It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sheriff defends stopping black man for walking with his hands in his pockets

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o

There is a supreme court case, Terry V. something er other, that upholds what the cop did.
It's even called a "Terry Stop"
The cop had the right to search him even, if he wanted to. IMO the cop handled the situation beautifully.

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
A terry stop requires criminal activity to have taken place. No crime happened.

Please, dont cite legal precedence unless you know what you are talking about.

Please, check ya facts before discrediting
Terry Stop Wiki

From your own source:

police may briefly detain a person whom they reasonably suspect is involved in criminal activity

CRIMINAL ACTIVITY. Tell me, what criminal activity waht there ANY evidence of?

Wow, now Im embarrassed for you.....
edit on 5-12-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: captaintyinknots

I'm not arguing that there is a problem with abuse of authority from the police. I agree, it is a situation that is in serious need of addressing in this country. But THIS situation is not an example of that. It's just a police officer doing his duty.
This is ABSOLUTELY just that. It is another simple step toward authoritarian power.

Dont worry about it though. Like I said before, people wont get it until it is too late.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Thats fear my friend.

im not afraid
my friend

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

Thats fear my friend.

im not afraid
my friend
you are. You just dont want to admit it.

Supporting police intervention because someone *might* *possibly* be *thinking about* committing a crime is fear.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

oh thats right.
you know more about what i feel than i do.
gotcha

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I'm not arguing that there is a problem with abuse of authority from the police. I agree, it is a situation that is in serious need of addressing in this country. But THIS situation is not an example of that. It's just a police officer doing his duty.
This is ABSOLUTELY just that. It is another simple step toward authoritarian power.

Dont worry about it though. Like I said before, people wont get it until it is too late.

Your point would be valid except that this is what cops have been doing since cops were cops. Cops DO need some authoritarian power. After all they are supposed to be keepers of the peace, so they need to be able to tell people what to do in order to achieve that. Or would you prefer cops have no authority whatsoever?

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

There is a supreme court case, Terry V. something er other, that upholds what the cop did.
It's even called a "Terry Stop"
The cop had the right to search him even, if he wanted to. IMO the cop handled the situation beautifully.

Please, dont cite legal precedence unless you know what you are talking about.

Please, check ya facts before discrediting
Terry Stop Wiki

From your own source:

police may briefly detain a person whom they reasonably suspect is involved in criminal activity

CRIMINAL ACTIVITY. Tell me, what criminal activity waht there ANY evidence of?

Wow, now Im embarrassed for you.....

Since when is asking someone some questions on the street detaining someone? Most people call that a conversation.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Seems like a setup...

The black guy was ready for the encounter and so most likely did what he did to create suspicion and the calling of the cops. I'm white but I will bet anyone on this site I can get the cops to come up to me and ask questions and not do anything but walk around. I would just stare right into the eyes of every passer by then when the cops came I would say...You are asking me questions because I'm looking around? there are millions of people in the city looking around.. Are you sure you didn't stop me because I'm white....

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
From your own WORDS

First you say a crime has to be committed, then back peddle, then use my exact argument against me? Then insult me?
Weird.
Anyway, when the store owner called, he was officially suspected of criminal activity, giving the cop the right to stop and search him. (even though he didn't search him)
When a crime is committed, it would not be a terry stop, he would be arrested for committing a crime.(duh)
RECAP:
No crime was committed, only suspected. Cop comes and checks it out, lets man go.
using the facts above, this could be classified as a "Terry Stop"

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Yet another "Police stop BLACK MAN in the street" article...when it could read simply "Police stop MAN"...

Yet more hype over the fact he was black before the fact he was actually stopped for nothing...
edit on AM1Mon20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

Looking through a window is not criminal activity.

The store owner was worried that criminal activity might be ABOUT to take place.

None had. None did.

So what was he suspected of? A crime that had not yet been committed? A crime that he may be thinking about committing?

Seriously. This is embarrassing.
edit on 8-12-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I never said anything about detaining. I responded to someone claiming this was a terry stop.

It was not.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Ok you know what. Just go on believing this was an abuse in power. You are clearly the only one and just can't let it go, but fine if that is what you want to believe, go ahead. I don't care anymore. This is such a non-issue to me that I don't even want to argue with you anymore. Maybe we'll talk again in a REAL police abuse of authority thread.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

i understand the frustration of the 'stoppee' but also think the cop was much less confrontational than many have been in similar encounters. but then, he was alone. this particular incident was handled relatively well. the bigger issue is the fear that makes some people call the cops because a black man is walking down their street.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit
-Store owner sees someone doing something that raises concerns about the safety of his business/employees/customers.
-Store owner calls the police, reports suspicious behavior.
-Police respond to the call by talking to the guy, and find there is no reason to take it any further.
-The video ends with a #ing high five between the cop and the citizen who was stopped.

No unneeded search.
No hostility from the officer.
Just QUITE LITERALLY serving and protecting, as per his job description.

What more could you ask for when interacting with the police?

edit on 12/8/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I agree with your take on this. I can understand the shop owner being nervous but no crime was committed.

Women who are stalked or have violent ex's often have a tough time getting restraining orders. Verbal threats aren't enough. I believe physical contact is required. Even if the guy is hanging around outside that's not enough to arrest him or detain him.

I love crime shows. Women just about have to be beaten to death before anything is done. In one case the guy broke into the woman's home, took pics of her sleeping and mailed them to her. That was enough to finally have him arrested. She put up with him stalking her for the longest time yet nothing was done until he actually broke in...scary S%&#.

Don't see why protecting business assets is more important than protecting defenseless scared women.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morningglory

I agree with your take on this. I can understand the shop owner being nervous but no crime was committed.

Women who are stalked or have violent ex's often have a tough time getting restraining orders. Verbal threats aren't enough. I believe physical contact is required. Even if the guy is hanging around outside that's not enough to arrest him or detain him.
but the cops dont just hang up the phone and go back to their snack. the cops come out and talk to the guy. just like what happened here. then they talk to the lady and tell her what needs to be done to detain him or get a protection order

Don't see why protecting business assets is more important than protecting defenseless scared women.

well, as i said, if you call the cops cause someone is making you nervous out there by your tree...just giving you a feeling and you call 911 they will come. they will talk to him. they will talk to you.
thats what happened here.

this guys store had been robbed several times. he panicked and called the cops.
a few minute conversation handled the situation.
its a non issue

do you only want the cops around after something happens? to pick up the pieces...
i kind of like the fact that a cop coming out after a call 'might' prevent or deter a crime.

we are not talking minority report where people get arrested for future crimes.
we are talking about a citizen that is afraid or concerned for whatever reason....im glad the cops show.

if you call 911 from a land line and hang up when the cops answer, they will send a car to you...but why?
no crime has been committed.
pretty damn cool that they come and check it out though...you know, just in case.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
c'mon....can't anyone admit that the black guy was near the shop when the cop went by, and thus the cop automatically thought that he was suspicious. why would he even get out of his car to have a conversation?...couldn't the cop just have observed what was going on from his patrol car after making a pass or two?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
c'mon....can't anyone admit that the black guy was near the shop when the cop went by, and thus the cop automatically thought that he was suspicious.

no.
wont admit it cause it didnt happen

The sheriff said that before McKean was questioned, a business owner called 911,

so, yeah

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Cop stops me for -anything-, I have only one response for them.

"Am I under arrest? If I'm not, am I free to go?"

Continue to ask those two questions when asked anything until I am either charged, arrested, or told I am free to go.

I don't care if he is asking me what time it is.
edit on 8-12-2014 by AgentShillington because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join