It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

boxing vs mma.....lets go

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If theyre hitting a tire with a hamner its probably the emulation of escrimadors beating stacks of tires with their sticks for conditioning and for developing power. Old, old training technique.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

possibly....but whe you are doing tire retreads you use a sledgehammer and not a stick.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Totally possible.

as far as prison arts go. There is a art called 52 blocks. They claim it was made by inmates in prison. But it looks suspect as hell. All the blocking techniques are literally lifted strait from kali/silat and south east asian martial arts, with a little western boxing thrown in.

Seems like whoever taught them this stuff in the pen was well versed in south east Asian MA. So it wouldn't be a surprise to me If they lifted the training methods of stick/blade fighters.

The sad part is now the 52 block guys are claiming their bad kali and boxing is really some secret ancient central African ma. Passed on by the slaves, wich kept it a secret. Or something like that. Im like you sure you guys arent confusing the angola capoeira story?

Anyways, its not like folks in the pen like to steal or misrepresent material facts.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Well there it is! McGregor's run through Mendes and validated his claims...again. I wanted a McGregor win and had edged towards a Chad victory during last week

Dana's making big bank and Connor's probably seeing 6 or 7 figures coming his way with the inevitable PPV headliner that will come when Aldo returns. UFC will have a lot of work to do projecting a personality on Aldo to attract those sales.

ETA - here's some highlights from the Connor perspective

edit on 7.12.2015 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Thanks for posting this! I didn't watch the PPV, but I did read the live play by play from mmamania.com.

I also watched a pretty low quality video of Connors fight, that was impressive. It was obvious to me that those body kicks were key, they seemed to slow Mendes down more and more with each one landed. Even if they didn't look like much, he was digging his toes and ruining his opponents night with those. Made chad gas real quick and threw him off his gameplan a bit I think.

I liked how we got to see Connor deal with a bit of adversity and overcome. Also cool to see the humble respect.

It looks like Connor needs do exactly what he's already doing, but also work really hard to master wrestling, takedown defense, and Brazilian jui jitzu.

That fight exposed a couple holes in Connors game that will become a problem in the future if he doesn't fix them, That's just my personal opinion anyway.

One things for sure, I am definitely a Mcregor fan, his style Is so much fun to watch, I'm stoked he won and can't wait to see his next fight!
edit on 18-7-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Man! How about Tj Dillishaw?! Finally got the chance to watch the rematch today. Barao is clearly as tough as they come, you don't go, what was it? 35-0 for no reason, heart for days, no question there. Gotta respect that.

Geez though the footwork, style, confidence and accuracy of tj was something to behold!

Easily now my all time favorite bantamweight fight.

Very enertaining.
edit on 1-8-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
OMG Rhonda!

When I read the play by play of the fight my mind almost exploded.

34 seconds?

Not just the armbar anymore, now she can K people TFO......

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

yeah that was pretty impressive. the best part was since her opponent had been mocking her saying don't cry at the weigh in she gave her own medicine and told her "don't cry" after she knocked her out.

proves that good striking is every bit as useful as good grappling.

plus I'm enjoying looking at Ronda more and more outside of the ring too. I personally think she's attractive.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

She was like a hurricane throwing bricks and bruises in the onslaught. Not many people could withstand it.

I also agree, she's never looked better. Not just warrior-style fit...beautiful too. Then again she might have dropped that Rampage Jackson screwface lol.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

this right here is why I have a crush on Rhonda. awesome message and self confidence.

m.youtube.com...

and yeah her fighting form is flawless. sheet. I can beat up a lot of guys, but I'm pretty sure she can kick my ass and I'm pretty sure I'm cool with that.

edit on 3-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Ronda's punching technique leaves a lot to be desired, but it's above average for a woman, and her power is undeniable.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I wasn't talking about her punches or her judo.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Rumor has it Dana White has said as soon as Cyborg makes weight, that the fight will happen.

There has been speculation that Dana has been showing little interest in that match up in order to protect his lil money maker rowdy Ronda........

I think now that Rousey is clearly improving exponentially, developing a well rounded game, and showing no signs of slowing down, Cyborg doesn't seem like such a threat any longer.

Seems a bit unfair though possibly? The fact that cyborg must make 135, while the UFC is unwilling to make it a catch weight bout.

I could be wrong though, I don't know how much they differ in weight or how much of a cut that'd be for cyborg.

Once this goes down, who will be left to challenge her? What I think is happening is most of these female fighters have maybe 10 or so years in the game. Whereas RR has been fully submersed in martial arts basically her entire life.

Does anyone know of another woman who might be at her level of experience?

Not at all trying to take away from the sheer bada$$ness of Ronda Rousey, that talent is special and undeniable. A true gift to the fans as we witness her legacy unfold.

It's gotten to the point where I will be more excited for her fights than some other big names right now.

Gosh, and I just learned that what Correia screamed at Rousey at the weigh in was "Don't cry", well, after making the girl faceplant unconscious, Rousey repeated those words to her. Talk about vengance and making someone eat their words. holy cow. That's heavy.

I'm more of a fan of mutual respect and burying the hatchet as opposed to all that hatred, I love seeing that respect appear after a war when it happens, one of my favorite aspects of MMA.

Still gotta admit however, that's some pretty intense bad A stuff right there.

Eta: here's a Little something a found that lends some credence to the aforementioned rumor regarding Cyborg.

www.mmamania.com...

edit on 4-8-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
Rumor has it Dana White has said as soon as Cyborg makes weight, that the fight will happen.

There has been speculation that Dana has been showing little interest in that match up in order to protect his lil money maker rowdy Ronda........

Cyborg was already in the UFC and was offered Ronda, Cyborg flat out refused the fight and asked to be cut so she could fight in Invicta.

I think now that Rousey is clearly improving exponentially, developing a well rounded game, and showing no signs of slowing down, Cyborg doesn't seem like such a threat any longer.

Seems a bit unfair though possibly? The fact that cyborg must make 135, while the UFC is unwilling to make it a catch weight bout.

I could be wrong though, I don't know how much they differ in weight or how much of a cut that'd be for cyborg.

Cyborg normally trains at 172-175lbs, and was caught taking steroids. Before she was cut by the UFC and was going to fight at 135 she dropped 12-15lbs and was 160lbs. She only needs to lose 10 (145-135)
ETA: Ronda normally walks around at 152 (proven on TUF)

Once this goes down, who will be left to challenge her? What I think is happening is most of these female fighters have maybe 10 or so years in the game. Whereas RR has been fully submersed in martial arts basically her entire life.

Does anyone know of another woman who might be at her level of experience?

Not at all trying to take away from the sheer bada$$ness of Ronda Rousey, that talent is special and undeniable. A true gift to the fans as we witness her legacy unfold.

It's gotten to the point where I will be more excited for her fights than some other big names right now.

She's a huge shark in a shallow pond. 105 and 115 are much deeper, but don't have an Alpha like Ronda (JJ at 115 may be though in time).

TLDR: It's the most intriguing fight, but Cyborg seems to have little interest unless she can make the fight as unfair as possible, and she is making demands when she has literally zero leverage. Cyborg has been under Zuffa contract since February (Zuffa owns the UFC) and her contract states she is going to fight at 135, and thus far Cyborg has done everything possible to avoid it.
edit on 4-8-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Thanks for clearing that up for me Razor

I did not know those things about Cyborg. That whole situation seems pretty, for lack of a better term, whack.

So she'd have to lay off the juice, and that was the reason why she was a freaking welterweight in training. Minus the PEDs it sounds like the weight cut shouldn't be very drastic (if my reading comprehension is serving me at all right now) It does not sound unfair to expect her to make 135 anymore.

I'm thinking Cyborg with her ups and downs with chemicals and weights would be in deep water fighting an all natural beautiful beast in Ronda Rousey. Especially with a freight train of momentum behind her.

Not sure which strawweight you're referring to with jj?

What about Paige Vanzant? I just remembered her last fight was awesome and a lot of fun to watch. I have high hopes for that girl.

It's be cool to watch her go far, amd years from now be known as one of the greats.

I don't think she's fought since her last W? If not, when's her next fight?

I'm off to UFC.com to check out the schedule.....

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I'm sorry OP who it seems is no longer on ATS........maybe the thread title should be altered to "talk about MMA......let's go"

The answer was clear to begin with anyway, and what about other forms of martial art? That's why Mixed Martial Arts is clearly superior and more enertaining. It's all of them combined, true fighting yet with sportsmanship involved.

Maybe comparing the very early brutal bare knuckle beginnings of UFC/MMA, to boxing, which was more organized at the time would make sense.

Back then the ufc was kind of a freakshow like violence. Not quite like the evolved sport that exists today.

The sport that encompasses all, and forces the athletes to either be a rare absolute dominant ninja in their particular craft, or most beneficial, well versed in knowing how to handle all the positions one may find themselves facing in a fight.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
Thanks for clearing that up for me Razor

I did not know those things about Cyborg. That whole situation seems pretty, for lack of a better term, whack.

So she'd have to lay off the juice, and that was the reason why she was a freaking welterweight in training. Minus the PEDs it sounds like the weight cut shouldn't be very drastic (if my reading comprehension is serving me at all right now) It does not sound unfair to expect her to make 135 anymore.

She was 160 fairly recently. She can lose the muscle and get back to 160 any time she wants. Cutting to 135 from 172 would be ridiculous, but that's a straw man, she can diet down and lose muscle back to 160.

I'm thinking Cyborg with her ups and downs with chemicals and weights would be in deep water fighting an all natural beautiful beast in Ronda Rousey. Especially with a freight train of momentum behind her.

I think Rousey mauls her at 135, 140, or 145. I just realize 140 and 145 will never ever happen (nor should it with Cyborg's steroid fueled past), and 135 is possible, and Cyborg would STILL be bigger and stronger. Ronda just has far more skill.

Not sure which strawweight you're referring to with jj?

Joanna Jedrzejczyk, the champ.

What about Paige Vanzant? I just remembered her last fight was awesome and a lot of fun to watch. I have high hopes for that girl.

It's be cool to watch her go far, amd years from now be known as one of the greats.

I don't think she's fought since her last W? If not, when's her next fight?

I'm off to UFC.com to check out the schedule.....

I think she has a future, but it's too early to tell how far. I heard a rumor she is fighting Alex Chambers about a month ago, haven't seen anything official yet.

Michelle Waterson is one of my favorite female fighters, she's a 105 girl, just joined UFC 115 division. She's small for it but very skilled.

As far as Cyborg goes, there is more shady stuff I could bring up about her that would knock your socks off.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   

As far as Cyborg goes, there is more shady stuff I could bring up about her that would knock your socks off.

I think I might know where you're headed with that, and if correct, quite frankly I'm offended

Joking joking joking!

I despise this weird overly PC, "accept everything and if you don't something is wrong with you" direction society is embracing.

I either just stepped out on a sturdy limb, or a twig, but went for it anyway.

ETA: dagnabbit I think it was a twig, now I'm fairly curious as to what shady stuff you're referring to

I thought you were talking about something Fallon fox like.........I think I was wrong.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Haha no. She had a fight with a natural 125lb girl at 145lb. She did not bother cutting and weighed 151lb. She told everyone to leave so she could weigh in naked, everyone left it was just her and her husband in the room. They come back in and Cyborg magically weighs 145lb. The other girl calls bolloks, says she doesn't believe it, Cyborg claims her bikini weighed 6lbs.

The athletic commission checks the scale, it was tampered with. They fix it, Cyborg still weighs 151, swears she did not do anything, and then doesn't bother to lose any more weight and goes and eats.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Dang that's messed up.

Totally uncool and a danger to her opponent.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join