It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon says China’s new hyper-sonic strike vehicle is "A Serious Threat"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Here is a pic from Chinese media of their test...

You have to use Google Translate if you want to read the story as it is in Chinese.
Source

According to "China Space News" reported that long dipropionate rocket Jiaokai Min, deputy commander, said "This year in September to November, the Long March II C rocket launch task to be performed four times at three stations launch two satellite launch center. "According to the current public record launch in September to November China launched a total of three No. 2 C rocket Long March, this may be a side December 2 2 C Long March rocket evidence. Description The launch delayed slightly longer than the scheduled time.

In addition, the microblogging Taiyuan residents photographed sky particular scene, a meandering "cloud band" hanging in the sky, the scene with the ground residents this year August 7 WU-14 emissions testing observed The scene is very similar.

It is speculated that three similar tests conducted so far, China's hypersonic aircraft are launched by a Long March 2 C carrier rocket, according to the edge of the atmosphere, " Qian trajectory "in the upper atmosphere a" bad deal "type of flight , due to the aircraft's unique aerodynamic design, its speed will not significantly attenuated, but remains about 7-8 times the speed of sound "gliding" flight. The first two trials, the aircraft flight direction and placement are presumably in western China traditions range missile tests, this should be no exception.

Of course, translating Chinese to English has its own quirks. Still trying to hunt down more information.

edit on 4/12/14 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
www.globalresearch.ca...
20x the speed of sound there

strap a bomb to it and lol

maby the speed arms race is on

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

That's the US HTV which has up to Mach 20 capability. The Chinese, in their own news say theirs is 7-8x the speed of sound or Mach 7- Mach 8.

We need some of the military aircraft members in here to sort this out.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

If the Pentagon is calling them a "serious threat" I would assume that these missiles are fast enough to dodge or out run our defenses? How long does it take a Mach 8 missile to go from China to the USA?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Foolish assumption IMO. What I mean is that after ww2 the US obtained german technology and kept our black ops projects well hidden from the public eye in the decades to follow. In 1993, Ben Rich, VP at Lockheed Martin Skunkworks gave a speech at UCLA and said that "we now have the technology to take ET home". Sure other countries can equal our technology, but this missile isn't an example of that. Peace

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

China has passed the third test aircraft WU-14 China held its third flight test of a new hypersonic aircraft gliding WU-14. As the representative of the Ministry of Defense of China, have passed the test this week as part of a strategic nuclear program in China, reports the newspaper "Sight" with reference to The Washington Free Beacon.

According to the publication, the new development is able to overcome missile defense (BMD) USA. The newspaper also reports that during the test flight WU-14 observed the US intelligence services. In January 2014 the US media quoted Pentagon reported that China conducted the first flight test of a new hypersonic aircraft gliding. Then the media reported that, "officials said, hypersonic, apparently designed to run on one of the intercontinental ballistic missiles, to then toward the goal of near-Earth space close he could plan and develop speed up to ten times superior speed sound. "

Later, in July 2014, it was reported that China is developing a hypersonic cruise missile jet in addition to hypersonic planner machine WU-14. It has been reported that the Chinese development is similar to the experimental hypersonic unmanned aerial vehicle X-43, developed by NASA. According to published information, the Chinese missile can reach speeds of 8 thousand. Miles per hour.

This is a Russian site story translation.
Source

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: FearYourMind

You know the weird thing is,if instead of running around taking over countries,we could have been developing this type of technology ourselves. We could have rebuilt our infrastructure and seen to the populations health instead of this ACA nonsense.

Now Russia has us as well as China. It is all those dumb warhawks that keep attacking middle eastern countries and wasting resources.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: kevinp2300

Foolish assumption IMO. What I mean is that after ww2 the US obtained german technology and kept our black ops projects well hidden from the public eye in the decades to follow. In 1993, Ben Rich, VP at Lockheed Martin Skunkworks gave a speech at UCLA and said that "we now have the technology to take ET home". Sure other countries can equal our technology, but this missile isn't an example of that. Peace

You are quoting people that have an interest in thumping their chests. They are paid to instill confidence and bravado in the uninformed public.

Do you expect them to say "Holy Crap!...What the hell is that? We're Screwed!"

Real question...Where are the actual FACTS?

Peace

edit on 4-12-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

OFFICIALS are not depicting a real threat here. WE have YET to successfully fly a hypersonic aircraft,WE DO have lasers rolling out at least, those that we know about,critical thinking should handle the rest.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Not long, but from what I have read in the past, they were designed to take out our Aircraft Carrier Battle Groups. They have a capability to alter trajectory sideways slightly which makes them almost impossible to intercept with current intercept technology. The speed is also a major issue in trying to intercept.

IMHO, it won't matter a whole lot in a major nuclear exchange. Some or a majority of their ICBMs will get through, but they also know that we have Ohio Class Nuclear subs and each one has the capability to take out 192 Targets with Thermonuclear Weapons. Each submarine carries more firepower than has been used in all of warfare combined to this point in our history. And having several of these sailing around in the depths of the Pacific should give any country pause in thinking about striking the continental US.

More likely, a small exchange targeting an Aircraft Carrier Battle Group would be something to be concerned about as China is throwing its weight around the SE Asia region and in regional conflicts like Taiwan which the US has sent in Carrier Battle Groups before to make a statement they will protect say Taiwan. That is China's focus, keep the US out of there, or be able to destroy the Battle Group that would interfere with them taking over territory in the SE Asia Theater.

ETA: I may be mixing up some technology.
It is like Russia and the Bulava missile. They also supposedly have the ability to shift sideways making intercept very difficult. It is a way to overcome our anti-missile capabilities. I believe China has also developed these types of capabilities. Our HTV is to have the capability to strike anywhere on the planet within an hour or less. So, as I said, I may be mixing up the WU-14 with our HTV since they have mixed up our HTV with the news story about China's hypersonic vehicle which I believe is a missile and I believe that is what the story out of China is indicating posted earlier. They were obsessed with stopping our Carrier threat.

edit on 5/12/14 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

1. I quoted 1 person not ppl
2. Can you provide FACTS that Ben Rich is paid to instill confidence and bravado to the uninformed public?
3. I base my beliefs off of a plethora of military whistleblowers, former politicians and researchers. Enough evidence to establish circumstantial evidence, which holds up in a court of law and should suffice in this ATS debate.
4. By FACTS I assume you mean proof? If you are actually open to the possibility of what I am saying to be true, then I can provide links for you. Something tells me this is not the case though as you seem stuck in your beliefs, which is fine as well.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

I totally agree. We as a planet are insane. We could of easily built housing for all the homeless and under-housed, made food, water, and equipment and teaching the ability to farm to all the underdeveloped nations of the world that need it. Medicine would also have been able to not only deliver quality medical care to everyone, but also be advanced through R&D much more.

One of my pet peeves is that we as a human race are all on this spaceship called Earth, and flying through the cosmos at incredible speed. Not just around our star, but the whole solar system is traveling in a worm like trajectory through space. We have bigger fish to fry, as in planetary defense systems to be used against incoming objects that could destroy our world as we know it. Probably ending human civilization all together. Not to mention other possible enemies popping up an any given time.

However, this discussion is for another thread, as it is off-topic. But I do feel strongly about this subject.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Max_TO

Thanks for posting but I just want to clear one thing up .. I do not believe that it travels 8 times the speed of light . Perhaps a simple error was made and maybe you had meant to say 8 times the speed of sound ?

8x the speed of sound, that is only about 6090 miles per hour (1.154 miles/sec), not really that fast considering the terrestrial escape velocity of a vehicle going into space is about 25,200 mph. That would be 11,200 meters (11.2 km) or around 36,960 feet (7 miles) per second ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Lets go take it away from them

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

What? Me worry?

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

The US aint the only nation who have subs who can destroy another country. Russia and China have subs that can do the job.

Russia also have their bomber up on a constant bases now. They are not all fallowed by NATO jets. Only the once who fly close to another county's aispace. IF Russia fly their bomber to far out from Our airspace in Norway. Our F-16 cant Reach them. There is a consern in Norway about the SU 34, because of its long Reach without refueling.

When we fase out the F-16 With the F-35 tings are even going to be worse. The F-35 is slower.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Not possible, you need a stainless steel body and gull wing doors to do that!!a reply to: Freezer

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Where did you go, I was enjoying our debate. I see you posting on other threads in the meantime.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: 3u40r15m

NAAAAH they have lousy colors and are all boxy and everything. Commies don't decorate for crap.
Also the parts are ALL made in China which is a crippling factor as well.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: FearYourMind

If the Pentagon is calling them a "serious threat" I would assume that these missiles are fast enough to dodge or out run our defenses? How long does it take a Mach 8 missile to go from China to the USA?

What this really is: a maneuvering re-entry vehicle on a IRBM (intermediate range ballistic missile).

A regular ballistic missile is powered on the way up, and back on the way down, the warhead is unpowered and falling. It is also going extremely fast, like Mach 8 or even higher for continental ICBM's. On their own, they are very hard to intercept simply because of the speed.

Typically the goal for the re-entry vehicle was to go straight down as much and as fast as possible, to spend as little time in the atmosphere as necessary, because unpredictable winds would alter it from it's preprogrammed course.

Traditionally missiles will self-maneuver and re-target in the ballistic (space-based) part of their flight, but not in the final phase. The interceptors assume that when they come in, they are ballistic and the course is computable.

These vehicles are new 'flying' re-entry vehicles which will intentionally use aerodynamic lift and some control systems to change their path so that they are no longer ballistic and hence harder to target by an interceptor. They are probably still unpowered.

The problem is the targeting for the missile. If you have a high ionization for re-entry you can't see anything looking out forward, nor communicate with satellites above you. You will be more subject to turbulent aerodynamics, pushing you off course. There's a reason why missile warheads didn't start out working this way.

edit on 7-12-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join