer worth anything can hardly argue the beauty in some of it. If we disregard the locked aspect of the build.

But the variety and quality of hardware available on Android is much better, considering the platform is open source and manufacturer's can do as they please.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Dont download the updates.

I never download the updates,

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I'm still using my jailbroken iphone 4, on IOS 5.1.1..
Most new apps don't work but screw that it does everything i want it to, and quickly too.
I don't get why some people buy a new phone almost every year, IMO there is always little difference.

But yeah.. it's commonly known iphones get slower the more firmware updates they receive, whether this is simply negligence or willful negligence i don't know, but no company does work that could decrease sales...

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I've had almost every iteration of the iPhone now owning the 6. I have never had any problems. Same with a couple iPads i've owned. In fact, I still use the 1st gen iPad regularly. It is true that you will usually see some sort of slow down when upgrading the iOS on an older device. I minimize problems by doing fresh installs each time there is a major upgrade.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

for the asked price one would expect Apple to also support older devices especially when they are also releasing the newer versions on older devices, but the real problem is sadly with the consumers who gladly fork over to get the "latest and greatest".

it is a great system honestly but the fact that it is closed is the main reason why it will never be an amazing system.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join