It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Don't Break It Down, I Add It Up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Alright, this thread is on a subject that has swirled around in my pink stuff for a long time now and I'm still not sure how to approach it, but here goes.

What's the big deal with these dumbflux who break words into syllables and interpret what you say as entirely not what you said? This brings me back to when I was a kid and my siblings would do the same thing. Fortunately for us, none of us brought this abnormal "game" with us into adulthood or God forbid, incorporated this illogical thought process into our mental functions. I'm trying to think an example up but this subject is difficult to explain. How about this:

My user name is "Asynchrony". This word has a single meaning and cannot be interpreted a second way. But, if someone were to "break-it-down" as I previously mentioned, then it would be read as "Ass Wench Runny" or "Asian Chron, Why?" or "A Sin Crow NY". I mean, right off the bat it's obviously clear that an alternate interpretation of "Asynchrony" is entirely not related to the real definition of the word.

That's a very important point to spell out clearly because believe it or not there are people out there who mentally convert words like that on a continuous basis and actually make critical decisions based on these "interpretive sub-definitions". It's like superstition, they'll hack at it until they have a stroke and really, what's there to stress about?

Hey nutso, "Sprite" isn't an abbreviation for "Special Right"!

On and on I could go with this example bit but I ain't going to. Add your own sub-definitions to this thread if you'd like or expand upon the subject.

One real good explanation I'd come up with was when a foreigner moves to America and starts to learn the language. English can be confusing with some words sounding the same phonetically but are spelled differently (Example: To, Too, Two). It goes from there the more elaborate a word is as it gets longer. I can see the learning foreigner catching small syllables out of that bigger word as their mind automatically reads it. (Again, an example would be mentally picking out the name "Ron" out of "Asynchrony" before your mind recognizes the whole of the word and it's true definition.)

I suppose this odd "word-misinterpretation" issue is a rare thing but I'd known my fair share of folks who do this and it can get maddening to try and converse with them. I also suppose that if this "word-misinterpretation" issue was a chronic thing (no pun intended) then I think it would be safe to call it a mental disability.

What do you think? Mental disability or harmless fun? Feel free to expand on this topic or include other annoying conversation abnormalities.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Language's are systems of symbols used to communicate. Symbols are based on context. In isolated language systems, those contexts are uniform and there is little room for mus-interpretation. However those "contexts" are no longer isolated. Even people who speak the same language such as English, have learned their English from many different locations, be it the Bronx, Middlesex or Honolulu. Our contexts for basically everything are breaking down from those isolated experiences of the past as we migrate, as a whole, towards one world. Like it or not.

And Oh, I don't understand the juxtapostion of the pink brain and the pink babe, or is that a pink Barbie, hard to tell.
edit on 31America/ChicagoThu, 04 Dec 2014 13:15:04 -0600Thu, 04 Dec 2014 13:15:04 -060014122014-12-04T13:15:04-06:00100000015 by TerryMcGuire because: And Oh, I don't understand the juxtapostion of the pink brain and the pink babe, or is that a pink Barbie, hard to tell.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Asynchrony

Its gene tech it. Off spring from the ate eees…

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Asynchrony

OK you're killing me....in thinking about your first few lines

"Language's are systems of symbols used to communicate. Symbols are based on context. In isolated language systems, those contexts are uniform and there is little room for mus-interpretation. However those "contexts" are no longer isolated. Even people who speak the same language such as English, have learned their English from many different locations, be it the Bronx, Middlesex or Honolulu. Our contexts for basically everything are breaking down from those isolated experiences of the past as we migrate, as a whole, towards one world. Like it or not."

The first thing that occurred to me was that if these people irk you, why weren't you looking into the etymology of their words to see what they are saying WITHOUT realizing what they were saying?

So for grins & giggles I googled the original meaning of your user name and I'm SHOCKED! Just floored.

Asynchrony
No word found
www.etymonline.com...

Etymology of the English word asynchrony
the English word asynchrony
Usage
Word found in Modern English
www.myetymology.com...

You actually meant what your avatar says!
Pretty cool

top topics

join