It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention: Guitar players

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
At two minutes past eleven, on the morning of 11 November 1919, a lone bugle call sounded across the British Empire. It signaled the end of the first two-minute silence held to remember the fallen of the Great War, and marked the moment when the Last Post became the default refrain for grief and remembrance.

Here's Mark Knopfler playing 'The Last Post':

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I would sacrifice the proverbial left one to play as well as Mark Knopfler.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Good lord..
How forget about him!
I'm ashamed to own six guitars and not give him a remembrance of credit to my inspiration..
I've been to wrapped up in ..
Megadeth..
Van Halen ..
Joe Satriani..
Steve Vai..
Slipknot... etc etc etc...

Thanks for sharing..

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I love Knopfler, Sultans of Swing was one of the first songs I learned on guitar a few decades ago...it taught my brain to construct melodies by using chord shapes, essentially introducing me to the rough idea of arpeggios early in my playing...and it's still one of my 'go-to' tracks when I wanna jam out.

I must say thanks for putting Knopfler back into my brain (as Bigburgh said, I've buried a few of my original inspirations under my current favorites). However I have to admit, with a title like "Attention: Guitar Players" I was hoping for something more than this. I understand the piece presented in the OP is powerful to many (myself included), but the guitarist in me will be leaving disappointed.

Time to jam some Sultans of Swing!

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

I was hoping for something more than this.

Sorry.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaosComplex

I love Knopfler, Sultans of Swing was one of the first songs I learned on guitar a few decades ago...it taught my brain to construct melodies by using chord shapes, essentially introducing me to the rough idea of arpeggios early in my playing...and it's still one of my 'go-to' tracks when I wanna jam out.

I must say thanks for putting Knopfler back into my brain (as Bigburgh said, I've buried a few of my original inspirations under my current favorites). However I have to admit, with a title like "Attention: Guitar Players" I was hoping for something more than this. I understand the piece presented in the OP is powerful to many (myself included), but the guitarist in me will be leaving disappointed.

Time to jam some Sultans of Swing!

The Sultans is one of mine too. You have to concentrate to remember all the different licks, my trick is to add one of my own licks in quiet singing patches.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
a reply to: ChaosComplex

I was hoping for something more than this.

Sorry.

No need for apologies, it's just rare that I stumble across a new guitar-oriented thread here at ATS so I was (probably overly) excited to see what was inside...

top topics

join