It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: No Charges in Eric Garner Chokehold Case for Officer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

A Staten Island grand jury has voted not to bring criminal charges against the white New York City police officer at the center of the Eric Garner case, a person briefed on the matter said Wednesday.

The decision was reached on Wednesday after months of testimony including from the officer, Daniel Pantaleo, who used a chokehold to restrain Mr. Garner, who died after a confrontation. It came less than two weeks after a grand jury in Ferguson, Mo., declined to bring charges against a white officer who fatally shot an unarmed black teenager, Michael Brown.

For days, the New York City Police Department has been readying for a new round of protests, which began in the city after the Ferguson decision and which were expected to continue and possibly grow if the grand jury declined to bring charges against the officer.

In Ferguson, protesters and police officers clashed in the streets almost immediately after Mr. Brown’s killing by Officer Darren Wilson in August; riots erupted on the night the grand jury’s decision was announced last month. By contrast, in late August, a demonstration on Staten Island over the death of Mr. Garner, 43, proceeded without confrontation or arrest.

The grand jury, impanelled by District Attorney Daniel M. Donovan Jr. in September, has weighed evidence – including a video recorded by bystanders of Mr. Garner’s violent arrest – and heard testimony from the officers involved.

MORE:
www.nytimes.com...

BREAKING: No Charges in Eric Garner Chokehold Case for Officer

This was just released...and I have a feeling that while CNN may be thrilled...The people of NYC may be in for another 'Ferguson' experience. I certainly hope this will not be the case. Time will tell.

Additional Articles:
www.usatoday.com...

edit on 3-12-2014 by IAMTAT because: Quote added

edit on 3-12-2014 by IAMTAT because: highlighting

edit on 3-12-2014 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-12-2014 by IAMTAT because: link added

+50 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
You beat me to it...

So its official, if you want to get away with murder in this country, become a police officer.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

As I had mentioned in other posts..I don't think it was a choke that killed him...I think it was positional asphyxia that did him in along with his weight. I took a course on this topic many years ago and there were police and corrections in attendance...one would assume all police must attend this type of training which includes securing someone and how to avoid this while being placed in a police car. Some responsibility should lie on the police office but as I mentioned I don't believe he was chocked to the point of death.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Figures,I'm not surprised..Sickening not even going to take it to a jury trial.What the hell does it take to indict a Cop?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: YayMayorBee

That fact will help recruitment everywhere.

+35 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I think there are two reasons we're seeing more and more of this kind of thing...

1. The fact that we elected a black president has unleashed a resurgence of racism in this country.
2. Since 9/11, cops have become "heroes". And we can't prosecute our "heroes" for murder...

This is disgusting! I hope there is a huge backlash. Being quiet and peaceful when clearly, the justice system in this country is broken is just what we DON'T need.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

That same logic would apply to people who get in a car after drinking and kill someone.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Even if mass riots in NYC don't occur, I'm glad as a white I am not living anywhere near there. Guerilla warfare isn't easy to avoid. On a constructive note, what can replace the dysfunctional grand jury system?

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

As I had mentioned in other posts..I don't think it was a choke that killed him...I think it was positional asphyxia that did him in along with his weight. I took a course on this topic many years ago and there were police and corrections in attendance...one would assume all police must attend this type of training which includes securing someone and how to avoid this while being placed in a police car. Some responsibility should lie on the police office but as I mentioned I don't believe he was chocked to the point of death.

Interesting though how the Medical Examiner ruled it a homicide. I sense this is going to be a problem.

edit on 47America/ChicagoAmerica/Chicagok_31Wed, 03 Dec 2014 13:54:47 -0600u3101 by Seek_Truth because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I don't think this was racially motivated. I don't think Wilson should have been indicted, but this cop used excessive force and inadvertently caused a person's death.

I don't agree with this decision. If someone doesn't make some changes, there will be justifiable riots. And when those happen, Ferguson and LA will look like a playground.

+19 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

I don't think it was a choke that killed him..

The Medical Examiner disagrees with you.

+18 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Whether this death was caused by the chokehold or positional asphyxia, the officer involved should be held responsible.

One: A chokehold is NOT an approved use of force for any LEO.

Two: Most LEOs receive training on how to position unconscious people to avoid asphyxiation.

This was a case of excessive use of force, and at the very least a case of gross negligence on the part of the LEO. That he gets to walk away without any consequences is disappointing.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: YayMayorBee
You beat me to it...

So its official, if you want to get away with murder in this country, become a police officer.

Same as, if you're black, you've got the green light to disobey orders.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The police are out of control. They act as if they are at war with every citizen when they are on duty.
They need to be put back in their place! I hope there is out rage over this, I was not for the Mike Brown case but this is different. I guess the cop who shot the 12 year old boy with a toy gun will get off now.

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
1. The fact that we elected a black president has unleashed a resurgence of racism in this country.

I strongly disagree. People of every race and creed and heritage voted for Obama. Are you saying that the cops who caused this are anti-Obama republicans and are somehow getting even for Obama being elected back in 2008 by using excessive force on this NYC guy ?? I'm thinking that's a real stretch. Or am I misinterpreting the logical conclusion to what you posted?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
Whether this death was caused by the chokehold or positional asphyxia, the officer involved should be held responsible.

Agreed. Last I read, the officers were not in fear of their lives so I'm not sure how an extended chokehold was justified. I'd like to read what the Grand Jury had on this and why they came to the conclusion that they did.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Are you saying that the cops who caused this are anti-Obama republicans and are somehow getting even for Obama being elected back in 2008 by using excessive force on this NYC guy ??

No.

Or am I misinterpreting the logical conclusion to what you posted?

Yes. And I don't want to go off topic.
edit on 12/3/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I have to agree. The culture of police overreach was in place long before Obama took office.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
Okay ... then what does Obama being elected have to do with these cops in NYC using excessive force on this guy? I"m not seeing the connection. What am I missing?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

That people are racist and don't like seeing a black man in power?
Don't think she was calling the cop a racist, just that those type of people are much more vocal since barry is in office.
They have to deal with a black man being the most powerful man in the world and that just really grinds their gears.
That is my take on it anyway

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join