It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jerry Seinfeld CLIO acceptance speech, "Souless materialism"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well... i guess its easier to say these things when your rich. However considering he was a standup comedian for 15 years before making it big on his hit TV show maybe he actually have a pretty good perspective on the things he turns into satire during his acceptance speech. I really enjoyed it actually.

The 55th annual CLIO Awards, the most prestigious international advertising awards, were held in NYC. Whoopi Goldberg hosted the event, which also featured a performance by Aloe Blacc and lively acceptance speeches from CLIO Honorary winners Blondie (Debbie Harry and Chris Stein) and Jerry Seinfeld.

"I love advertising because i love lying"

"I think spending your life trying to dupe innocent people out of hard earned money to buy useless low quality misrepresented items and services is an excellent use of your energy!"

"I also think that just focusing on making money and buying stupid things is a good way of life."

"I believe materialism gets a bad rap."

"If your things dont make you happy, your not getting the right things"

Great speech, thanks Jerry.

edit on 12/5/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to: onequestion
Once you join the Club everything changes, Comedy is an act, so is this. I don't even need to hear it.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I may be thinking a bit too melodramatically but this seems more like a last speech before a suicide. It had that same vibe as Nirvana's music award show where Kurt Cobain spit into the camera and I felt his days were number then.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Lol imagine if he's the next celeb death/distraction?

How many weeks will that distract the public you think, about 2 weeks?

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Jerry Seinfeld makes more money in one year just on residuals than any of us will see in a lifetime. And he's lecturing us on materialism? It's a lofty perch, that's for sure.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Jerry Seinfeld makes more money in one year just on residuals than any of us will see in a lifetime. And he's lecturing us on materialism? It's a lofty perch, that's for sure.

So your saying that he does not live in a double wide trailer and drive a ten year old Buick? Inconceivable!

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

To the media clowns, politician clowns and the rest of them the little people don't matter. But they most certainly know how the little people should spend their money, how they should live and what defines material wealth. I love the show Seinfeld. Him, he's no better than Bill Gates and his "causes" in this instance.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo
I agree... Hope 'suicide' is not on the agenda... But, it looked to me like he was dealing with some issues in that acceptance.
I actually loved it.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

That's the old Jerry, making ironic fun of the most serious and most common things in daily life.
I guess he is feeling guilty after years of being a part of the system he dis'es.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Funny stuff!
He has aged quite a bit since the show..
Not that there's anything wrong with that

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Well done Jerry!

I do not care in the slightest that he is speaking truth even though he has wealth!

It is a message to everyone about the illusion of gaining happiness from material things, really a great way to express the old adage money can not buy happiness.

I am sure he has lived a life surrounded by fake people since his show hit it big, this was a dig at himself and those of hollyweird and how they literally sell themselves out!

How anyone made the jump to him being potentially "suicidal" is beyond me!
edit on America/ChicagoSaturdayAmerica/Chicago12America/Chicago1231amSaturday12 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

top topics

join