It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Emoticons or we riot!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Emoticons: posting a cute little turd just for the heck of it

The man who invented the emoticon claims the whole thing has gotten out of hand. In 1982, professor Scott Fahlman sent an electronic message to his colleagues at Carenegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh advising them on how best to clarify if they'd written something funny or not. "I propose the following character sequence for joke markers: :-)", the message ran. It continued, unnecessarily: "Read it sideways." In 2012, Fahlman is less chipper about his creation. He fears he has unleashed a monster.

I predict that, in the next 30 years, the use of emoticons will head in a direction that would have caused the 1982 version of Professor Fahlman to soil his drawers. I just don't know whether it would be in a good way or not. Such is the heady, fizzy state of the internet right now that sometimes I think we're on the verge of an entirely new mode of expression and communication. Other days I just think
(

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lilroanie
a reply to: antar

I think that Cat needs a thorough washing up; and a big hug after; and some tuna snacks, (if any heart trauma occurred). I don't use emoticons; they seem sinister and opaque (their blitheness of meaning is suspicious). I would like to see the scripts of 'Hamlet', 'Apocalypse Now', 'Elf" or 'National Lampoons Christmas Vacation' expressed only as ATS emoticons. Did not include any sneaky angst types; Bergmanesque/Woody Allen (too confusing or misconstrued as *aiding an enemy*).
edit on 6-12-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
a reply to: worldwatcher

yeah the
is the only good one.

We're not supposed to respond to mod actions!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join