It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS's latest killing machine: The 10-foot sniper rifle that can fire bullets three times the size

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
here's where it's found

www.dailymail.co.uk...

this thing can't possibly be real, can it?

here's the ammo, supposed to be 23mm.

how can it be called a sniper rifle when it can't be taken up and moved to another position , in any fashion called quickly?

also , it looks like that thing would blow up when the hammer falls.

so is it real?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Im willing to say it is as real and as much of a threat as ISIS is.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
Im willing to say it is as real and as much of a threat as ISIS is.

i loved how you straddled that fence.

could be taken either way, you are a god amongst mere mortals. i wish i could applaud you officially.

meant this in a nice way)
edit on 4-12-2014 by thishereguy because: second thoughts)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: thishereguy

is there a scope? how the heck is he aiming that....i mean iron sights are good out til a certain point and bullets that big aren't needed for people...maybe its for hitting vehicles to disable them which is probably what that thing is for if its real

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

Awesome post, but to the perpetually "frightened by the media" crowd....very threatening.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

i didn't see a thing about a scope in the article. maybe i missed it?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I think it's real, but not a very effective sniper rifle. It looks as if they modded an old AA gun or at least took a barrel from one. As far as sniping with it it looks to have a limited range of movement and an adjustable leaf sight (not accurate for sniping).

edit on 4-12-2014 by NotMoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: NotMoose

yeah, AA gun makes sense. also looks like some sort of rocket , it's sitting on.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
For the gun experts.
Is Gun modding (in this way) a big thing in the states?
Or is it merely, extended magazines, better sights etc?

The reason I ask, not because I think an American built it (though wouldn't rule it out)
just because I'd assume firing explosive rounds the gun would have to be very reliable otherwise..... BOOM.. right?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Taggart

from the article

What sort of effect this gun would have remains open to debate, however, according to firearms expert David Dyson. He told MailOnline: 'The problem with identifying the effect of this gun is firstly that we don't know for sure what the calibre is, although there wouldn't be a lot of point in building something like this if it wasn't of a significant calibre. Secondly, and probably of more importance, we don't know how well it is made: is the barrel accurately machined and rifled?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: thishereguy

from the article

What sort of effect this gun would have remains open to debate, however, according to firearms expert David Dyson. He told MailOnline: 'The problem with identifying the effect of this gun is firstly that we don't know for sure what the calibre is, although there wouldn't be a lot of point in building something like this if it wasn't of a significant calibre. Secondly, and probably of more importance, we don't know how well it is made: is the barrel accurately machined and rifled?

Yeah I read that which is why I asked my question. Gun experts talking to newspapers and Larry the Texan with his modded Cannon are two different things.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

i wondered about the "boom" also. i only know what read about such things, i'm novice at best .

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The most important indication that I have that this is a mock-up of a weapon follows. If it is real, it would be utterly useless in combat.

Notice that the weapon is mounted on two separate tripods. How can a person adjust for windage or elevation? A shooter would need to lift and swing one tripod from side to side to adjust windage and one tripod or the other would have to be raised or lowered to change elevation.
Not too handy to shoot.

ETA: I should have stated 'one tripod and one pintel mount', although is not changed.

edit on bu312014-12-04T23:30:15-06:0011America/ChicagoThu, 04 Dec 2014 23:30:15 -060011u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Am I to believe that the recoil on that thing would be reduced enough by what is at the front of the weapon to allow it to not knock the shooter off the weapon?

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
THIS IS A PIECE OF CRAP......MORE PROPAGANDA FROM ISIL......MEH.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
That looks like a ship gun. Thats no rifle thats a cannon.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Sniper rifle, no way! That's a anti vehicle gun, there's no way that is a sniper rifle because so many reasons. That thing is #, only good for blasting a vehicle from vary far away in a narrow target area.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

That piece of crap looks like it shoots spark plugs.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
It's fake! If this was real the first time the shooter used it he would be deaf. Notice no ear protection on the shooter.
I had a friend of mine that shot a deer from his bedroom. His ears were ringing for an hour.
If this was real it would have to be used like the old wall guns. Where the recoil was so great they had to be braced against a wall and those were black powder guns!

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Just looks like a modern variant of an anti-tank rifle. Those have been around since WWII. Fires anti-aircraft type rounds at high velocity, this thing is primarily meant to take out light and medium armored vehicles and may be able to disable heavy armor.

This thing as it appears in the photo has limited use. Fixed emplacement, so if his firing location is discovered the gun will have to be abandoned. However it would have much more range than an RPG and perform the same general function when used in combat.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join