It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop fatally shoots unarmed black man in Phoenix

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Not posted yet? If so, bin it.

If not, add another to the list. This is getting pretty worrisome.

[Link]

A Phoenix police officer shot to death an unarmed black man during a struggle and authorities said the officer believed the individual had a gun, in the latest fatal incident amid national turmoil over the policing of black communities.
On Thursday night, some 200 demonstrators protested against the killing of 34-year-old Rumain Brisbon, marching to Phoenix police headquarters and blocking streets, broadcaster CBS5 reported.

Also, Family: Delay Autopsy of Man Shot by Police

The autopsy was scheduled for Friday morning, but Nora Brisbon wants an independent expert present for the examination of her son's body, according to court documents. Kratter said the expert they use is not available until Saturday.

"The police department keeps talking about transparency, but they're being anything but transparent," Kratter said. "They're rushing the autopsy through under the radar, and they won't bump it for one day to have somebody to observe."

Kratter said the family wants an independent witness because "the Phoenix Police Department works hand in hand" with the Maricopa County Medical Examiner's Office.

edit on 12/5/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I have a very simple solution to this "epidemic"...

Stop fighting the cops when they come to arrest you for committing a crime.
edit on 12/5/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Wow the media's really pushing that "rise up against white people" agenda.

The more we're divided the more oppressed we are.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yeah.

Apparently they mistook a pill bottle for a gun this time.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Better solution. Stop bending over to recieve your oppression.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

How is this even close to the Brown or Garner issues? From this initial report it sounds like the officer in question did everything possible to be as "by the book" as he could be. If the story pans out to be accurate, the officer called for backup, the subject ignored multiple attempts at verbal commands, ran, resisted, and acted as if he was armed. Officer fired two rounds, so there goes that whole "trigger happy" angle. Add to that drugs and a gun found in the vehicle. I'm perplexed as to how there can be a parallel drawn here.
edit on 5-12-2014 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Yep. That's the worrisome part. This was on our TV screens at work all day today, so I was kinda surprised it wasn't here yet, if only for posterity/record keeping. Maybe it is already and search just didn't come up with it for me.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

How is this even close to the Brown or Garner issues? From this initial report it sounds like the officer in question did everything possible to be as "by the book" as he could be. If the story pans out to be accurate, the officer called for backup, the subject ignored multiple attempts at verbal commands, ran, resisted, and acted as if he was armed. Officer fired two rounds, so there goes that whole "trigger happy" angle. Add to that drugs and a gun found in the vehicle. I'm perplexed as to how there can be a parallel drawn here.

Who said it was close?

To clarify, when I said add another, if anything, I meant add another shooting of an unarmed person. Not add another Brown or Garner.
edit on 12/5/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Yeah.

Apparently they mistook a pill bottle for a gun this time.

The evidence:

Two men selling drugs in an SUV. Officer rolls up and one of them starts digging around in the backseat.

Officer gives repeated commands to show their hands but they do not comply and start messing around with their waistbands instead.

One of the suspects runs and the officer pursues him, repeatedly giving commands to stop which are met with shouting and profanity.

Officer gets his hands on the suspect, who keeps going for his own waistband, the struggle causes them to stumble around and the officer loses his grip on the suspect. Suspect goes for his waistband again and the officer shoots him.

So let's recap what the suspect did wrong:
1-Selling drugs.
2-Ignored repeated commands to show his hands and comply.
3-Repeatedly went for his waistband, making the officer believe he was armed.
4-Ran from the officer.
5-Yelled and cursed at the officer when he was told to stop.
6-Fought with the officer.
7-Continued to go for his waistband during a struggle with the officer.

It sounds to me like the officer was very patient with a monumentally stupid individual right up until he felt he had no choice but to defend himself.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Who said it was close?

To clarify, when I said add another, if anything, I meant add another shooting of an unarmed person. Not add another Brown or Garner.

Noted. Still don't think its quite the same as, say, the Cleveland shooting, or the guy in Walmart, but I see your point.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
a reply to: Answer

Better solution. Stop bending over to recieve your oppression.

Oppression?

Selling drugs, aggressively resisting arrest, and appearing to go for a weapon are perfectly innocent activities and the police officer was just out to oppress this man because he's black?

Give me a break.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I can freaking read, Answer. And I am making NO judgement. Just posting it here, like I said, for posterity and maybe for later analysis, on a number of levels.

There are a hundred ways this can and probably will spin.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
On a general note, what's with the rabidity from some of you? And the putting of words in people's mouths?

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

People are tired of the racial double standards in this country.

Terms against white people are acceptable, terms against others aren't.

Black people scream racist if something goes wrong but have no problem accepting handouts from the white man.

They're supposedly the only victims of racism in this country.

They were the only people enslaved.

The only people who live in poverty.

About time this country has accountability for themselves, realizes if anyone keeps people down, it's themselves.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

On a general note, what's with the rabidity from some of you? And the putting of words in people's mouths?

For my part, I misunderstood the "add another" of your title. You clarified, I accepted it. All good bruh

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

The MSM has instilled enough cognitive dissonance into people to fill a bottomless pit.

Everybody's flipping out.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I can freaking read, Answer. And I am making NO judgement. Just posting it here, like I said, for posterity and maybe for later analysis, on a number of levels.

There are a hundred ways this can and probably will spin.

I'm sure you can read. However, there are many people who won't read the linked article and they'll post based on the thread title and the snippet that you posted in the OP.

I gave a rundown of the events hoping that people will actually pay attention to the facts before posting.

I quoted your post but I didn't say a single thing directed specifically at you.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The guy did have a gun, just not on him.. lol.. Police were called after someone saw this man selling drugs out of his SUV. When the police approached he ran off into the apartment complex and was apprehended. The "suspect" had his hands in his pockets,one hand around the pill bottle, the cop had put his hands over the suspects and felt what he thought was the handle of a gun (pill bottle) gripped in the suspects hand, the officer repeatedly told the suspect to keep his hands in his pockets, suspect took his hand out and got shot. If the guy really did have his gun on him it could have been the cop that was shot for doing his job, but a lot of people on ATS lately would most likely applaud that you sick bastards.

After searching the suspects SUV they found a hand gun and a jar full of weed.

Why is it so hard for some people to listen to the officers during these situations? If the guys would have listened and kept his hands in his pocket he would be in jail but still alive. it's quite simple really, tell the cop what you have in your hand and listen to his orders if you feel like you were wronged then state your case on your court date.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: kdyam

Why is it so hard for some people to listen to the officers during these situations? If the guys would have listened and kept his hands in his pocket he would be in jail but still alive. it's quite simple really, tell the cop what you have in your hand and listen to his orders if you feel like you were wronged then state your case on your court date.

That's the one catalyst for every one of these "unarmed black man shot by police" cases that people seem to ignore... a crime was committed and when the police arrived, the suspect tried to fight the officers.

The culture that endorses the "f*ck the police!" attitude and inspires noncompliance definitely deserves a portion of the blame for these incidents.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I'll be your first SnF Lu!

Cops are gonna keep doing their job despite the climate.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join