It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NLBS #26: Eric Garner's Death, and the Hypocrisy of the NYPD's Broken Windows Policing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
With all the media hype surrounding the Staten Island Grand Jury's decision not to indict NYPD officer Daniel Pantaleo in the strangulation death of Eric Garner, we wondered if there was anything we could add. After a deeper look, there most certainly is! Many have cited the NYPD's Broken Windows Policing policies and the fact that Eric Garner was supposedly selling loosie cigarettes as a lame rationale for the confrontation. Not only did we discover that a detailed 8-year old study has proven that Broken Windows Policing doesn't work, but also that the NYPD selectively applies when and where they do it. And if that wasn't enough, we found officer Daniel Pantaleo smiling and waving at the camera, just minutes after he killed Eric Garner.

Watch in HD on www.TheNLBS.com

Share this video. Tell your friends. Spread the Next Level BS!

Follow Next Level BS on Twitter @theNLBS

Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Check us out on DailyMotion

Go to the website: www.theNLBS.com

And get NLBS t-shirts and swag thenlbs.spreadshirt.com

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

Don't leave out the hypocrisy of Bill de Blasio!

Mayor de Blasio pushes back against upcoming Council bid to criminalize NYPD use of choke hold

I'm all for exposing BS, but don't leave out those who say one thing and do another?

edit on 4-12-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Hadn't seen the murderer waving to the camera before.

What a piece of #, # # # # # # # # #.

You can take my 10.00 and add to your Alzheimer's fund.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

Hadn't seen the murderer waving to the camera before.

Hi mom, look at me, I'm on tv!

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Now would be an excellent time for one of those ATS polls.

Do you believe there was enough evidence in this case for an indictment?

Was this case worthy of a criminal trial?... Etc

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

There are the usual trolls and bigots that come out of the woodwork at these times, but for the most part the threads on this case seem to indicate the majority of the membership think the wrong decision was made.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

There are the usual trolls and bigots that come out of the woodwork at these times, but for the most part the threads on this case seem to indicate the majority of the membership think the wrong decision was made.

I don't.

None of us had access to the info the grand jury did.

Apparently courts of law are meaningless anymore.

What carries more weight is the kangaroo courts of public opinion.

I think people have forgotten just how and why stringing people up, and hanging from trees went out of style.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Mayor de Blasio pushes back against upcoming Council bid to criminalize NYPD use of choke hold

I'm all for exposing BS, but don't leave out those who say one thing and do another?

Wow, I missed this one during the research phase :-( I knew the chokehold was a banned moved by the NYPD but the "sleeper hold" was a different matter. He's obviously pandering to the NYPD with his statements.

I wanted to focus more on the policies that allowed this situation to happen. Broken Windows and how it disproportionally affects minorities, by a wide margin.

From a recent report by John Jay

In New York City, the greatest increases in misdemeanor arrests have been experienced by young minority men. For example, the rate of misdemeanor arrests for Black males aged 18-20 almost tripled between 1990 and 2013. For minority males living in the other cities of New York State, the rate of misdemeanor arrests also increased, but overall the increases were larger in New York City

This report also powerfully illustrates the reality that increases in enforcement activity have not been evenly distributed across or within these cities. On the contrary, the increase has been concentrated among young minority men. This reality raises questions about fairness, perceptions of legitimacy within an important demographic, and changes in patterns of crime. It further highlights the need to consistently document race/ethnic and age-related trends in criminal justice processes to better understand how social burdens disproportionately impact young minority men. The report also underscores the importance of better understanding the role of prosecutors and judges in processing and adjudicating these arrests. Each of these arrests is subjected to legal and judicial review and consumes significant resources of a system facing daunting resource constraints. Finally, we hope that these analyses will lead to an examination of the role of government in responding to low level criminal behavior and problematic community conditions. In some cases, a misdemeanor arrest should be viewed as only one option in our response to misdemeanor crime. Other options that may be far more effective should be explored.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Great episode this one tore at me. I think just your reading at the end was what did it.

If that tore at me then how can a grand jury let the guy walk? Perhaps the prosecutor didn't even try. We know he didn't.

BTW I like the cuss ticker I hope you keep it. Could make for some funny recaps.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Doesn't mean you are a troll m'dear
Not at all.
I do think it is a majority who think the other way just from pure observation of posts.
In terms of a Grand Jury I posted this on the other thread.

This Grand Jury system needs looking at.
I think the US is one of the only developed countries in the world that still uses them.

Grand juries determine whether enough evidence exists for a case to go forward to a criminal trial, either before a jury or a judge. By law, they operate in secret and hear only evidence presented by prosecutors, who also instruct the grand jurors on the law. Defense lawyers are barred from speaking. For a decision, 12 jurors who have heard all of the evidence must agree.

www.nytimes.com...

I'm looking through trying to see an acceptable reasoning for the decision and I can't given the Medical Examiner said it was homicide, the move is illegal for NYC cops and there was a video and witnesses to the event.

I'm trying to find a faith in the legal system in this instance but can't.
A public killing should have gone to trial for a public transparent court proceeding, not a secretive hearing driven by god knows what agenda by the prosecution (cops mate?) as there is no transparency in the public domain during proceedings.

I'd be ditching the Grand Jury USA, time to catch up. NO public prosecution system should be held in secret.

edit on 4-12-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I highly recommend reading Why Grand Juries Do Not (and Cannot) Protect the Accused
edit on 4-12-2014 by theNLBS because: formatting

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: theNLBS

originally posted by: seeker1963

Wow, I missed this one during the research phase :-( I knew the chokehold was a banned moved by the NYPD but the "sleeper hold" was a different matter. He's obviously pandering to the NYPD with his statements.

I wanted to focus more on the policies that allowed this situation to happen. Broken Windows and how it disproportionally affects minorities, by a wide margin.

From a recent report by John Jay

In New York City, the greatest increases in misdemeanor arrests have been experienced by young minority men. For example, the rate of misdemeanor arrests for Black males aged 18-20 almost tripled between 1990 and 2013. For minority males living in the other cities of New York State, the rate of misdemeanor arrests also increased, but overall the increases were larger in New York City

This report also powerfully illustrates the reality that increases in enforcement activity have not been evenly distributed across or within these cities. On the contrary, the increase has been concentrated among young minority men. This reality raises questions about fairness, perceptions of legitimacy within an important demographic, and changes in patterns of crime. It further highlights the need to consistently document race/ethnic and age-related trends in criminal justice processes to better understand how social burdens disproportionately impact young minority men. The report also underscores the importance of better understanding the role of prosecutors and judges in processing and adjudicating these arrests. Each of these arrests is subjected to legal and judicial review and consumes significant resources of a system facing daunting resource constraints. Finally, we hope that these analyses will lead to an examination of the role of government in responding to low level criminal behavior and problematic community conditions. In some cases, a misdemeanor arrest should be viewed as only one option in our response to misdemeanor crime. Other options that may be far more effective should be explored.

No worries Joe! I didn't intend my post to mean you didn't do your research, but as I think we all know, there is just so damn many lies flying around that every little bit helps!

I am just glad I was able to point something out that otherwise would have went unnoticed!

Like my signature says:Finding the truth in a world full of lies is a luxury most of us can't afford!

Keep calling em out bro!

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Thanks, I'll save anyone else wanting to read full 66 pages

summary in these two quotes

The fundamental criticism of grand juries can be stated simply.
Many believe that the "shield" works poorly and the "sword" works
only too well. The grand jury is frequently criticized for failing to act
as a meaningful check on the prosecutor's charging decisions; according
to the clich6s it is a "rubber stamp," perfectly willing to "indict a
ham sandwich" if asked to do so by the govemment.' 5 In contrast, few
doubt the effectiveness of the grand jury's investigative power. Here
the concern is that prosecutors and grand juries abuse this authority
by harassing unpopular individuals and groups.'

First, it is still surprisingly unclear what grand juries are supposed
to accomplish, and how successful they are in achieving those
goals. There is general agreement that grand juries should derail "unfair"
or "unwarranted" prosecutions, but there is little discussion
about which cases fit those descriptions. Second, there has been remarkably
little attention paid to the ultimate decisionmakers-thejurors
themselves. Traditional criticism has focused on prosecutors,
courts, and grand jury procedures, but has not analyzed how poorly
equipped the jurors are to decide when criminal charges are
appropr

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I am curious about something.

How can the SAME legal system that let OJ loose be rigged against AA's ?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

They were star struck

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

I don't.

None of us had access to the info the grand jury did.

Apparently courts of law are meaningless anymore.

What carries more weight is the kangaroo courts of public opinion.

I think people have forgotten just how and why stringing people up, and hanging from trees went out of style.

Ok, pretend I'm the grand jury. In this scenario, I'll allow you to produce any sort of evidence out of thin air. Can you possibly think of anything that would justify Eric's murder after watching the video and reviewing the facts known? I'll allow you to make something up. What do you think they could have heard that changed their minds?

I can't think of anything that would make what he did not a murder.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I can't think of anything that would make what he did not a murder.

I can.

Although the term homicide is sometimes used synonymously with murder, homicide is broader in scope than murder.

Murder is a form of criminal homicide; other forms of homicide might not constitute criminal acts

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

The grand jury most likely ruled the way they did. Because the evidence could not substaniate the 'choke hold' was the cause of death.

The cops had no way of knowing Garners underlying health conditions.

Garner did 'resist'. All he had to do was comply with the LEO's orders as required by law.

Hell a medical alert bracelet, and necklace could have saved that guys life.

edit on 4-12-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I am curious about something.

How can the SAME legal system that let OJ loose be rigged against AA's ?

Race aside, at least in the OJ case there was a public criminal trial where the whole world was able to see all of the evidence against him. Unlike the secret behind closed doors grand jury in this case.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

The biggest reasons with the grand juries is because of the pubic 'outrage'.

Hell if both of those had been public.

We would be burying the juries. Because some people didn't like the outcome.

Hence the 'secrecy'.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

That doc NLBS linked is good on Grand Jurys for more info. explains why the rest of the world doesn't really use them anymore.

Its all very sad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join