It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it just me or Hollywood movies are getting worst?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Movies used to tell us what the future might end up being like such as war of the world. Now we just get mostly Comic book movies and teen movie like hungar game and twilight. I went back to watch 90's action movies and compare to todays they all seem to be a joke. Most of them being Crappy American propaganda film like Red Dawn, White House down. What the hell happened to movies like Commando, Aliens, and all those non-pro American films? Even comedy movies are getting worst, they are not as funny as the past ones. Lots of movies are coming from books instead of actually written unlike the past movies. Even Jurassic World movie starting to look like a joke. The new Star Wars movie looks unbelievable like the older Star Wars. Probably because all the CGI now a days. What happened to all the historical war movies? The only recent one is Fury, even medievil is missing out and being replace by fantasy such as Lord of the Rings.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Not only have movies deteriorated plot and acting wise........but our use of proper English has even dropped like a lead fart in a paper boat......

edit on 4-12-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

I was gonna say something but decided against it... Can't find my grammar Nazi badge...

Btw you got serious problems if you fart lead...

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I looked forward to the Godzilla movie. I couldn't watch it though. Waste of $5 bucks. Hopefully redbox refunds me.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Everyone has their own flavor-but I feel the same way about almost every movie made after 2000.

I wish that movie makers would stop remaking/ruining older movies.

Maybe if they spent 500 million on a 6 hr zombie movie(new-not a remake)-they will get my interest.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
wait, that was the Liam nelson boring movie.
edit on 4-12-2014 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Not only have movies deteriorated plot and acting wise........but our use of proper English has even dropped like a lead fart in a paper boat......

More like mercury diarrhea in a graphene aerogel kayak.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
Movies used to tell us what the future might end up being like such as war of the world. Now we just get mostly Comic book movies and teen movie like hungar game and twilight. I went back to watch 90's action movies and compare to todays they all seem to be a joke. Most of them being Crappy American propaganda film like Red Dawn, White House down. What the hell happened to movies like Commando, Aliens, and all those non-pro American films? Even comedy movies are getting worst, they are not as funny as the past ones. Lots of movies are coming from books instead of actually written unlike the past movies. Even Jurassic World movie starting to look like a joke. The new Star Wars movie looks unbelievable like the older Star Wars. Probably because all the CGI now a days. What happened to all the historical war movies? The only recent one is Fury, even medievil is missing out and being replace by fantasy such as Lord of the Rings.

Has it occurred to you that you were younger then and your tastes reflected that? The movies you referred to with fondness weren't all that great, either. Commando and Aliens are the best films you can remember? Sheesh. which historical war movies? Can you be more specific? Apparently, you have a preference for war films. What about "Platoon" and "Apocalypse Now"? It's true that, when it comes to action films, special effects have replaced good stories.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I just saw the preview to Iron Sky 2, and honestly am looking forward to seeing it.

Pay attention to 0:24 mark.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling

Yes, good grammar is in the toilet. So is spelling. However, there are many fine actors now.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Yes-they play bad actors flawlessly

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: FalcoFan

Everyone has their own flavor-but I feel the same way about almost every movie made after 2000.

I wish that movie makers would stop remaking/ruining older movies.

Maybe if they spent 500 million on a 6 hr zombie movie(new-not a remake)-they will get my interest.

With rare exception, the people who decide which films get made are not filmmakers. Thirty-year-old MBAs make the financing decisions and their tastes are reflected. They tend to think if X-type film made lots of money last year, five more clones of X-type film will make even more money. They're often wrong, get fired, and replaced by other 30-year-old MBAs who have no knowledge of the history of film and don't regard it as an art form.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Warning you guys now, do not watch, the new liam nelson movie. It made no sense. It was a disappointment from his films. I like liam. But this one. Was a 1 star film.

Third Person.
edit on 4-12-2014 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I actually kind of like some of the newer action movies. I mean Battle Los Angelos was just pure badassness IMO. But todays comedies are definitely way too disgusting and in bad taste. And many of the satire movies are just plain not funny and stupid. Good ol' Airplane was a classic.

We did get Prometheus, as well as a line of AvP and Predator movies, were those not good sci-fi? How about the Star trek re-imaginings? Granted they were not IMO in the same class as the OG Trek films, but I believe they are respectable works of art. If you liked old school action movies, what did you think of Crank franchise? Wholly unrealistic but I feel they managed to maintain that level of pure badassness.

Lord of the Rings and Hobbit are decent throwbacks of dark age fantasy movies much in the league of Willow. I would like to see some more dark age hero movies the likes of Beastmaster and Conan though. The Re-imagining of Conan was a great piece and has a place in my library. It is hard to come by a good horror flick though, especially with ghosts. I dont give a rats ass for the Paranormal activity franchise. Im looking for stuff more like Occulus and the Conjuring, those are good productions IMO. But there are too many amateur ghost productions trying to ride the hype of Paranormal Activity types that are just plain uninteresting.

Why has no one done a re-imagining of the Poltergeist franchise, or even just the first one?? I dream of the day.

Comedies like Trading Places or national lampoons anything would be welcome for some remakes too.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

btw-my only experience with the movie industry was being an extra in Mallrats.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
They've been getting worse since the 80s. In the late 90s it accelerated. This century has seen Hollywood sink so low Bob Ballard will team up with James Cameron to explore it.

Remakes, sequels, an endless stream of comic book heroes. Star Trek was brutally devastated, The Borg weren't even needed, the universe became a joke. Thanks JJ.

I don't even know what happened to Star Wars, last one I saw was Episode One, as a young kid I fell for it, podracers, Watto.

Now I hear they're bringing The Stand into the cinematic arena. Not one film, but four. That's quite a stand. Hollywood is a joke, it's like a plant that hasn't been maintained. It's been left to its own accord, allowed to entwine around anything that supports it.

Too many branches. Gotta trim that stuff. S + F

And same for modern tv. The shows from the 50s used recycled plots but I watch them endlessly.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
They've been getting worse since the 80s. In the late 90s it accelerated. This century has seen Hollywood sink so low Bob Ballard will team up with James Cameron to explore it.

Remakes, sequels, an endless stream of comic book heroes. Star Trek was brutally devastated, The Borg weren't even needed, the universe became a joke. Thanks JJ.

I don't even know what happened to Star Wars, last one I saw was Episode One, as a young kid I fell for it, podracers, Watto.

Now I hear they're bringing The Stand into the cinematic arena. Not one film, but four. That's quite a stand. Hollywood is a joke, it's like a plant that hasn't been maintained. It's been left to its own accord, allowed to entwine around anything that supports it.

And same for modern tv. The shows from the 50s used recycled plots but I watch them endlessly.

I see many films but the last film I saw that I regard as great was "Winter's Bone". I do agree that television is largely in the toilet -- but there are exceptions.I think we should take into account that we only remember the films and television programs we really enjoyed in the past. We forget about all the bad ones. I also watch the recycled old TV shows, probably because they send me back to the comfort of childhood.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

One problem regarding films is that in the past many films were made by US studios every year. Now the number has been greatly reduced and they're banking not on modest incomes from each film but massive income from a blockbuster or two. That means that the money boys are terrified to take risks on non-formula films and "small" films. The result is disastrous.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Intersteller was pretty good but I agree movies are on a down trebd.

As for war movies? The last two decads they have been very much USA only centered.
Its pretty boring after a while seeing he same "usa won the war on its own" #e.

Something like a remake of a bridge too far would be intresting or something that has a general allied flavour to break the USA only cliche?

Though apprently a film on the battle of argencourt is in the works. Based on a bernard cromwell book of the same name, screen play by michael hirst and produced by michael mann so I have high hopes for it as I like Bernard cromwell books, like michael hirsts tudors and vikeings and enjoyed michael manns last of the mohenicans.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   

You are right on that point and it shows. However I think there is also an extroardinary lack of talent within the 'star' pool. There has ben a stranglehold on hollywood for years with agencies only booking who they want to promote without any real regard to talent and also, sadly good looks.

If you look at the movies made in the 50's 60's and 70's the men and women were stunning. My wife had a few friends round one evening and five of them could not think of one really good looking hollywood male star. You look at the actors from the past, they had a masculinity about them that today's lead man seems to lack unless he is some american muscleman, then its more testosterone than masculinity and talent.

The movies all seem to reflect either the bible or supposed jewish history and perhaps its all been done before in the past and better, even without todays special effects etc. To remake the classic Cleopatra is a waste of money and time. The film is a classic as were the actors. Where is the new innovation - ideas - with a film like Avatar, I was swept away but are we so stagnant in hollywood that we are only able to go to see films like avatar on rare occasions?

Too much celebrity, huge ludicrous wages and no real heroes for me today.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join