It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

html/wepbpage question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
so i have a dilemma, a friend of mine gave me his website, and wants me to change a bunch of stuff on it, no problem. the problem is all the images, i need all the images to display so that i can make sure there are no sizing issues and all that jazz. all of the "//folder/blah.jpg" for the images, are all set to the server. i dont want to go through and change all the sources individually to a folder on my pc. no access to his server since it is down at the moment. (his pc). is there a batch file or something that can be run to change all the sources or am i doomed to have to go to each one and change them individually. any help would be appreciated....he gave me all the photos on a thumb drive too by the way, thats y i need to change it to test it.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Scratch that. Without access to the files i just dont know what to say. :/
edit on 12/2/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: neomaximus10

Does the editor that you are using have a search find/replace? Maybe that would work for you? Just trying to think outside the box.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Try copying them from the thumb drive to a subfolder and use something like : img s_r_c"/images/my_image_to_display.jpg" alt="Original Content" style="width:666px;height:666px"

Obviously change the px to fit the image you want to display.

You could also upload the images to the web using photobucket or something, and try : img s_r_c"http://www.URLHERE.com/path/to/image/you/want/to/display" alt="whatever" style="width:456px;height:789px"

edit on 2-12-2014 by AnonyMason because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-12-2014 by AnonyMason because: html code does not show up right on ATS. s_r_c needs to be changed to s r c with no spaces or underscores

edit on 2-12-2014 by AnonyMason because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

And yes, without access to the other server, you will have to change the sources for all the pics.

The joys of html

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Been there for a friend....gave up. You said "no problem"? Big problem. More complicated than just HTML coding as other members have suggested.

Send him back to the website creator. HAve them do it for him...Unless youre lucky at this stuff...you can end up tearing your hair out trying.

Yep. Youll need to re-do all the pics. All of them. Sizing and new source locations.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Hard to advise without seeing how your original file locations are coded. If the page(s) you're working with are calling up images from a central directory on the server, like "images / image01.jpg", etc, then you can put the html page(s) in a folder on your PC, along with a folder titled "images", which contains the image files. You should then be able to see the whole thing by pulling up the page(s) in a browser.
If there are several directories, it should still work if you duplicate the directories the same way.

If there are differences in the image source that you can't mimic on your box, You could use Notepad (assuming you're on a Windows PC) to open the html page, & replace the path to the images by using the Find command in the Edit menu to find every incidence of the original path, then replace the path with your own. The first time, leave the "Find" box open & type in the new path in the body of the html. Then copy the new path to the clipboard. After that, use the Find command to go to the next one. The original path will be highlighted already. Right-click anywhere in the text to choose "Paste", replacing the already highlighted path with your new one. Repeat as needed until finished.

It can be tedious with a lot of changes, but it's a pretty good method if you don't have an html editing software that will do bulk replacements for you.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
im not too good with html, what is the alt command for? also, the src for every image on 8 pages is example: hissite.com/folder/folder/folder/file.jpg. i need to change it to c:/pics/file.jpg

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

A "search and replace" on a text editor will do the trick, search for "hissite.com/folder/folder/folder/" and replace it with "c:/pics/".

That will work as long as the images are there and accessible.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Do you want all the pics to be the same size or do you want to resize to save bandwidth or for page design?

I think if you focus on the why that the answer to the how will be easier to figure out.

There are batch file program solutions or you could outsource to India or some place for real cheap. You could use CSS or IMG size commands in your code.

I don't understand what the basic problem is the way you described it.

Wait, think I get it. Can't you use relative files in your commands, ie. ../../../ Use a good editor to find and replace all the img sources.

edit on 3-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comment

edit on 3-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

edit on 3-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added another comment

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

the image files are actually svg viewer files, lots of java. i guess the best way to explain it is this: imagin if you went to a website, copied all the html files and picture files to your pc from the server directories, and when you open the html page from your pc, all the pictures are red x since it is strying to load the pages from the original source, i need to change all the original sources from the server to my pc. not the best example since its an illegal example lol, but its the best way i can explain it.

outsourcing may be the best way, since i need to find every and change whats in it

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: neomaximus10
im not too good with html, what is the alt command for? also, the src for every image on 8 pages is example: hissite.com/folder/folder/folder/file.jpg. i need to change it to c:/pics/file.jpg

The command "alt=" tells a browser what text to display when the cursor is placed on an image. Not all browsers display the text; it can be tested with IE (one of my few remaining uses for the dinosaur).

Notepad will do the trick for you: you can use Notepad as I described above to replace the image paths. Use the Find command to find every instance of "hissite.com/folder/folder/folder/" & paste in "pics/". Make sure you have the html pages & the pics folder in the same larger folder, & it will work. No need to pay good money to an outsourcing company for that, & you'll get a better "feel" for how html works.
edit on 12/3/2014 by BuzzCory because: Additional clarification

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: neomaximus10

the image files are actually svg viewer files, lots of java. i guess the best way to explain it is this: imagin if you went to a website, copied all the html files and picture files to your pc from the server directories, and when you open the html page from your pc, all the pictures are red x since it is strying to load the pages from the original source, i need to change all the original sources from the server to my pc. not the best example since its an illegal example lol, but its the best way i can explain it.

outsourcing may be the best way, since i need to find every and change whats in it

I see, then you need to use an HTML editor or note pad and then search the html code on each page for the code that has the i_m_g s_r_c = "" command. You then change the i_m_g s_r_c = "" to your source in a relative file using the ../ command.

Let's use the following example (under score is no space).

i_m_g s_r_c ="http://website.com/file/beach.jpg" width="475" height="317" border="0" alt="The small beach has lifesaving gear, but no lifeguard"

When the website is in your computer and you don't want the browser to get the pictures from the original server, you need to change the src part to read like this . . .

i_m_g s_r_c = "../file/beach.jpg" width="475" height="317" border="0" alt="The small beach has lifesaving gear, but no lifeguard"

Or like this I believe (it's been a while) . . .

i_m_g s_r_c = "../../beach.jpg" width="475" height="317" border="0" alt="The small beach has lifesaving gear, but no lifeguard"

I hope this will help you and in the future if you code HTML, doing this way is the best when editing it on your computer without being connected to the internet. When you upload it to any server, it will work like it does on your computer.

edit on 3-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
ok, so i was playing around with the find option in frontpage 2003, and saw 3 tabs, one was find, replace, and something else. i started playing with the replace tab, and was able to have it find ex: "//folder/folder/folder/file.svg" and replace it with " " which is nothing, since all the files r in one folder, and BAM! it WORKED, saved me so so so much time, thank you everyone for helping, it was extremely appreciated. thank you armapp for the correct answer, and thank you buzz for the correct solution as well!

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Yes, basically what you have done is used relative files (../) by only referencing the picture file. The browser defaults to the folder file your webpage is in. If you had to go through the directory tree to locate the picture file, then the ../ command does that without calling out the folder file name.

You have basically have done what I was talking about - you're welcome.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
And I thank u good sir

new topics

top topics

join