It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What separates actions from words?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Can words be experienced without actions? It seems not, as when words are thought of, spoken, written, typed or read, these are all forms of actions (and classified as verbs). Now, there is obviously a difference between saying 'I will mow the lawn tomorrow' and actually mowing the lawn the next day. But what, strictly, is that difference?

Many would say that it is actually making contact with the lawnmower and physically mowing the lawn that differentiates speech ('I will mow the lawn') from action (mowing the lawn). Another crucial criterion would be that the grass became shorter as a direct result of my mowing, compared to, say, writing on a piece of paper: "I am mowing the lawn".

The above example relies heavily on the physical, therefore the differentiation is rather easy. A more challenging example might involve the following: saying 'I will practice singing tomorrow' and actually practising singing the next day. What criterion could be used to measure whether I practised singing the next day or if I just said I did? (A tape recorder could be set up beforehand and used to record myself practising singing, but this is not direct confirmation that I actually sung when I said I did.)

Does our decision to say things influence our decision to take action? Does our decision to take action influence our decision to say things? Or am I now delving into the whole "Motivation before Action or Action before Motivation" topic?

Thoughts?

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

What separates actions from words?

Faith. You cannot act upon an idea if you are uncertain about your idea and, thus, have no faith in the exact outcome of your action.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Both, sometimes we announce our intentions and then do them, sometimes we say things and then this established claim entices us to follow through.

Ease is really the difference. It's easy to say youll do something in a given situation, far more difficult to follow through. It's easy to promise something to get what you want, and if you've then gotten what you want, why follow through on the action?

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Faith. You cannot act upon an idea if you are uncertain about your idea and, thus, have no faith in the exact outcome of your action.

I disagree. People do that all the time. For example, if being bullied by somebody else, I can think to myself: 'stop bullying me or else...' and end up punching the bully in the face instead of saying what I meant to say out loud.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ridhya
Ease is really the difference. It's easy to say youll do something in a given situation, far more difficult to follow through. It's easy to promise something to get what you want, and if you've then gotten what you want, why follow through on the action?

I disagree. Is it harder to admit you have a gambling addiction, or take the necessary steps to refrain from gambling? That might seem like an obvious question, but it is not if you have ever known somebody with such a problem.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I sometimes think that verbalised intent loses personal power.

Communicating the intent places some the power of motivation outside oneself, enlisting the aid of external expectations Those around you are set up with a specific idea of what you shall do and will point out if you do not do it. You may experience pressure coming from others , but in the direction of the goals you yourself set. So in my mind, they are simply echoing or acting out your own conscience. ..you have projected some of your own conscience or super ego, outside .

This can be helpful and necessary in some cases, in which the will has difficulty overcoming desires or drives (as in the case of addiction).

It can also be ineffective if a person denies the original projection, telling themself others are putting unfair expectations upon them, or have a conditioned habit of rebelling against authority of any kind. That authority can be interiorized or exterior, all that happens is conflict either way.

Another possible problem is dependancy upon exterior pressure. Doing this often can lead to the motivation coming completely from exterior sources so that there is no motivation from within- the person becomes completely incapable of self discipline while alone.

That is what I consider as the dynamic refered to when people say "giving away your power".

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I would counter saying, obviously admission comes first. If you dont believe you have a problem, you resist acting upon it. Of course, why would you act to fix an addiction that isnt there?

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

"What separates actions from words?"

The ability to put those words into action.

I can write down "I am going to personally and physically explore the surface of Mars tomorrow", but the ability to do so will not be there. Therefore, what I just wrote will become a piece of fiction tomorrow.

I can write or say things in such a way that will convince a woman to go out with me after she reads or hears it, then take action to try and make that happen. But if she says no, then what I wrote becomes a piece of fiction and what I said becomes..........something else. Only in this case, my ability to do that will be stifled by the woman....not me. So in this case, my ability to put those words into actions is dependant on the woman, not me. Not if I did everything in MY power to make it happen.

"Can words be experienced without actions?"

Of course. If by "experienced" you mean "felt". People do it all the time. "Forever 17" by Tim McGraw describes a certain type of woman. When a woman who is this way hears that song, or reads the words, she will be affected by it because, by and large, women like that feel as if they're the only one's like that. She will feel certain emotions because of those words. She will experience those words without any action being attributed to them. And to take that even further, if a man brings that song to her attention she will have no choice but to feel something for him as well. Again, those words were experienced by both parties without ANY action being taken.

Does our decision to say things influence our decision to take action?

I believe it does. And that influence can go either way. You can say that you're either going to do something or not do something. Saying it or writing it down can help you decide either way if you started out by being on the fence about it.

Of course these things only apply to people who like to think things out before doing something. You will always have the type who "Just Do It" without any forethought.

Maybe the best way to answer your questions though is to point out that you can very easily over think things. Doing this almost always has a negative effect over what you want to do. Only YOU know when it is time to stop thinking or writing about something, and do it.

Good Topic DG.
S&F
edit on 30-11-2014 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I disagree with your disagreements. Both egs, at least to me, seems valid.

I'd re-label 'faith' with the amount of 'horsepower'- based on necessity level?- used to implement the intention be it voiced or not.

IE. I will cut the grass tomorrow. It rains.... One goes, screw it, I'll cut it next weekend. OR, it rains, but your leaving for a month and the grass hasn't been cut for 3 weeks. You go, screw it, I will cut it anyways, rain or not.

In the case of the gambling addict that is missed is the intention to gamble in the first place, before it became an 'addiction'. Now that person is faced with conflicting intentions...again voiced or not.

Just saying...

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
conviction. it's when the 'spirit moves you'

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

"When the spirit move me". That works, say, Saturday morning on whether to get out of bed or not. Monday? It's the pay cheque that 'moves' me....

edit on 30-11-2014 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Most communication is non-verbal. I think it was Nietzsche who wrote that although a man may lie, with the way he shapes his mouth when doing so, he nonetheless tells the truth. Non-verbal communication is rarely considered in matters of discerning intent, and too much focus is spent on the words themselves rather than how it is communicated. I would wager that the reason that discourse on the Internet is so combative, is because we are completely unaware of the disposition and non-verbal cues of the one we are speaking to. Language, being much more than verbal communication, loses its strength in mediums such as these.

Wittgenstein argued that the meaning of words is not in the word, but in how the words are used, it's connection and relation to other words. If we agree with this, it follows that this connection relates to non-verbal language as well. How we use words, the action of language and not the language itself, presents itself as the intent of the speaker.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Aphorism

Bravo !! My friend ! or even if thou be mine enemy...yet I will praise the wise conveyance of thy thoughts through the skillful use of thy words. Resulting in succinct and clear expression. Not to say that I haven't read many well written posts on these forums .....yet your's stood out because of the efficient, clear stating of a valid point.

Harry

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Now to make a post regarding the OP. I have to say that I believe that our words must have some impact whether we physically act upon them or not. The reason that I say that is because of a verse in the Bible it is Matthew 12:36 Jesus is speaking and says " But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgement". Now I will be the first to say ...that verse scares the hell out of me ! And yet I do believe that it will be scientifically proven that our expressed intents through the use of words manipulates matter on the quantum level ! Now let's hope that lots of nice thoughts/words can undo lots of bad thoughts/words. I should hope that this is the case and that I shall proceed henceforth with caution and many kind words.
But, on to another matter. And that is the matter of accomplishing things in the here and now. I would have to contend that things do not happen here ( Barring the occasional interactions from other entities) unless we put forth mental and physical effort. And I for one have fallen far short of reaching any respectable level of accomplishment in the here and now. But, I have hope for that to change and it is my belief that the good people of ATS will play a big role in bringing about a great hope in the Earth. We perish for lack of vision and we only need to introduce a vision that we can collectively take hold of and we can truly build a new and bright tomorrow for our posterity.

I believe that all of the talents and resources necessary to accomplish tremendous goals exists within the use of this site and others like it. I believe that vision is here and will be made plain to us over the ensuing months. It will be a REAL hope for a new tomorrow and it is all easily within reach.

Harry

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I can surely tell you what separates words from actions...... What separates words from Actions is a man's will to pursue his goal. What you put in is what you will get out. You Reap what you Sow.

edit on 30-11-2014 by LoveSheild because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

The mind.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: EviLCHiMP

O yeah, great words of wisdom.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
maybe you can look at this way, although writing the words are in fact a action, they only express a thought. whareas if you get up off your butt and do something, not only are you expressing a thought, you are completing, acting on, accomplishing, fulfilling or what ever you decide to call it, and actually bringing it to fruition.
edit on 1-12-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LoveSheild

If the truth cannot be explained simply then one simply doesn't understand it enough. Isn't that so?

new topics

top topics

join