It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quit My Job of Ten Years Today

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Best thing I ever did was quit my job. Sometimes it's the only way to move to greater things. Try to keep a good attitude. That's the most important thing in a situation like this. Best of luck.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
well ill start by apologizing for some of my more inflammatory remarks which clearly offended some. It took a night of rest to get my mind back together. Apparantley my job I still open an they ant me to come back in. Word got to three different store managers in town that were once managers in my store and they are recommending I go back as if nothing happened. So, they want me back in, but I just cant because of the fact nothing is going to change.

Besides just from calling the people I know three of my friendly small business owners are already offerin to give me some part time work to keep me on my feet until I find something more concrete unless I choose to stay with one of them of course.

This is only my second job I have ever been employed with, so I think it would be more appropriate to continue forward instead of looking back.

as to the poster mentioning the fact about quitting before holidays, Christmas shopping is done. And I still have a fat paycheck coming, so were all good. Not one piece of electronics was bought either, so have at it. Only thing I am going to miss are some of the good people I worked with and some of the nice people that shopped there, and the three weeks of paid vacation I get every year.

I count my blessings, I have supportive parents who live close, a family that loves me no matter what, a network of friends offering a helping hand, and my health. These are the things that matter and count. I don't think I could ask for anything more. As far as I can see it, I still have it better than a good lot in this country, and plan on making my situation better.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
a reply to: DYepes

I've been there, quitting jobs after many years...but for me it was a lead up to the inevitable and I always felt so much better with a new future ahead of me, with new open doors and windows. And you know what? It always worked out.

Is there something you enjoy doing (work-wise) that you can expand on (educationally)? Sales? Manufacturing techniques?

This right here. This sums it up...

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
remember this, there's life after a job. I quit a job i was at for 13 years, a manager and very well respected. i loved the job. Until one day this # decided to start to get on my case about everything and make my job a living hell. Reporting her did no good. That job helped me buy my 1st new car, travel the world, expensive clothes and much more. One day the stress got so bad i walked out and never looked back. life is an experience, and i learned some great things. i learned you don't need money to enjoy life. I've learned to enjoy the small things in life. those small beautiful moments. Yes i did end up losing allot of material things. there were allot of things i couldn't afford anymore. But it taught me that love and human relationships are more important then money. could no longer eat at fancy restaurants but so what. i survived and found other jobs. it really helped me grow as a person and realize whats really important in life. when i look back i think wow i was a spoiled brat! i survived. i found other jobs and never looked back. if i would have stayed at that job forever i would have never learned allot of good lessons. well that's my story. i wish you the best!

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I feel your pain. Wal mart has some problems, certainly. Much of it is from thinking that a computer program can schedule fewer people over the right hours and save money. The problem is that they base it on sales over hours and not hours where work can be done. Nights is the time when work gets done. Evenings is where sales are and more people at that time would stop theft by being on the sales floor and also being used to replenish shelves. But they cut staffing so there aren't enough people to service customers and help keep merchandise stocked.
Then too you have this obsession about inventory. They have morning people and afternoon people who do little besides count whats on the shelves and whats in the backroom. They don't actually help customers, and they don't bring merchandise out to the floor. They just count it. The BIA system is a bad one, one designed to be the minimum level of efficiency overall. Instead of workers bringing out merchandise and knowing departments, they wait for a computer readout to tell them what to bring out. That's so poorly thought out its sad. And they can't count correctly, leading to discrepancies. Its created roadblocks to getting merchandise to the salesfloor, now it sits in the backroom in bins or on pallets. Or in trailers.
What can you do? many people can't work evening hours, say noon to 9 PM when the busiest times are. Mornings are when sales are lightest and that's when they have an abundance of staffing with the least to do. Oh, wait. They do have to count.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I am sorry to hear of your nervous breakdown at work. Maybe you can see a doctor and make sure
That you really are okay? If you have worked your job a long time, maybe you need a rest with a doctors note so you can keep your job. You must be good at your job because you've had it a long time.
Try to get some professional help just to make sure you are doing the right thing.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
After reading the original post all I can say is I am happy you are no longer in customer service. Wow.

Seems like you need a job where you never talk to people.
edit on 3-12-2014 by InvisibleOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
seriously, I have worked in the highest volume customer service company on Earth for the past decade, and spoke with literally hundreds of people a day to help them find their consumer needs. I AM a people person. The majority of my rant was aimed at my employer and supervisors specifically. there comes a point when all the things piling up around you that have been going downhill which inhibit your ability to correctly serve your clientele will make someone break. Well that is if you are proud of the work you do. If you don't really care then you just shuffle through a handful of hourly wage jobs every year, like many of the staff who come and go.

Take this for example, as a result of piss poor management, there are over a dozen storage trailers outside eating up valuable parking space to hold excess inventory that the management team does not even want to go get if a customer needs that item and it is outside. Before black Friday week for instance, I had three different customers that wanted the same ninja turtles 16" boys bike for $71 and some change. The first associate one customer spoke with simply lied to them and said they went out into the trailer and came back said there were none. The customer came to me knowing he was lying because it was raining that day and when he came back about a minute later not a drop of dampness, completely dry. So that upsets me because I worked electronics, and that gentleman was the outdoor, garden associate that handles bikes, and he took the lazy route and lied and thusly I wanted to make sure that client was properly served.

I grabbed the electronic scanning device, scanned the upc, and discovered they were binned in one trailer. When I got one of my supervisors and explained it, I told him I would go out and the rain and even hold an umbrella for him. he approached the shopped and fed some bs line of incorrect inventory, and they walked away. near the end of my shift, we had another shopped want the same one. I approached the night supervisor, explained it, and said "I will go out there for you in the rain it does not matter this store needs every sale we can get." he was open enough to give me the keys and go hunting for it, which I did on my own and the trailers were not labeled so I had to play guess the trailer for twenty minutes. I finally found the bike trailer, got it out, and the shopper was happy. Unfortunately that set me back in my closing duties but I managed to tidy up and leave the area spotless still, ad only stayed an extra seven minutes to do so.

it is not so much customer service I am having a problem with, I love people. I can no longer stand technology and needed to get out of that department. I am not a college educated technician or educator. I am not here to walk people who are completely ignorant of technology through the use or even the working details behind the technology for which they wish to spend their hundreds of hard earned overtime money on which they end up breaking in three days time. There are features, I summarize the best of those features, maybe a little background on the company that makes it, maintain courtesy and make the sell. I had to do this many many times in a day, and its not like Best Buy where I can leisurely take thirty minutes to help one person walk through everything, because our customer volume makes that impossible. Imagine you coming in to a Wal-Mart tomorrow night, all you want to do is find which tablet has the fastest processor and best display and buy it. Except, there are five other people waiting for something else as well an the only person currently present on the sales floor is trying to explain to an elderly woman why her iphone charger will not work on her non-apple brand Bluetooth as well, and she keeps looping the same questions over and over again for fifteen minutes. The persons only other co-worker is running around the store as fast as possible because he is trying to fulfill all of the online pick up today orders which for some strange reason get placed on the under staffed department which has to service the highest volume of shoppers in multiple locations.

How do you feel as a consumer?? How do you think I feel as the associate on hand seeing that line of frustrated customers grow?? Eventually I have to finally cut the lady off, close it as politely as possible, and then the woman still goes and complains not that the department needs more people to help, but that I was rude to not finish with her and moved on to other people when I can only give the same correct answer so many times before I have to just quit. And then the next person just wants to be angry because I was taking too long??? Thankfully the supervisors at least understood that situation, it does it matter? Do they hire more people? nope, and the stress just continues to build because I have to smile and be polite no matter the nastiness of the shopper. And I have to go make keys, and get bikes down, and come back to my area finally where people are waiting and waiting and angry.

You go do that for a decade and hold it in and tell me how well you do.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
In the real world life, quitting is not the answer. The company will find someone that is like you, or even better. It is your place to step up and deal with it. Like, I do. Always make yourself available. If not, then others step over you. You don't want someone, taking your credit. Which will happen and you have let happen.
edit on 4-12-2014 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Dude trust me, I have been trying to do what you have been telling me for awhile. It never changes anything. After I clear up the little debt during tax time, I want to see about opening my own sandwich shop anyways. Me and my pop have been talking about that for some time. not to mention I can under sell Wal-Mart with the very same cheap Chinese chargers and cables and memory by buying direct from china myself in that very same shop.

Fact I had a table for those very same supplies at my dads nutrition club before he sold it to another person to pursue remodeling houses with his buddies. It was actually bringing people in when we put up the signing on the window saying we sold the stuff there.

Plus I still do scrap metal salvage on the side, so I can free up some time to continue that. That's my passion. I love disassembling things and sorting out the parts. When I had a truck its actually what I did on my lunch breaks from Wal-Mart lol. Breaking stuff sure does take the stress away.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Rodinus

Wow. A person gets fed up to the eyeballs with the daily s^^t they've put up with for 10 years and all you can do is critique his rant. Tell them they should be PC and not use words that may hurt someone's feelings. Oh, by the way, if they're working in this country at a chain store that's supposed to be as patriotic as this one claims to be, they should speak English. No, I don't care care if they got off the boat or over the border yesterday, if they're going to live and work in this country, speak the damn language.

Thanks for your response David.

Please point out where I criticized the OPs rant... I am curious?

By the way as to the "Speak the damn language" remark... what is the NATIVE Indian American language in your opinion... Please tell me? :

Thousands of languages were spoken by various peoples in North and South America prior to their first contact with Europeans. These encounters occurred between the beginning of the 11th century (with the Nordic settlement of Greenland and failed efforts at Labrador and Newfoundland) and the end of the 15th century (the voyages of Christopher Columbus). Several indigenous cultures of the Americas had also developed their own writing systems, the best known being the Mayan.[3] The indigenous languages of the Americas had widely varying demographics, from the Quechua languages, Aymara, Guarani, and Nahuatl, which had millions of active speakers, to many languages with only several hundred speakers. After pre-Columbian times, several indigenous creole languages developed in the Americas, based on European, indigenous and African languages.

More here : en.wikipedia.org...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 4/12/14 by Rodinus because: Question added

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
With the first few sentences I figured you worked at Walmart or Sam's club. I work at the latter, it is all about pleasing home office. Good luck on your journey.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Buddy, I hear and salute you.

I could never work in retail. I can't SHOP in a Walmart without contemplating murder, let alone work at one.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors, I truly believe you made a good choice, at least by leaving dead end Walmart.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Reply to Rodinus :

By the way as to the "Speak the damn language" remark... what is the NATIVE Indian American language in your opinion... Please tell me? :

You know as well as I do that English is the "unofficially official" language of the U.S. To pretend any different is just an attempt to muddy the water. If I go to Mexico to live and work, wouldn't I be expected to learn Spanish? Or shall I learn Mayan? Or Aztec? Maybe Inca?

edit on 4-12-2014 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Reply to Rodinus :

You know as well as I do that English is the "unofficially official" language of the U.S. To pretend any different is just an attempt to muddy the water. If I go to Mexico to live and work, wouldn't I be expected to learn Spanish? Or shall I learn Mayan? Or Aztec? Maybe Inca?

I understand your point of view David and believe me I respect it too.

Maybe I may seem to be muddying the water a little but it was just the way the phrase "speak the damn language" came across...

In my own opinion, If legal immigrants are allowed to work and have the permits and all that, should there not be a program set up in order that they are obliged to follow a certain amount of set lessons to learn the basics of the national language and then pass an exam?

Over here in France (and I believe in Germany too) this has been put into place in many major cities with large immigrant populations and is free of charge (which incites people even more to learn the language.)

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 4/12/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling... I should take English lessons too...

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

I agree with the way he said "speak the damn language."

It shows frustration, which I also agree with. I would NEVER presume to go anywhere in the world outside the US and expect them to speak English.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
look, when a Cuban, or Colombian, or El Salvadorian, or Mexican immigrant tells you in Spanish he has lived here for thirty years and has no plans on ever learning or speaking English, and just demands someone that speaks Spanish making me leave my area and stop what I am doing to walk halfway across the store just to translate and tell him the toilet paper is right here, well that is goddamn bull# frustrating.

Most European tourists in other countries usually are kind enough to pickup some of the language in an effort to be polite. I would say probably less so with us Americans, but thanks to us and the UK English language is taking over the world of business and industry anyways so it usually is not a problem to find someone speaking English in another country. Is it right to demand someone though when you are the visitor (or immigrant of thirty years) and refuse to speak any other language?

I spend time in New Mexico a lot, a very high Native American population there, and yet they mostly all speak English or Spanish now. Go figure.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Today's corporations no longer look at their workers as free spirited human's but as slaves. I would recommend if you ever quit another job to find a new one before quiting the old one.

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Congrats on leaving that awful place. I despise Wal-Fart and most of the people that shop there are inconsiderate facks! I try to avoid it at all costs. I couldn't tell you how many times I've had my ankles run over by some lard-@$$ taking up the entire 5 feet wide shopping lane.

Sounds like every day at work was the worst day of your life (Office Space), so it's a good thing you are moving on to what will hopefully make you happy. Good luck!

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

You have some money you can put to work or just pay
bills with it and then what do you have? Go some storage
auctions and try to win some bids. Then broker the stuff
at swap meets and yard sales. There's tips online for getting
started and you might end up looking like you knew what you
were doing the whole time. Or kick it til you have nothing left.
You made a move and kudos for that. Now make it work.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join